Make Avant friendlier for Webmasters? CMS? And more...

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

MagicStarER
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 46
IE Version: IE 7

Make Avant friendlier for Webmasters? CMS? And more...

Post by MagicStarER » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Some things I think would be great to see in this browser:

I am delighted with my new Avant Browser. It beats all browsers I have ever tried, hands down. There is not even any comparison. It is fast, light on resources, stable, useful, and amazingly customizable.

I am a webmaster and do a lot of graphics and web-building stuff.

So from my point of view, there are several things that I think could make Avant Browser even more fantastic.

1) Include a built-in CMS (Content Management System) with the browser? One that you could set up for your sites. That way you could have a button for your CMS right there on your browser and edit your websites very easily.

2) Include a "webmaster"/"developer toolbar like the one IE has (that does not work right...)

Now, LOOK AT THIS:

3) I think it would be so wonderful if not only we could have CMS with the browser, but why can't Avant also be a web host? OUR web host! That way you could integrate the web hosting acct/control panel with the CMS on the browser, and we could really go to town. With CGI, php support, mail accts, multiple sites and blog support (like Bravenet does) etc, etc... Then you could have all your sites in one place, with your Avant Hosting! It would make it SO easy to build and maintain your sites! Do it ALL from your browser! (I wonder who did Bravenet's setup? It is really good! Go look at it: http://www.bravenet.com )

4) Now, while you are thinking about that, why could that hosting not be revved up to include social networking and blog, too?

Think of how really awesome this could be! We could have the browser all integrated into one control center for our websites, blog, social networking, mail, web-building and updating, everything right from the Avant Browser! And provide a cheap Domain service for Avant users...

The upside of this for Avant, is that this would give you tremendous growth potential. In fact, you would make so much money by sharing the Google AdSense and Text Links that would be on everybody's pages (have Avant Users sign up for Google Adsense, Kontera Text Links, E-Bay, and Amazon Affiliate and let Users display it on their websites and blogs! like Hubpages does - they include this service with your account...) , that you could share the revenue with the Avant Users, like HubPages does. The more users, the more everybody makes! Pay for referrals, etc... (Please see http://hubpages.com/profile/MagicStarER and look at some of the articles to see how these includes work.) With your share of all these revenues, you could give the hosting, etc, to Avant Browser users for FREE!

This would create a very large community which would interact with and support each other, help get more traffic, and would help everybody earn money and get higher Google page ranks...

This could be an enormous path to growth and potential earnings for Avant. I would like to see you get big - REAL big! Look out Rupert Murdoch! The sky is the limit!

Also would be nice: include support for screen captures, video grabbing, pic resizing and format conversion. I am using other programs for this now. They are good ones. But wouldn't it be so handy to have this included in the browser? The ones I use: King Kong Capture (the best) Image Converter One, and using an online resizer right now... If you put the screenshot capture and the converter into the browser, use the two I mentioned. After years of testing, those are the two very best, and easiest to use.

Does anybody know how I can put these 2 programs into the browser as add-ons? (Maybe this topic is better suited to the Add-Ons section... if so, sorry...)

Again, THANKS!!! for this wonderful browser - you have made me very happy! I finally have control of my browsing, and I can make this thing do what I want it to do, for the most part. Except for the things I mentioned above.

A MILLION KUDOS TO THOSE WHO DEVELOPED THIS GREAT BROWSER! I LOVE IT!!!

(Can I have a job? :lol:)

I see great things in the future for Avant. (Tom is history, baby!) :think:

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: Make Avant friendlier for Webmasters? CMS? And more...

Post by kudos » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The only thing that I want from a browser is the ability to browse the internet. Something small, fast and convenient. The more "whistles and bells" that an application has, the more there will be that I will not use and the more that I avoid it. I have no interest in social networking, blogging, web hostings and the like. When I want to develop web pages, I like to select and use my own tools.

MagicStarER wrote:Also would be nice: include support for screen captures
Avant Browser has this built-in: File >> Save Screen / Current Page / Region as Image

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Sorry to put a damper on your ideas but I have to agree with kudos.
There are dedicated services/sites for social networking, blogging, web hostings etc. that can do a far better job than Avant could probably do. As I've said in previous posts I prefer to keep Avant lean and mean and have Anderson concentrate on the browsing function.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:16 pm

MagicStarER wrote:3) I think it would be so wonderful if not only we could have CMS with the browser, but why can't Avant also be a web host? OUR web host! That way you could integrate the web hosting acct/control panel with the CMS on the browser, and we could really go to town. With CGI, php support, mail accts, multiple sites and blog support (like Bravenet does) etc, etc... Then you could have all your sites in one place, with your Avant Hosting! It would make it SO easy to build and maintain your sites! Do it ALL from your browser! (I wonder who did Bravenet's setup? It is really good! Go look at it: http://www.bravenet.com )
This is quite simply not going to happen as it's not viable. We don't have the resources to provide such a service, not to mention it's having absolutely nothing to do with the browser itself.

