Add command to reload all tabs in default rendering engine

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Add command to reload all tabs in default rendering engine

Post by mbrazil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:35 pm

When you change the default render engine, new tabs use the new default engine, but tabs that are already open continue using the previous engine. You can change the engine for individual tabs using the Go button's drop-down menu, but there's no way to reload all of the tabs with the new default engine (including the tabs that were previously opened with the previous default engine) other than to close and restart Avant. It seems as though there ought to be a command somewhere to reload all the open tabs in the currently specified default rendering engine.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Re: Add command to reload all tabs in default rendering engi

Post by mbrazil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 pm

mbrazil wrote:When you change the default render engine, new tabs use the new default engine, but tabs that are already open continue using the previous engine. You can change the engine for individual tabs using the Go button's drop-down menu, but there's no way to reload all of the tabs with the new default engine (including the tabs that were previously opened with the previous default engine) other than to close and restart Avant. It seems as though there ought to be a command somewhere to reload all the open tabs in the currently specified default rendering engine.
I forgot to say that naming the new command Reload All would help to differentiate it from the current Refresh All command, which would still be available.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 am

I often use this method to reload all tabs with the new engine: Right click a tab>close all>click the Undo button.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 am

xiaobing wrote:I often use this method to reload all tabs with the new engine: Right click a tab>close all>click the Undo button.
Thanks for the suggestion. While that works, it's awkward, and people who aren't already Avant users would not know that's even possible. The lack of a menu command to reload all tabs with the current rendering engine is a significant hole in the Avant 2012 Ultimate user interface. My motivation for suggesting the addition of a Reload All command (and some of the other things I've suggested) is primarily to improve Avant so that it is more attractive to new Avant users.

User-interface holes and mistakes, combined with the lack of thorough, up-to-date Help and the number of outstanding bugs, are holding Avant back as far as increasing the user base (market share). Avant has quite a few rough edges. We'd all benefit from getting these polished. When more of the people who try Avant decide to stick with it, more donations will come in, making it possible for Avant to continue to be available and to improve even more.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 am

people who aren't already Avant users would not know that's even possible.Very true Mike but all new users are going to run into such problems.Especialy users that don't read our forum . There are people who just download it use it and read nothing somehow the muddle there way to do what ever it is they are in to I do know some people that use avant i ask if the joined the forum they said no never seen it.Now i would of thought useing the 2012 versions u would want to atleast read the forum. :)
Attachments
pops.gif
pops.gif (73.95 KiB) Viewed 2961 times

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:31 pm

AXEMAN wrote:all new users are going to run into such problems.
The more confusing the user interface is, the more problems new users will experience, and the less likely they are to stick with Avant. Why not make Avant as user-friendly as possible so more users who try it will stick with it?

The forums really have nothing to do with it. For most users of any software, the forums are where you go when the Help and the FAQ don't answer your questions about something you don't understand. The Avant UI needs some tweaks here and there to make it more user friendly, and for the 2012 Ultimate version, it especially needs very good and very complete Help and a thorough and up-to-date FAQ. The lack of these things reduces Avant's likelihood of attracting and keeping additional users, and that reduces Anderson's potential income from donations. The bottom line is that, if we want Avant to continue to be updated and improved in all respects, we have to support Anderson, and we have to help make it better.

I'm on the the Avant forums regularly for several reasons, but the most important one is that I think Avant is the best browser available, and I want to do what I can to make it better and to support Anderson, Jasmine, and xiaobing so that they and Avant are successful. If we ignore things we find that make Avant less user friendly and make it more difficult or confusing, we are detracting from its success, rather than adding to it. I want Avant to continue to be updated and improved, and user-interface problems and deficiencies can be just as important as other bugs. That's why I think fixing parts of the user interface that are inadequate, inconsistent, or confusing is just as important as fixing things that don't work right.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:54 pm

I agree with you i just said it differently and new users will be confused ofcoarse the browser should continue to grow in this way :)

AbelAbel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Post by AbelAbel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:21 am

If you just put a Reload all button there,I would be thinking that it's just an option to refresh all tabs.
How about poping up a dialog and ask if they want to relaod the tabs to make them render with the new engine when they change the default engine under Tools menu?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:32 am

AbelAbel wrote:If you just put a Reload all button there,I would be thinking that it's just an option to refresh all tabs.
How about poping up a dialog and ask if they want to relaod the tabs to make them render with the new engine when they change the default engine under Tools menu?
That's a good idea. It's more intuitive and it avoids cluttering the interface with an additional button or menu command. I like it. :)

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by AXEMAN » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 am

mbrazil wrote:
AbelAbel wrote:If you just put a Reload all button there,I would be thinking that it's just an option to refresh all tabs.
That's a good idea. It's more intuitive and it avoids cluttering the interface with an additional button or menu command. I like it. :)
I like it as well my friends :thumbup:

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: W10 x64 / W7 x64
Avant Version: Avant Browser 2019 build 2
Default engine: 1ºFirefox \ 2ºChrome
IE Version: 7 and 10 but i never use it
Skin: Xito - old skins

Post by Crazy_John » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Right now , what i do to have all the tabs with the same rendering engine , is close avant and open it again (using the re-open box ON)

200 posts \:D/ \:D/ :lol:

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:08 am

Recorded