It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC

Poston: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:24 am 

Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM SP1
Avant Version: Ultimate v2014 Build 2
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Stickers on Glass
Hello. I,ve just installed a fresh copy of W7 x64 Ultimate and installed the latest version of AB v11.7.41

My bookmarks and autofill urls are downloaded OK but the AB setting/options dont seem to be downloading. eg. my homepage is not set and some other options are also not set. The home page seems to be stuck on "http://au.yahoo.com/?p=us". Of course i can change all of these manually but i thought the whole point and beauty of online storage was that i can install AB on any computer and it would be like sitting at my own PC?

Any ideas?

Post Reply #1 on: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:42 pm 

Nobody has the same problem?

Post Reply #2 on: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:19 pm 
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Guru

Avant Version:
Is it just build 41 that has the problem? Have you tried running Avant as Administrator or as another user?

If they are fine, your online files may be corrupted. Contact the Recovery Team in that case.

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.

I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

Post Reply #3 on: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:27 pm 

kudos wrote:
Is it just build 41 that has the problem? Have you tried running Avant as Administrator or another use?

If they are fine, your online files may be corrupted. Contact the Recovery Team in that case.

Hi Kudos and thanks for the reply.

Well I've fixed my problem!

Thanks to VM's I installed a clean copy of W7 x64 and a clean copy of Vista 32 SP2. After half an hour of installing and uninstalling builds of Avant browser ( all the way down to v11.6.20), none of them downloaded the AB settings including the home page in either OS's.

I began to suspect that indeed my online files were corrupted. To cut a very long story short, I re-entered my desired settings and homepage, selected File>My Account>Switch Account and logged back into the same account. The logging back into the same account is what seems to cement the changes back onto the Online storage server. I say this because in the end I had AB v11.7.41 installed on both VM's and when i changed a setting the other VM's AB wouldnt pick up the change until i switched accounts back to the same one. If i shutdown AB and restarted it, the change just wouldnt take effect. Only after switching back into the same account as I've already stated.

However if i now install a clean AB copy onto a clean OS the settings are detected on first log into the online storage :thumbup:

Hopefully this bug can now be fixed once and for all!

EDIT: I think it should also be said that the explanation above doesnt really explain why my online storage got corrupted in the first place from upgrading to v11.7.41 does it?

Post Reply #4 on: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:28 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7
Quote:
I say this because in the end I had AB v11.7.41 installed on both VM's and when i changed a setting the other VM's AB wouldnt pick up the change until i switched accounts back to the same one. If i shutdown AB and restarted it, the change just wouldnt take effect. Only after switching back into the same account as I've already stated.

To make clear, I assume your browser set as signing onto the Online Storage automatically, so by ending the browser and re-signing onto the same account AB won't load the changes made on the first VM at all?

Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Post Reply #5 on: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:56 am 

Sorry i havent got back to you in a while. Yes thats right, I have them set as signing onto the Online Storage automatically. If i shutdown the browser and restart it, the changed settings from the other OS are not detected. I have to choose File>My Account>Switch Account and sign back in. From memory having AB set to log in manually has no effect. I have to choose the Switch Account option as mentioned before settings take effect in the other OS.

Let me know if you need more info.

Post Reply #6 on: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:46 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

I can assure you that when you have browsers in different pcs log in with the same account, one change made in pc-1 won't be synced to other pcs before re-signing in. That's the way it is.

As for only switching account making the sync done, I'm wondering whether it's a bug or not, but the problem dosen't occur here in my VMs. I tested on win2003 and vista. Does all your Avants run on win7? Could you test by on all VMs removing the folder named with you e-mail account under Avant Profiles(go to start->run and fill in %appdata%/Avant Profiles and press enter to locate the directory) and see whether the problem still happens?

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.

Post Reply #7 on: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:35 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

I tested on win7 just now. If not using Avat as an administrator your problem happens and the bookmarks only keep the change via switching account. Do you run as an administrator?

Last edited by Jasmine on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply #8 on: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:01 pm 
Fan
Fan

Windows Version: XP SP 3
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 Build 2
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE 8
Skin: AthenX
I do not understand how the On-line storage feature works. When I attempted to use it, all of my bookmarks were set back to the default bookmarks and my browser design settings completely disappeared and gone back to the default. Now, I have to go through the hassle of doing everything all over again. I had everything exactly the way I wanted it.