As far as a CMS and developers facilities, these are also highly unlikely as Avant is a browser, all such features would do is bloat it. If you want an editor, use one of the many Wysiwygs available.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Not trying to sound too harsh but that would be a very bad idea. It's a browser, not a swiss army knife.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

MagicStarER
Fan
Fan

Post by MagicStarER » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Oooops... (I'm laughing at myself!)

You all shot me down before I even got in the air! #-o

(Oh well... It was fun thinking about it.)

From the reaction I got, it is more than clear that no one ever thought about including more with a browser...

To me, with this light bulb over my head, it seemed like something very innovative and cool for your browser people to also provide your hosting and blogging services, (optional of course, if you just wanted to go get your own, you would do that...) It seems in my mind, that if your browser also were adapted to include access to your other stuff, it would save a whole lot of time and make your whole internet experience more enjoyable and efficient - you could do everything from your browser.

You know, like include a link button on the browser to get to the hosting and the CMS feature (optional) for the website/blog so you could edit from the browser... I don't think that would "bloat" the browser too much, would it?

It is such a hassle to have all your websites all over the place and have to constantly be logging in at different places to get to them to update them. My dream is to have all my websites available for administration from one single control panel. Someday I will get there - working on them right now... I am re-doing them all so I can make them all accessible from one portal entry, to make it easier for me to work on them, and also make it easier for my visitors to access all the different sites from one place. With the idea to serve them from my own computer. This is not an easy task... I have a LOT of websites! (And I am definitely NOT a programmer! After dinking around with a whole bunch of server programs, finally found one that I can figure out how to work... I'm getting there!)

Crazy idea, maybe. But then again, maybe not. Just an idea I had this morning when I woke up... I know you guys are all a whole lot more knowledgeable than I am, and more concerned, as developers, with the function of the actual browser. This is understandable.

People thought Tom was crazy, too.

Thanks for listening, and sorry if I sound crazy. I am a square peg, for sure... Anybody who sits around and makes Avant Browser Skins all day for little kids and actually enjoys it and thinks it's fun has got to have a few screws loose, hey? (Working on Thomas the Train right now... LOL!) Bet nobody every thought of kiddie Avant skins, did they?

I just love this browser so much - I am very excited about it - it has made my whole internet experience more enjoyable and better! It has got me thinking great things... Anyway, thanks for that!

P.S.: (I don't use a WYSIWYG! I can code my own stuff - taught myself! :angel: )

LOVE!!! Let me get back to Thomas the Train and Tinkerbell now! :)

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:57 pm

MagicStarER, I appreciate and admire the way you have responded to the replies, good luck with your endeavours.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:06 pm

MagicStarER wrote:Oooops... (I'm laughing at myself!)

You all shot me down before I even got in the air!
Sorry - didn't mean to. Guess that I'm too old-school and narrow-minded. Hope you reach your goal too.

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:57 pm

MagicStarER wrote:To me, with this light bulb over my head, it seemed like something very innovative and cool for your browser people to also provide your hosting and blogging services, (optional of course, if you just wanted to go get your own, you would do that...) It seems in my mind, that if your browser also were adapted to include access to your other stuff, it would save a whole lot of time and make your whole internet experience more enjoyable and efficient - you could do everything from your browser.

You know, like include a link button on the browser to get to the hosting and the CMS feature (optional) for the website/blog so you could edit from the browser... I don't think that would "bloat" the browser too much, would it?
MagicStarER, I hear what you're saying, but I'm trying to wrap my head around some of your fundamental ideas.

It just seems that what a *browser* should do, which is allow end users the ability to access/see/retrieve all the content on the Internet is a client-side activity. Most users do not care nor wish to care about the setup/infrastructure/how all the services and sites they use are setup, they just want those sites to be there and for them to be able to use them.

The other aspects you mention, like providing hosting, blogging, CMS, CGI, PHP, mail accounts, etc. are all server-side activities. Users may _make use_ of them, but setting up/providing the infrastructure/maintaining and supporting such services has nothing directly to do with Avant nor any browser, nor does it really make sense to integrate them as features into Avant.

