No gecko available under Default Engine

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

PeaceByJesus
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: build 181
IE Version: IE 8

No gecko available under Default Engine

Post by PeaceByJesus » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi, I am using the latest Avant (181) and need to use the Gecko engine so I can get multiple tab rows, and other options FF has with extns that IE does not provide, but the only engines available under Avant Browser Options>Rendering Engine are IE compatible or IE Standards. Thanks for any help.

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Re: No gecko available under Default Engine

Post by bksening » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Did you download the Ultimate Version? Only the Ultimate version includes Firefox and Chrome rendering engines.

You can find the full download links from: http://www.avantbrowser.com/download.aspx

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 am

Yes, you must be using the Lite version.Using the gecko/webkit engine, you should download the Ultimate version.

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:41 pm

The ultimate version is what i choose to download and installed. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling now.

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:14 pm

This time i downloaded Ultimate from Cnet, though you must opt out of the baggage they supply with it, and now have the options for the Gecko engine, and so i just installed TabMixPlus, Colorful Tabs, Session Manager, Count Word Professional, Menu Editor, Googlebar Lite, Converter, Copy as html, etc. Now to see if they all work.

Thank God for all the helpers.

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Well, after a full restart after installing the extns, at first the Tools>Mozilla Firefox Add on page would appear, but none of the extns seemed to be working, including Colorful tabs, though d the theme which at first worked, but now i cannot even get the add on page to show. After restarting the home page will load and you can go to links, but "open in new tab will not work (nothing happens), nor will the Tools>Mozilla Firefox Add on page work, and clinking on it nuke all open pages so that all you have is a browser:togo tab that offers nothing.

No time now to troubleshoot, and i am writing this under Firefox.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm

PeaceByJesus wrote:Well, after a full restart after installing the extns, at first the Tools>Mozilla Firefox Add on page would appear, but none of the extns seemed to be working, including Colorful tabs, though d the theme which at first worked, but now i cannot even get the add on page to show. After restarting the home page will load and you can go to links, but "open in new tab will not work (nothing happens), nor will the Tools>Mozilla Firefox Add on page work, and clinking on it nuke all open pages so that all you have is a browser:togo tab that offers nothing.

No time now to troubleshoot, and i am writing this under Firefox.
Extensions like TabMixPlus and Colorful Tabs won't work with Avant, because Avant manages the tabs, not the rendering engine. This may also be true for some of the other extensions you listed, if they work with parts of Firefox that are in the UI, not the engine. There are many extensions that do work properly with the Firefox engine in Avant, but since Avant provides the user interface (the "front end"), the extensions that work are those that deal only with the capabilities of the rendering engine itself.

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am

Thanks for explaining. Is there any way to at least get multiple rows of tabs under Avant?

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:18 am

You can set it here:Tools>Avant browser options>Tab buttons

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 am

When open tabs increase to a certain amount, there will be a little icon appearing at the right side of the split view and new tab buttons, clicking it to toggle between single row and multi-row tabs.
6.png
6.png (17.66 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks again. Is there a way to reduce the tab width, and should Firefox themes work in Avant?
And I am running 32 bit XPsp3, with 3gb ram, 2.8ghz cpu, and ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 series card.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Set maximum tab width under Tools>Avant browser options>Tab buttons

FF themes do not work for AB

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks. I would have seen that, but Avant was broke due to the extensions and i wanted to know if i could do the things i asked in order to know if it was worth reinstalling. I do so (deleting the profile as well) and used the options i asked about. I also changed the default search to Google, but when i select words and r. clk and choose Search, or do any search from the search box, like MSI 760GM-P23, i get "The requested URL /%20MSI+760GM-P23 was not found on this server. That’s all we know." If i use AvantFind or Yahoo then it works.

I have no extensions enabled, but is there a list of FF extensions that work?

