Lock Text Size

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

thracx
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Lock Text Size

Post by thracx » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:51 am

Somehow (probably with keyboard shortcuts that I am not away of), the text size for some of my windows, some of the time, change. This is annoying, as looking for the menu and changing it back is bothersome.

I know this is small, but it would also be a quick addition. Alternatively, I suppose somebody could just tell me how to turn off any shortcut methods for increasing/decreasing the text size...
"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:17 am

This is a windows issue. To ignore the font size specified by a page goto Tools/Internet Options and on the General tab click Accessibility and check Ignore font sizes specified on web pages.

thracx
Avant Version:

Post by thracx » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:23 am

Logan wrote:This is a windows issue. To ignore the font size specified by a page goto Tools/Internet Options and on the General tab click Accessibility and check Ignore font sizes specified on web pages.
I am referring to the View -> Text Size - > [SizeHere] options, which globally change the text size of a page (where the page doesn't over-ride the global modifications). This seems to be the browser setting a relative change to all text.
-Fridtjof Nansen

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:39 am

Doing what I said before we ignore the font size(text size) specified by a page. Unless you mean something else and if so can you please explain a little more.

thracx
Avant Version:

Post by thracx » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:54 am

Logan wrote:Doing what I said before we ignore the font size(text size) specified by a page. Unless you mean something else and if so can you please explain a little more.
Do you mean to say that ignoring the font size specified by a page will also disable the browser setting? Even so, I want webpages to vary their text sizes. I will try to elaborate.

From my understanding, changing the setting in Avant (or IE) that I previously mentioned affects all text displayed in that browser. For example, I can do a search on Google.com. Currently I have that setting set to 'Normal'. I can change the setting to 'Largest' - whalla!, all of the text in that Google page is instantly much bigger. The same happens in inverse when you set the text size to 'Smallest'. This is a good feature, since people who have disabilities can increase the size of their fonts, while those who have great vision can have their text smaller and fit more on the screen at once.

This seems independent of the individual HTML of a page (although some pages are only partially affected by the 'Text Size' setting - I assume that some HTML tag, such as custom setting the font size=blah, perhaps ignored the 'Text Size' setting in Avant/IE). My guess is that the 'Text Size' option is a global modifier - such as setting it up to 'Large' basically added a "font size=+1" to every HTML page.

Again, I could easily be wrong since I do not really know how this setting works - all I know is that it seems to operate this way. But regardless of how it works, it's annoying, because for some reason or another, it gets changed without me going into View -> Text Size -> blah. I like my text at the 'Normal' setting, and was simply requesting that perhaps there be a 'feature' of Avant that would disregard this setting, or that at least maybe somebody would know of a workaround (such as knowing a shortcut to changing the text size that I could avoid doing by accident).

This was quite an exuberant description, but you wanted a little more explanation, so there it is *smile*.
-Fridtjof Nansen

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:13 am

So what you are asking for is a shortcut to ignore the text size on a web page so that you can read it at the desired level you have set for it or atleast be able to change the text size with a shortcut but not change change the default? If this is what you mean then I have seen this in other browsers but Avant doesn't have this feature now but there are time that it would be helpful(especialliy for sites that like to have every thing tiny).

thracx
Avant Version:

Post by thracx » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:21 am

Logan wrote:So what you are asking for is a shortcut to ignore the text size on a web page so that you can read it at the desired level you have set for it or atleast be able to change the text size with a shortcut but not change change the default? If this is what you mean then I have seen this in other browsers but Avant doesn't have this feature now but there are time that it would be helpful(especialliy for sites that like to have every thing tiny).
No, strangely we are still not at an understanding.

What I want, ideally/specificly, is for the View -> Text Size -> Medium setting to become LOCKED - ideally I want to NOT be able to change this setting in Avant via any method. I am ONLY referring to the 'Text Size' SETTING that appears in Avant's (and IE's) "View" toolbar menu. Again, I say that I LIKE it when webpages customize the text size to make nice styles/art/etc with their webpages.

I do not know how this setting operates. I'm guessing that it's above Avant since IE also has the exact same thing, however, I was hoping there was a way to get Avant to always pretend that it say's "Medium" (or whatever setting the users says to lock it at).

I'm off to bed, so I won't be able to reply until later tonight or Sunday. G'night.
-Fridtjof Nansen

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:12 pm

If I may take a stab here, you're saying that sometimes you go to View -> Text Size and it is not at Medium, where you left it? If that is the case, I used to run into this problem a very long time ago in IE. I like mine set to smaller, but I also don't mind if the website has its own size. But, I would open IE sometimes, and it would be back to medium.