Of course it would be great and convenient to have a button or fast link to access your commonly used hosting/site admin/blog/scripting whatever. You can say a button or link would not cause bloat to Avant, but that button or link would just tell Avant *browser* to go to whichever website is providing the service of your hosting/site admin/blog/scripting whatever. You go to these websites to use those services, but those functions are not built into Avant itself. If such functions were built-in, that would of course be bloat.

Besides, such buttons or fast links to access your commonly used services already exist. You can create custom Avant buttons or just use Bookmarks to have quick, direct access to whichever service you need. And quite often, you will still be able to "do everything from your browser". Most of the services you mentioned are already provided or administered web-based by different websites, so just click your bookmark to where you need to go and you never leave your browser.

MagicStarER
Fan
Fan

Post by MagicStarER » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 pm

That's OK! :) There's nothing like respect and a good sense of humor!

I get lots of bright ideas... My way of seeing it is: If you never have any ideas, how will you ever get a good one? Just imagining... Lots of great things started out as somebody's "crazy" idea... Like I said, if I were a programmer, that is what I would do. Somebody needs to put Tom and Rupert behind us. If I were really, really smart and could do it, I would mix up MySpace, Bravenet, and HubPages and everybody would make money! It would be glorious!

Course, that is just a dream.

Maybe somebody real smart will read this and understand what I am talking about, and we'll be the next moguls of Web 2.0!

While I'm waiting for that unknown genius, I'll be getting back to Lisa Frank and Space Alien Invader browser skins for the kiddies. (I don't even have any, btw. Must be entering my second childhood.)

:)

P.S.: Have you looked at all my Avant skins? I've got loads more ready to upload. I have to quit pretty soon, it is like an obsession. :crazy:

MagicStarER
Fan
Fan

Post by MagicStarER » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Yah, I know - hard to wrap your mind around... That's why when I realized what I had imagined, it hit me up side my head.
setting up/providing the infrastructure/maintaining and supporting such services has nothing directly to do with Avant nor any browser, nor does it really make sense to integrate them as features into Avant.
There is the whole crux of the matter. No one has ever made a browser and accompanied it with complete web services! They tried to do this with Silverlight, in a way. But I don't know about anybody else, but I don't like Silverlight.

Maybe I don't really mean "accompany", maybe I mean, easily accessible and adapted for the browser user. Services desired could be selected optionally and customized.

I know that we can use bookmarks and add buttons. But we are going all over the place to other places on the web.

I guess it would be more appropriate to say, that the hosting/blog/networking/revenue services would be a separate entity from the browser itself, but would be easily added and accessible, and would make the whole thing a uniform experience, according to the services selected by the user.

I mean, what does mostly everyone do on the internet?

1) Build and maintain website(s)
2) Keep a blog
3) Social networking
4) Try to make money

What if:

Somebody had a great browser that was fast, stable, and customizable (Avant!)

And what if somebody, besides providing a good browser, also provided all the services people are looking for on the internet, all accessible (and customizable!) right from that browser...

1) Web hosting - dns service
2) Blog
3) Social Networking
4) Everybody make money!

See what I mean?

Ok, it may never be Avant.

But I'll use Avant for lack of the appropriate trade name:

1) Avant Browser
2) Avant Web Hosting
3) Avant Blog
4) Avant Social Networking
5) Everybody makes money! (Google Adsense, text links, E-Bay, Amazon...)

(I don't know why I keep elaborating - I think I'm beating a dead horse!)

Thanks for being so patient and putting up with my goofy ideas! :)

OK - back to Dora the Explorer and the skins...

LOVE!

(Ava + nt = AVANT!!!)

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:24 am

Well, being completely honest.. There is already a browser out there that is build specifically for Social networking.. Its called Flock. Its like firefox but alittle big different.
-- Matt --

MagicStarER
Fan
Fan

Post by MagicStarER » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:15 am

Really? I've heard it mentioned, but I have not checked that one out. I will have to do that. Then I got to thinking about Google Chrome and all the services Google provides... So I guess some of the big guys ARE thinking along these lines. Google, especially. I'm kind of surprised that Yahoo has not come up with a browser... It is interesting to think about, anyway...

Oh, btw, I should tell you that this site is very nicely designed. Did you do it? or help? Very good job - it is very clean and easy to use. I like the Avant site having the forum, etc. It's great! :)

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:20 am

Well, Google doesn't have any social networking built into Chrome though. Google has a blog service(blogspot) but there isn't really anything built into Chrome specific to blogspot..