I strongly suggest to everyone, based on my experience, to absolutely not use the on-line storage feature.

Not only is an improvement needed, but also some more detailed instructions on how to use the on-line storage feature are absolutely necessary. It is really annoying to have all of the work I've done just completely vanish because of this faulty on-line storage feature.

Post Reply #9 on: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:41 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

Windows Version: 8.1
Avant Version: 2014 Build 7
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal
You probably just need to import your settings. Read here,
http://wiki.avantforce.com/index.php?ti ... storage%3F

Post Reply #10 on: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:03 am 
Fan
Fan

bigC wrote:
You probably just need to import your settings. Read here,
http://wiki.avantforce.com/index.php?ti ... storage%3F

Thank you very much for your attempted help which unfortunately didn't work. Let me examine in detail what I did when creating the on-line storage account. Maybe I did something wrong. Perhaps you will be able to tell me what that was.

I created an account and then I made Avant like I wanted it with the bookmarks and settings. Then, I signed into my account expecting to find a way to save all of the configurations. Instead, all of my settings disappeared and everything went back to default. I have tried different ideas including yours and nothing seems to work. I even tried deleting my account which didn't work. I did this because I thought maybe I could do it over again and somehow make it work the second time.

There is no doubt that this feature and how to make it function are very confusing subjects. Actually, yours was the most detailed information I have read about it.

Post Reply #11 on: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:44 am 
Fan
Fan

I wish to retract the following statement:

"I strongly suggest to everyone, based on my experience, to absolutely not use the on-line storage feature."

I was finally able to figure it out (how it works) and it works quite well. The one thing I still don't understand is the syncronize button and what it does. I know it syncronizes with something but what exactly? Is that a save to server button that could have a better name?

It would be a really good idea for there to be an official instruction guide for this feature.

Post Reply #12 on: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:31 am 
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Guru

Avant Version:
As a new user to the feature, it may be better if you create an article on the wiki with your experience for other newbies - after all, that is what it is there for. Then more experienced users can elaborate upon it.

Post Reply #13 on: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 am 

Jasmine wrote:
I tested on win7 just now. If not using Avat as an administrator your problem happens and the bookmarks only keep the change via switching account. Do you run as an administrator?

I just tried starting as admin and the problem doesnt change for me. Its the same either way.

Just to review my problem

1. AB v11.7.41 installed both in VM running W7 x64 and on my desktop which is also runnigng W7 x64

2. Start AB up in VM and change my home page. Shut down AB and start it again and its confirmed.....my new home page loads up. Shutdown AB in VM and switch to my desktop

3. Start AB up on my desktop and my old homepage loads up. The new homepage i changed in the settings inside the VM have not taken effect on my desktop AB. Even if i start as Admin the new homepage is not updated. I have to switch accounts back into the same one on the desktop AB before the new homepage takes effect . This is the same if i change the homepage on the desktop first and then start AB in the VM. The same thing happens.

When changing the setting in one AB, I've made sure that the opposite AB is not running just in case having them both logged in caused the problem. But this made no difference.

I'm sorry but this is as clear as i can be. I'm not sure why nobody else has noticed this issue.

Regards

PS By the way, once i've switched back into the same account the changes made in the other AB are remembered from then on. So its not like im having to continuously switch accounts. Only if i change a setting.

Post Reply #14 on: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:21 am 
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Guru

Avant Version:
Sounds like you are noy synchronising correctly. Take a look at How does synchronization work? to see if it helps you.

Post Reply #15 on: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:51 am 

Thanks for that link. I read through it and pretty much was using it the way it was described except i wasnt sure if i was waiting at least 15 sec before trying AB in the opposite OS. But this is a mute point since the changes were passed (uploaded) onto the server or i wouldn't be able to download the changes by switching back into the same account...right? However, i ran some more tests anyway and i can say that in my case there is definitely something wrong with the sycronizing of online storage.

I would make a change and wait well over 2 min before shutting AB down and starting it in the opposite OS. The changes were not passed on. I even tried doing a manual sync and still the changes were not passed on???

If no-one else is reporting this issue then i can only conclude that there is a corruption somewhere in my profile on your server. I am not willing to go down the road of resetting my online profile on your server if it means losing my bookmarks, autofills etc. So unless you have any more ideas then I can live with this "bug" for now.

Thankyou for your help.