It's been such a long time, I forget what changes made it stick, but I remember it wasn't something I did specifically. It was like it just started working one day. (like most Microsoft software fixes, it seems)

You might try opening IE, changing in the menu to different sizes, leaving it one one you don't use, like Largest, closing IE, and seeing if it opens again the same way. Then doing the same for whatever setting you want.

I'm not sure if you know, and it wasn't brought up here, but holding CTRL and scrolling the scroll wheel up or down will change the text size. I don't think there is any way to disable that.

thracx
Avant Version:

Post by thracx » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:10 pm

Excellent hornakapopolic! You understand me! Yea! heh.. If you ever recall how you made it stick, please let me know!

So, Ctrl+scrollWheel.... Actually, there is a way to disable it - I know I could do it with Girder, however, that would require me to have a PS/2 mouse and mine won't work via PS/2 (Girder doesn't have a plugin for USB mice yet so it can't see the buttons when they are pressed).

Thanks though, now I least I have some idea how it happens and may be able to block it eventually.
-Fridtjof Nansen

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:34 pm

Not to dash hopes, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those things where one day... it stopped. Opening up IE though like I stated above was really the only action I took.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:26 pm

thracx - Has your text problem repaired itself, yet? Someone else has posted the problem here and I've directed them to this post.

I'm curious if you are still having the problem.

ph
Avant Version:

Post by ph » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:33 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. Anyway.

If I set View > Text Size to anything at all, I'd like Avant Browser to remember that setting even after I close the browser. Now it apparently doesn't.

It's a small annoyance, but worth mentioning anyway :)

Best Wishes,
Petteri Hiisilä
Finland

[/code]

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:02 pm

Also, just to clarify, are you both having this problem in IE, too? It seems that if IE is not doing, Avant wouldn't be, either.

thracx
Avant Version:

Post by thracx » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:50 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:thracx - Has your text problem repaired itself, yet? Someone else has posted the problem here and I've directed them to this post.

I'm curious if you are still having the problem.
I would suspect no - it's important to note that this doesn't happen all to often. Every once in a while all my Avant pages get this setting changed and I have to change them back. As people have been saying, this is a small issue but worth mentioning. It's one of those many small things that would be best if Avant saved between sessions, and in this case, allowed the user to disable the setting (lock it to a certain value).
-Fridtjof Nansen

thracx
Avant Version:

Post by thracx » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:00 am

I wanted to clarify this post slightly.

In Avant Browser (v10.0.027), select View -> Text Size - it will list options that will adjust the baseline text size of all HTML displayed (i.e. whenever no HTML font tag specifies the font size, this probably defines the size used). By default, this setting is set to 'Medium.'

There is a shortcut to changing this setting. Hold down Ctrl and scroll your mouseWheel up or down - up will increase the text size and down will decrease the text size. This is annoying since it cannot be disabled (and I think there are more shortcuts to doing this, since it happens to me rather often). Internet Explorer has this same option.

It would be very nice if Avant allowed a simple option to LOCK the text size baseline - i.e. set that setting to 'Medium' and not allow it to be changed unless unlocked (aka not changed accidentally!). Thanks!
-Fridtjof Nansen

Wilson
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Wilson » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:34 pm

Yea. Same here, except it's my ladyfriend who happens to be prone to it (leaning on desk, elbow pressing Ctrl accidentally while scrolling, without thinking it'd act as a modifier to the scroll feature). Thing is, "Text Size" doesn't affect CSS implementation (only barebones pages, and pages that use old HTML formatting), thus it often isn't visible until navigating to a page without CSS, or with poor usage of CSS.
It wouldn't be so bad if Ctrl+scroll changes the Zoom level, as the effects of Zoom are visible immediately on every page (that, and I'd actually use that feature, as I use Zoom but don't use Text Size).
- Wilson

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:36 am

Wilson wrote:CSS, or with poor usage of CSS.
Oh, I disagree. I rarely give a font a size with CSS. My thinking is I might want the page to look a certain way but others, especially those with bad eyes, might want to change the size of text so they can read it. I guess I could make an alternate CSS and give the user the abilty to change CSS files but I'm lazy and don't want to do that.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper. -Benjamin Franklin
Where's the dancing and singing monkey?