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:45 am

PeaceByJesus wrote:Thanks. I would have seen that, but Avant was broke due to the extensions and i wanted to know if i could do the things i asked in order to know if it was worth reinstalling. I do so (deleting the profile as well) and used the options i asked about. I also changed the default search to Google, but when i select words and r. clk and choose Search, or do any search from the search box, like MSI 760GM-P23, i get "The requested URL /%20MSI+760GM-P23 was not found on this server. That’s all we know." If i use AvantFind or Yahoo then it works.

I have no extensions enabled, but is there a list of FF extensions that work?
Can you search in the webpage http://www.google.com?

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:11 am

Not yet, but the extensions which take effect as a simple button on the toolbar or relate to manipulation of tabs and interface shouldn't work in avant browser. Those take effect via right click menu or exist as standalone toolbars(tools>mozilla firefox>add-on bar) could work with avant browser.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:50 am

Jasmine wrote:Not yet, but the extensions which take effect as a simple button on the toolbar or relate to manipulation of tabs and interface shouldn't work in avant browser. Those take effect via right click menu or exist as standalone toolbars(tools>mozilla firefox>add-on bar) could work with avant browser.
FYI, I have several extensions that take effect as simple buttons on a toolbar installed and working fine in Avant, including Facebook Share Button 1.2, Facebook Toolbar Button 1.3, Turn Off the Lights 2.1.0.7, and others. I am also using Toolbar Buttons 1.0, which adds a collection of buttons to the Customize Toolbar window, and Vertical Toolbar 0.2.12, which adds a positionable (within the rendering pane) vertical toolbar on which any of the buttons generated by the extensions I listed can be added through the Customize Toolbar window.

The buttons provided by these extensions can only be added to toolbars generated by the Firefox engine, so they cannot be placed in any of the toolbars generated by Avant itself (Standard Buttons, Add-on Buttons, etc.). These buttons can be added to any toolbar that is created using the Firefox Customize Toolbar window (right-click the Add-on Bar or an existing Firefox toolbar, click Customize..., and then click the Add New Toolbar button) or can be managed in that window.

If no Firefox toolbars are currently displayed, click Add-on Bar under Mozilla Firefox in the Avant Tools menu.

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:03 am

xiaobing wrote:
Can you search in the webpage ..www.google.com?
Certainly i know how to find FF extens; as i have installed many, but as the thread shows, it is about finding a list one that work on Firefox. Google provides no such list nor does searching addons Mozilla for Avant browser add ons show any.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:17 am

PeaceByJesus wrote:
xiaobing wrote:
Can you search in the webpage ..www.google.com?
Certainly i know how to find FF extens; as i have installed many, but as the thread shows, it is about finding a list one that work on Firefox. Google provides no such list nor does searching addons Mozilla for Avant browser add ons show any.
I think he was referring to the search problem you were having, ie;
I also changed the default search to Google, but when i select words and r. clk and choose Search, or do any search from the search box, like MSI 760GM-P23, i get "The requested URL /%20MSI+760GM-P23 was not found on this server. That’s all we know." If i use AvantFind or Yahoo then it works.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 am

Jasmine wrote:Not yet, but the extensions which take effect as a simple button on the toolbar or relate to manipulation of tabs and interface shouldn't work in avant browser. Those take effect via right click menu or exist as standalone toolbars(tools>mozilla firefox>add-on bar) could work with avant browser.
Thanks. I found that GoogleBarLite did install, but Session Manager did not.

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Tinman57 wrote:
PeaceByJesus wrote:

I think he was referring to the search problem you were having, ie;
I also changed the default search to Google, but when i select words and r. clk and choose Search, or do any search from the search box, like MSI 760GM-P23, i get "The requested URL /%20MSI+760GM-P23 was not found on this server. That’s all we know." If i use AvantFind or Yahoo then it works.
Oh, sorry, that was not the problem, just the right click search. I changed the default search to Yahoo, but with GoogleBarLite i also have a search box for Google.