Pop-up Blocker

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

SierraSonic
Avant Version:

Pop-up Blocker

Post by SierraSonic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:52 am

I think we should have a choice between windows XP SP2's Pop up blocker, vs Avants.

I frankly prefer SP2's Pop-up blocker to avants as it has 3 settings and the middle settings blocks any pop-up ive come near. Sure Avants is more configurable, but SP2's is jsut good by default.

Also, there should be a check if SP2 is installed, to prevent someone from trying to use SP2's when the SP1 installed.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Pop-up Blocker

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:02 am

SierraSonic wrote:I think we should have a choice between windows XP SP2's Pop up blocker, vs Avants.
You can, I do.
SierraSonic wrote:Also, there should be a check if SP2 is installed, to prevent someone from trying to use SP2's when the SP1 installed.
What?
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper. -Benjamin Franklin
Where's the dancing and singing monkey?

SierraSonic
Avant Version:

Post by SierraSonic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:23 am

SweetLou wrote:
SierraSonic wrote:I think we should have a choice between windows XP SP2's Pop up blocker, vs Avants.
You can, I do.
How?
SweetLou wrote:
SierraSonic wrote:Also, there should be a check if SP2 is installed, to prevent someone from trying to use SP2's when the SP1 installed.
What?
[/quote]A safety check for people who havnt installed SP2, Avant would then disable the option.

But as you said its posible to use the SP2 popup blocker, mind explaining how?

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:37 am

Disable what function? If you are talking about not using SP2's popup blocker... If you don't have it, you can't use it. How is this a security issue? It's a pop up issue, nothing to do with security.
Avant will use SP2's pop up blocker by default, depending on what version you have. In the Avant folder, is the executable called Avant.exe or iexplore.exe? If it is Avant.exe change it to iexplore.exe. You will need to upgrade your shortcuts to the executable though.

SierraSonic
Avant Version:

Post by SierraSonic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:55 am

Erm you misunderstant, never said its a security issue. ~.~

I said so people withotu SP2 wont try to active the SP2 popup blocker.

Anyway forget about that. But why does the filename need to be changed to iexplorer.exe?

And no, it doesnt use SP2's pop up blocker by default, as it uses avants by default. I disabled the Popup blocker through Avant, but still had it enabled in Internet Options. Popups were everywhere.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:09 am

SierraSonic wrote:And no, it doesnt use SP2's pop up blocker by default, as it uses avants by default. I disabled the Popup blocker through Avant, but still had it enabled in Internet Options. Popups were everywhere.

Because SP2 was written to work with IE and IE only (and iexplore.exe is also IE's filename....)

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:19 am

SierraSonic wrote:A safety check for people who havnt installed SP2, Avant would then disable the option.

A safety check? This isn't security? What is your idea of "safety"?
Yes, Mystery, it does only work with IE and like I said, I don't know what version of Avant you are using. Avant's executable was also iexplore.exe at one time. When it was, it used the SP2's blocker. Now in the beta's and maybe 9.02.xx it was changed back to Avant.exe. I don't remember when exactly it was changed. But it is simple if you want to use it, just change the name.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:29 pm

Like SweetLou and Mystery have said, changing the name of Avant's executable to iexplore will allow you to use SP2's popup blocker. Also, you should start getting IE's Image Toolbar (although I prefer Avant's) and IE's Automatic Image Re-sizing (and another "although", some people have not been able to get this to show and we can't figure out why.)

SierraSonic wrote:I said so people withotu SP2 wont try to active the SP2 popup blocker.

This doesn't make sense. SP2's popup blocker is activated in Internet Options and isn't set through Avant's options. People without SP2 don't even have the option to use it or activate it.

JohnB
Windows Version: 8
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: 10

Post by JohnB » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:57 pm

Windows XPSP2 Security features can be added to ‘avant.exe’ by adding the program name to the keys in the registry that determine which IE based browsers can use the functionality.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\ ..
for the whole machine or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\ ..
for individual users.

this can allow other options like activex blocking, searching for the keys on microsoft.com will tell you what they mean.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:02 pm

If you guys bear in mind SierraSonic didn't know renaming AB would make SP2's pop up blocker function, his idea made sense.

