Orca Browser FAQ?

Discuss Orca Browser here, but do not post support requests, bug reports, etc. in this forum. Note that Orca is no longer in development, and no new builds or versions of Orca are planned.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2018 Build 7 USB
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Orca Browser FAQ?

Post by Dreamer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:29 pm

I think the Orca Browser FAQ would be very useful, since it's not so easy to use as Avant and there are some useful options which are not available in the Orca Browser Options. My English is not good enough and I don't know everything about Orca to make it, but perhaps with the help of other users...

Here are few examples:

I didn't find any way to install Firefox extensions from the hard drive via menu, the only way is drag & drop, so the first one is:

How to open the Firefox Options dialog?
Type chrome://browser/content/preferences/preferences.xul in the address bar and press Enter.

How to get more (hidden) options in Orca Browser?
Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Be careful when changing these options.

Which extensions are working in Orca Browser?
Please check the Official Orca Extensions List.

How to install downloaded extension from the hard drive?
Drag an extension from explorer to Orca Browser window and click the "Install Now" button.

How to download any(?) online video?
Install the Video DownloadHelper extension, then right-click anywhere on the page (but not on the video), select DownloadHelper, Media and click the sub-item. "Media" menu item is available only before the video is fully loaded, so if it's not available, refresh the page and try again.

How to add another language to spell checker?
Find and install a dictionary - extension (.xpi file) for your language. Menu item "Add Dictionaries..." in the context menu, Languages doesn't work (*AFAIK).

How to make the Orca Browser to remember the passwords?
To use Orca's AutoFill:

Go to Tools >> Orca Browser Options... >> Auto Complete >> Prompt to save logins and ENABLE it
Go to about:config (type it into the address bar)
Find signon.rememberSignons and make sure it is set to false

All password management options are in the Tools >> Orca Browser Options... >> Auto Complete page.

To use the Gecko/Firefox password manager:

Go to Tools >> Orca Browser Options... >> Auto Complete >> Prompt to save logins and DISABLE it
Go to about:config (type it into the address bar)
Find signon.rememberSignons and double-click to change "false" to true

To access the Gecko master password dialog, type the following link into the Orca address bar:

Code: Select all

chrome://pippki/content/pref-masterpass.xul
Passwords can be managed by going to File >> Properties >> Security >> View Saved Passwords

How to save a web page in MHT format?
Install the MAF extension.

More suggestions for the FAQ:

- Why I should use Orca Browser (instead of Avant Browser)? (Answer: Gecko engine, extensions, spell checker in more languages...)
- Are the settings from Avant Browser compatible with Orca Browser? (Answer: Yes (AFAIK), but I don't know the paths, sincle I'm using portable versions, also the paths are not the same in XP/Vista...)
- How to import Avant Browser settings into Orca Browser? (Answer: Copy the .default folder from Avant to Orca (again, I'm not sure about the path of this folder and if it's working 100% correct))
- Portable / USB version
- Multiple instances (there is a workaround, but it's not public, yet)

All the information in this "unofficial (and incomplete) Orca Browser FAQ" are collected from the Orca forums (and few from my head ;) ). Special thanks to kudos, I couldn't even start using Orca without his help!

If you think you have any useful information, post it in this topic, perhaps someone will use it to make the official Orca FAQ. I know, my FAQ need corrections, but I think it's a good start. Some Avant FAQ might be used also for the Orca FAQ.
Dreamer

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: Orca Browser FAQ?

Post by kudos » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:35 pm

I have been planning to make such an article in the Wiki, where it can be easily modified and updated - I just need to find a suitable amount of spare time...

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:06 am

OK, but I think it should be also in the forum, at least a link to wiki, perhaps also in the Orca Browser Help menu.
Dreamer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 pm

Addition for the FAQ:

How to make the Orca Browser to remember the passwords?
(addition)
To use Sxipper:

Download and install the Sxipper. Follow the steps to use the Gecko/Firefox password manager.

Sxipper can import RoboForm Identities and Passcards. With Sxipper you don't have to type a master password for every opened tab at start, when using option to auto-save all tabs on exit. You have to cancel all dialogs at start, but then you will be prompt for a password just once.

How to watch online video on sites using Windows Media Player?
Download the Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin* and upnack the file np-mswmp.dll to Orca's plugin directory (for example C:\Program Files\Orca Browser\plugins\).

* the link is to the attachment in post by kudos, here in the forum, perhaps it should be change, but I am sure this one is working and I found just versions which need installation.

Note: All extensions and plugins in the FAQ are free.
Dreamer