Temporary fix for GetRight & Avant Browser

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

rcasula
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Temporary fix for GetRight & Avant Browser

Post by rcasula » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:29 pm

Hopefully we'll soon have a real fix for GR/AB problems as Anderson and the author of GetRight are working on this together.

In the mean time, I've written a temporary fix to this problem which you can download here:

http://www.carobert.demon.co.uk/downloads/grdlmgr.zip

Unzip it and click the "Install" batch file to install. If you have problems, you can use the "Uninstall" batch file to uninstall. Simple as that.

You should now disable GetRight's own IE click monitoring.

You should find that all downloads are now passed to GetRight. To bypass, hold down CTRL while clicking a link.

This is an unsupported file and I make no guarantees as to it working for you but it should work, provided you have IE6 installed.
Rgds,
Bert

The Universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

getright_author
Avant Version:

GetRight & Avant, updated click monitoring!

Post by getright_author » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:26 pm

May not be a big difference from the "unofficial" one here, but here is an "official" updated click monitoring for GetRight!

http://www.getright.com/clickmon.html

A few differences between this and the other click monitoring methods (it's listed on that page.) But this newer way works very well...likely will even be the default for the next version of GetRight!

-Michael Burford
Author of GetRight.

zizo
Avant Version:

Getright, huh

Post by zizo » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:43 pm

its not a problem in each downloading software, its the avant problem. i used getright several years ago, now i am usein flashget and what can i do?
older versions worked just fine, i dont know way autor of avant dont link a download for version that is actualy working because from last few months this is apsolute disaster what is happening to this software.

i am useing this apertunity to ask avant autor to set an download of af avant that actualy worked without so menu bugs such as those with red icon and yellow spash screan, or he can make this software more open like greenbrowser project so all can chose what is best for them!!!

one more thing, where can i get that beta versions???

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

Post by angeldust » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:37 am

At Bottom of This Thread click Beta Versions of Avant in Jump to & click GO. Anderson is currently working on fixing outstanding Bugs so a new Beta is probably a way off.
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

MikeDiack
Avant Version:

The official getright fix from Michael Burford didn't work!

Post by MikeDiack » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:43 am

I tried the official fix from Michael Burford re: getright
It didn't make the slightest difference - getright still doesn't work with Avant Browser!
Am I the only one?
Mike

rcasula
Avant Version:

Could be...

Post by rcasula » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:29 pm

There are two registry keys for the download manager:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DownloadUI

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DownloadUI

The latter, if present, takes precedence but Michael is currently writing to the HKLM one. It could be that a previous install of a download manager has left a value behind under HKCU (even a blank value) that is being picked up. Try deleting the DownloadUI entry from both locations and then reinstalling Michael's fix.

Also, make sure you disable GetRight's standard click monitoring. If you do this, GetRight should kick in both in AB and IE whenever a Save As... dialog would normally appear.
Rgds,
Bert

The Universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

brotherCC
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Re: Could be...

Post by brotherCC » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:17 pm

rcasula wrote:There are two registry keys for the download manager:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DownloadUI
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DownloadUI

Try deleting the DownloadUI entry from both locations and then reinstalling Michael's fix.
Thanks! After deleting the one existing DownloadUI entry and reinstalling the fix it finally works!

rcasula
Avant Version:

GetRight 5.1 beta 3

Post by rcasula » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:32 pm

This is now out and includes this new method of catching links as standard (can now be disabled/enabled in the GUI).

Also the option to have a prompt whether to download with GetRight or IE works again!

Many thanks to Michael Burford for such a speedy bit of coding!
Rgds,
Bert

nite
Avant Version:

Post by nite » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:01 am

Works fine for me too...
Avant + GetRight are A Deadly Combo now

Adraeus
Avant Version:

Post by Adraeus » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:37 pm

How about Avant + Download Accelerator Plus?
Adraeus

Kichus
Avant Version:

Post by Kichus » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:49 am

Hello!
I tried to use Getright with Avant as shown above, then installed Getright 5.1, but I'm not satisfied. It only works if I check the option to replace IE Save as window, but that's stupid. For example it makes opening streaming files (like ram, asx, pls) very difficult, those files should not be saved to disk. But when I disable that option I can't use GetRight at all - even "Download with GetRight" doesn't work. Is there any possibility to use GR with Avant exacly as with "pure" IE?
Kichus

rcasula
Avant Version:

GetRight 5.1

Post by rcasula » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:54 pm

The old method of catching links in IE does not work properly in Avant Browser (and indeed many other IE-based browsers) because the method used is incompatible with features of AB such as the Ad blocker.

Instead of spending a lot of development time trying to cobble together some support for GetRight, the author of GetRight added this new way of doing link-catching that uses an official Microsoft mechanism. This is the same mechanism used by many other download managers. The majority of users find that this is a much better mechanism than the previous one because it guarantees that any time a Save As... box would be displayed, GetRight is called.

If you have a link that wouldn't result in a "Save As..." dialog normally and you want to download it with GetRight from AB, there are a couple of ways to do so:

1. Drag and drop the link to the GetRight download window (or the drop target)
2. Copy the shortcut to the clipboard and use GetRight's clipboard monitoring function or paste the link into "Enter new URL..."
Rgds,
Bert

Kichus
Avant Version:

Post by Kichus » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:34 pm

I found out that if the new method is enabled, holding Shift starts download in the old way (without Getright), so it partially solves my problem.
Now, to make it work as I wish, I would need to tell the browser not to download some file types with Getright (like .ram), is it possible? I'm afraid it's not, because when I click on something, Getright is called immediately so it would be like: first Avant tells GR to download something and then I don't want GR to do that (because I want that file opened, not saved). I think if the authors would try to make Getright's behaviour same as on IE, it would be very nice since it was the best.
Kichus

rcasula
Avant Version:

Possible

Post by rcasula » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:38 am

Hi there,

It is possible for the Michael to have GetRight exclude certain filetypes even with the new method of catching links.

I will send him an e-mail asking if this could be added as a feature. Basically I would envisage him using the ignore servers and filetypes list already present in the GetRight configuration options.
Rgds,
Bert

soccer5sg
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by soccer5sg » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:40 am

The new 5.1 version is great!

zeroconfig
Avant Version:

Post by zeroconfig » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:08 am

Hi! I just found out a while ago that STAR DOWNLOADER integrates well with Avant Browser 112! Though it takes approx about 1min or two before star downloader displays, other browser that I have such as Mozilla Firefox automatically pop-ups in a second... is this normal?! Previous donwload manager such as Getright, Internet Download Accelerator didn't do anything! :roll:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
ECS K7AMA
Nvidia 64MB
256MB SDRAM
17" DTS
D-Link modem
All things are possible! (Matthew 19:26)

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:56 pm

I also use Star Downloader and while it may take a few seconds to display it has never taken a minute or 2. Are you using the free version or the paid version? I'm using the last free version they released so this might be the issue if you are using the paid version.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

GetRight Problem Fixed

Post by André » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:50 pm

The problem with GetRight and AB has been fixed in version 5.1. Get the update.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6