He said if SP2 was installed, AB should ask the user if he/she wants to use AB's pop up blocker or SP2's pop up blocker. If SP2 was not installed then AB would automatically just use it's own blocker no question asked.

I don't think he realized both blockers could run simultaneously.

In any event, If SP2 is installed & its blocker activated, I think it should automatically work in AB. No questions or executible name changing required. And from what JohnB just posted that would seem to be possible.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:08 pm

NO!!!!!! I don't want to add code to my webpages just so I don't have to click on that information bar all the time.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by bigC » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:18 pm

huh? Now I'm confused.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:50 pm

With SP2 local scripts can't be ran. The information bar will pop up asking if it is ok to run the script. There is a way (actually three ways) around this. The easiest and best for me is to add <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet --> the (0014) is the number of charcters that follow the (xxxx). so you can have something like <!--saved from url=(0022)fourm.avantbrowser.com --> I just find (0014)about:internet easy to remember. So, now I have two copies of Avant one called iexplore.exe for browsing the web and having all the security features of SP2 and one called avant.exe for when I am working on my pages locally, this will not use the SP2 security features so I don't have to add the line above.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by bigC » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:52 pm

Well if Anderson makes "avant.exe" work with the SP2 features then wouldn't renaming a copy to, for example, sweetlousavant.exe still do what you want?

SierraSonic
Avant Version:

Post by SierraSonic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:00 pm

bigC wrote:If you guys bear in mind SierraSonic didn't know renaming AB would make SP2's pop up blocker function, his idea made sense.

He said if SP2 was installed, AB should ask the user if he/she wants to use AB's pop up blocker or SP2's pop up blocker. If SP2 was not installed then AB would automatically just use it's own blocker no question asked.

I don't think he realized both blockers could run simultaneously.

In any event, If SP2 is installed & its blocker activated, I think it should automatically work in AB. No questions or executible name changing required. And from what JohnB just posted that would seem to be possible.
Exactly! Thanks for the back-up. :P

So will this idea be considered?

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:18 pm

I like "sweetlouavant.exe" good idea. I'm not sure, I guess it would work.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:37 pm

SierraSonic wrote:Exactly! Thanks for the back-up. :P

So will this idea be considered?

Keep in mind that, as far as we know, every idea is considered, but it's Anderson who makes the sole decision on what goes in since he's the programmer.

I'll admit that I can't recall verifying that the SP2 blocker won't work while named avant.exe. Do we know this for sure? (I know that IE's image re-sizing doesn't work, so that's why I always change it.)

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:18 am

Like JohnB said (12 Oct 2004 08:57:20), you can allow Avant to use IE's popup blocking ability by adding a registry key.

I have succesfully allowed Avant to use IE's popup blocking ability and am now working on trying to find out if the information bar is able to be shown. Once finished, I will upload a .reg file that will add these entries to the registry.

Edit:
All Users - Add's Support for IE's popup blocker to Avant for all the users on the current system.
Current User - Add's Support for IE's popup blocker to Avant for only the current user on the current system.

Edit2: I scoured the registry in hopes of finding something to change to allow the information bar to work but couldn't.

Edit3: Thanks to BedfordBoy, I found a way to add support for the information bar.

All Users - Add's Support for all the SP2 IE features including the information bar to all the users on the current system.
Current User - Add's Support for all the SP2 IE features including the information bar only to the current user on the current system.
Last edited by André on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

SierraSonic
Avant Version:

Post by SierraSonic » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:38 am

_DrDrrae_ wrote:Like JohnB said (12 Oct 2004 08:57:20), you can allow Avant to use IE's popup blocking ability by adding a registry key.

I have succesfully allowed Avant to use IE's popup blocking ability and am now working on trying to find out if the information bar is able to be shown. Once finished, I will upload a .reg file that will add these entries to the registry.

Edit:
All Users - Add's Support for IE's popup blocker to Avant for all the users on the current system.
Current User - Add's Support for IE's popup blocker to Avant for only the current user on the current system.
Cool theanks, good TEMP fix, cant wait for an offical word on this.

Also, I would liek the information bars to work too.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:49 am

SierraSonic wrote:Also, I would liek the information bars to work too.
I scoured the registry in hopes of finding something to change to make this work but couldn't.

PS. I forgot to add this in my last post. Going to do that now.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6