pdf documents

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

pdf documents

Postby kt277 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:48 am

When I open a pdf document in a google search, the back arrow in avant is not lit to go back to google. (seems it use to work). When I close the pdf, it also closes the google search, in which I have to start over again. Am I missing some setting? I have 2011 build 27 on my win7-32bit computer.
kt277

Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: build35
IE Version: n/a

Re: pdf documents

Post Reply #1 by Jasmine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:57 am

Could you give the steps to replay the problem?
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com
Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post Reply #2 by kt277 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:07 pm

I thought I already was quite explicit.
When I open a pdf document in a google search, the BACK arrow in avant is not lit to go back to google. When I close the pdf tab, it also closes the google search, in which I have to start over again. In other words, start with google again and again re-type in my search text. The pdf tab covers over the google tab. Am I missing some setting? I have 2011 build 27 on my win7-32bit computer.
I tried it my xp laptop. There, I have AB version 11.7 build 39. When I open a pdf in a google search, the BACK arrow lights up, so I can go back to the google search where I left off.
Maybe I should use AB version 11.7 build 39 on the win7 computer?
kt277

Post Reply #3 by Jasmine » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:00 am

I was also curious why you opened the search result in the current page. It could only have something to do with how google designs to open the search results.
Could you give me the search result link and let me know which pdf you opened?

As a suggestion, you can drag and drop the result link(pdf) to open in the new tab.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com
Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post Reply #4 by kt277 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:10 pm

I installed the newest version 2011 build 30 and the same thing happens....the pdf is opened in the same tab, and the BACK arrow is not lit. If I open a new tab (using + on the existing tab, it just duplicates the pdf.
The google searh was 'steel beam sizes'. About 2/3 down 1st page is a pdf CHART. If I click on that chart, a pdf will open, but I can't get back to google. It happens with any pdf document from google. No new tab is created and BACK arrow is not lit.
I guess the next thing to try is to go back to an older avant version.
Drag and drop doesn't work.
"I was also curious why you opened the search result in the current page." I don't seem to have a choice. In AB options, I have links/whatever to "open in a new tab", which doesn't work. Maybe it's a problem with AB and win7.
kt277

Post Reply #5 by kt277 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:30 pm

OK, I found the problem, which I never knew was there. At google, there is an options box (top right). Next, click on 'search results'. Then, for the "Results Window" I needed to check the box "Open search results in a new browser window". Now, the pdf's are opened in a new tab and the BACK arrow is now lit.
You were right about how google opens the search results. I wasn't aware there was an options box...thanks
kt277

Return to Avant Browser Resolved Issues