Avant site says only thru XP - how about Vista or Firefox?

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Housknecht
Avant Version:

Avant site says only thru XP - how about Vista or Firefox?

Post by Housknecht » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:44 am

It would be great if you'd make Avant compatible with Vista and IE7. Even better, make it work over FireFox's sucky interface and functioanlity.

Your site does not list Windows Vista as a compatible OS.

I emailed the author but he didn't reply.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Re: Avant site says only thru XP - how about Vista or Firefox?

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:46 am

There are plenty of people using it with Vista. If it's not working with yours, feel free to post a thread in Bug Reports.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:46 am

Just to elaborate on what Hornakapopolis said, even though Vista isn't listed as officially being supported. There have already been several changes over the last few versions of Avant to be compatible with Vista. And its always worked with IE7. Avant will work with any version of Internet Explorer you have installed because all it uses is the rendering engine that comes with IE.
-- Matt --

Housknecht
Avant Version:

Post by Housknecht » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:39 am

They need to update their listed requirements and compatibilities. I went ahead and installed Avant 11.5 and it seems to run fine with one MAJOR problem. IE7 keeps stealing focus from Avant whenI click links in MS Outlook email, for instance. I have Avant as the default and to always check that it is the default but it is VERY irritating when IE7 keeps showing up - even when Avant is open already. I hate IE7 and I am extremely upset that it keeps stealing focus.

Any advice?

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:28 am

Yes, in Vista you have to set Avant as default from within Avant but also in Adminstrator mode. The problem is when you set Avant as default when not in Adminstrator mode, it never gets saved.

Here is what you do: Right click on the Avant icon and click Run as administrator and click continue when the consent window pops up.

Avant will open. Now goto Avant Browser Options and find "Files and Protocols" along the left-hand side. Check everything on that page except that last one. Using this method it doesn't need to continually check everytime if its the default.

Now click ok and close Avant. You will not have to go into Administrator mode for anything else in options for them to be saved its just this one area.

Open Avant as you normally would and everything should open up in Avant just as you want it to..
-- Matt --