As yes the default style for the forum is all mine and drdrrae and I designed the Orca site. Thanks! But, the Avant site was already here before I got involved. Eventually the forum will be moved over to the avant force site but for right now its stay here.
-- Matt --

MagicStarER
Fan
Fan

Post by MagicStarER » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Well, you really did a wonderful job here - it is superbly done! I am proud to know you! :wave:

I usually stay away from forums - the only reason I registered for this one is so I could find out how to get my Browser Skin Maker to work so I could make skins, and so I could ask some questions about the browser, add-ons, etc. For me to join a forum at all signifies real interest. I only belong to a few - on Yahoo: the Equine Rescue group, and http://groups.yahoo.com/ChemtrailTrackingUSA, but more a lurker than anything else.

(Gotta go - I'm literally DROWNING in browser skins!)

(What's the main difference between Orca and Avant Browsers, btw?)

Thanks for being so patient ...

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:03 pm

MagicStarER wrote:(What's the main difference between Orca and Avant Browsers, btw?)
Simply put, Avant uses Internet Explorer's rendering engine (Trident), Orca uses Firefox's one (Gecko).

They both look the same and are more or less functionally equal, but you can use (most) Internet Explorer plugins with Avant, and (some) Firefox extensions with Orca.

BTW - your skins should work with both Avant and Orca, give it a go!

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Post by flowrush » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:42 pm

From the reaction I got, it is more than clear that no one ever thought about including more with a browser...
I thought it was clear from the responses that it has been thought about... and the resounding answer why it isn't so, is simply because it causes bloat. Integrating all these bells and whistles makes no sense for the average user and doesn't seem feasable for the type of project Avant exists as.
I mean, what does mostly everyone do on the internet?

1) Build and maintain website(s)
2) Keep a blog
3) Social networking
4) Try to make money
Really? I'd like to see some statistics to back that up. By and large, I'd be willing to bet the majority of 'internet users' do little of the above aside from casual social networking. You can count me in that same group as well because I use the internet mostly as a tool and resource for endeavors outside the e-realm. I use it primarily for news, gaming, research, reading, entertainment and overall doing those tasks with speed and efficiency. And additionally I think most of those tasks can be done quick enough without the need of further browser integration.
But we are going all over the place to other places on the web.
I believe you are going all over the place and it's hard for me to follow. :?
4) Everybody make money!
:lol: No I don't see where you're going with this. Where's the green?

To me, as has been reiterated already, and bloatware aside, there aren't even enough resources to make Avant the jack of all trade's at all of the various web tools webmasters use to warrant executing the idea in the first place. There are many standalone apps that are already do the job better than Avant probably ever could hope to and I'd hope it says that way. If you are really feeling slowed down by not having these feature's built in, well, Flock or Seamonkey is tailored for someone like you.

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:19 am

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that "likes to debate" (or plain and simple; argue). ;)

I think all of the ideas discussed here could be implemented with a better form of a plugins system. If someone really wants these things, why not make it a democracy or rather, a choice of free will. If someone wants all of the things discussed here, I would be glad to make a plugin for Avant.

I've been fighting for this for a long time. I believe with some great minds combined, we could make a plugin that simulates these things discussed. And the people who would like an "IRC client", or and chatroom service, or even just a basic "who's viewing what" should be able to decide so, based on what sounds cool in the plugin download section. The only way to be able to actually make that at all possible, is with a great plugin system.

So instead of requesting a full blown community service built into Avant, let's consider the fact that the majority of the Avant users would rather not have it, as it "creates bloat". And instead of not considering the people who would actually like this, let's think about how it could be possible without disregarding the first party.

Plugins are the answer.

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Post by flowrush » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:15 pm

I agree plugin's do make the most sense and that's another route people can take seeing as that's how FF does it.

But before any of that I really want to see an even more stable and faster, non-memory leaking Avant 12 come out. I think that's the day I've been waiting for ever since 10.x

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:51 pm

This may be of interest...
Google Wave at Wikipedia wrote: Google Wave is "a personal communication and collaboration tool" announced by Google at the Google I/O conference, on 28 May 2009. It is a web based service and computing platform designed to merge e-mail, instant messaging, wiki, and social networking. It has a strong collaborative and real-time focus supported by robust spelling/grammar checking, automated translation between 40 languages, and numerous other extensions. It is expected to be released later in 2009.
Websites: Google Wave Preview | About Google Wave | Blog Announcment