An update to my dearest users

Announcements that appeared in the Announcements forum but are no longer pertinent are moved here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

skykingflyboy
Windows Version: Vista and XP SP2
Avant Version: V 11.7 build 12
IE Version: IE 8.0

Re: An update to my dearest users

Post by skykingflyboy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:28 pm

After I downloaded and installed version 11.7 build 21 my RoboForm stopped working with Avant. I have gotten so spoiled to using RoboForm that I have had to drop back to IE until Avant is fixed. Please fix it soon.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:52 pm

Would like a track-free mode like IE8's InPrivate feature. I know that I can clear history on exit, but that does all history, not jut current session.

Also like a countdown for each tab with auto refresh.

Settings stored as a text file ie ini or xml so that we can easily customise the browser.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:50 pm

If im understanding you correctly kudos. Each tab can already have a countdown where it will automatically refresh from 10 seconds to 15 minutes or all tabs at every 10 seconds to 15 minutes its up to you.
-- Matt --

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:17 pm

Yes, I use the auto refresh feature quite a lot - but say I set a tab to refresh every 10 minutes, it would be good to know if the next refresh is 10 seconds away or 9 minutes away. A display either with digits or a progress bar is what I meant.

I would also like to be able to set a custom refresh time too.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:20 pm

kudos wrote:Yes, I use the auto refresh feature quite a lot - but say I set a tab to refresh every 10 minutes, it would be good to know if the next refresh is 10 seconds away or 9 minutes away. A display either with digits or a progress bar is what I meant.

I would also like to be able to set a custom refresh time too.
Both is possible with script buttons....
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

jrfoster
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 build 21
IE Version: 8.0

Post by jrfoster » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Need to fix the problem of not being able to load certain web sites, like WWW.aish.com. I still can't get Avant to load the page and I am not on a proxy server just a stand alone home computer. Others have been able to load that page, but there are those of us who cannot get there. Please look into what the problem is. Thank you.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 pm

jrfoster wrote:Need to fix the problem of not being able to load certain web sites, like http://WWW.aish.com. I still can't get Avant to load the page and I am not on a proxy server just a stand alone home computer. Others have been able to load that page, but there are those of us who cannot get there. Please look into what the problem is. Thank you.
Could you explain the problem in more details?
Are you getting any error message?
Some ads are being blocked on this site by the ads blocker. For testing purposes, Can you please disable the AD Blocker under the Tools menu and test whether it'll resolve your problem?
Main PC:

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127

Post by angeldust » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:18 pm

It loadsotay our moi, so could you be more specific?
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

Denmunro
Windows Version: Vista Home Premium
Avant Version: 11.7.21
IE Version: 7.0.6001.1800

Post by Denmunro » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:44 am

1. Restore Text Size Icon
2. Restore "hotlinks" opening in Avant ... not in Internet Explorer!

keychange
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: 11.7
IE Version: 7.0.5730.13

Post by keychange » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:53 am

A refresh that actually refreshes - images and text. :thumbup:

lhorwinkle
Windows Version: XP SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 18
IE Version: IE7

Post by lhorwinkle » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:33 pm

What's up with the new versions (v11)?
The browser is slow, consumes massive resources, and is often unusable.

I used to be able to open dozens of browser tabs at once. It would take time to load them all, but everything was accessible. Tabs responded, buttons and menus worked. No problems.

Now (v11), if I open two or three tabs, the browser hangs. Buttons and menus won't work until the pages finish loading.

This is true on my desktop (Dell 4600, Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 566 MHz bus, Windows XP SP2) and on my laptop (HP 6910p, Core 2 Duo T7300, 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 778 MHz bus, Windows XP SP2).

I had to revert to 10.0 build 31. I miss the newer features, but I just can't put up with the "slow-and- hang" of v11.

alepla
Windows Version: Windows 10
Avant Version: Avant Browser 2017 build 10, 11.13.2017
Default engine: IE11 Standard
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by alepla » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:42 am

Dear Developer(s),

in earlier versions of Avant Browser was easily possible to change the character code (UTF-8, West Europa, Middle Europa, etc.) in the Standard Buttons Bar for a correct display of whritten characters in many sites. This is no more possible in the last version 11.7 build 21 and others before. This feature is very important, because many sites cannot be correctly (e.g. some sites in german and other languages, which are not coded in UTF-8) displayed if you don't change the character code to West European or Middle European Code. :problem:

Why this feature was taken off? It would be very usual and nice to implement the feature again in the next version of Avant Browser (one of the best browsers on the web!) :thumbup: =D>

With my best wishes :wave:

Dr. Alexander Platz-Berg

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:38 pm

alepla wrote:Dear Developer(s),

in earlier versions of Avant Browser was easily possible to change the character code (UTF-8, West Europa, Middle Europa, etc.) in the Standard Buttons Bar for a correct display of whritten characters in many sites. This is no more possible in the last version 11.7 build 21 and others before. This feature is very important, because many sites cannot be correctly (e.g. some sites in german and other languages, which are not coded in UTF-8) displayed if you don't change the character code to West European or Middle European Code. :problem:

Why this feature was taken off? It would be very usual and nice to implement the feature again in the next version of Avant Browser (one of the best browsers on the web!) :thumbup: =D>

With my best wishes :wave:

Dr. Alexander Platz-Berg
This feature is available in the context menu. Just right click & go to Encoding & select the correct encoding.
Main PC:

toxi
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Avant Version: 2013 build 23
Default engine: Google Chrome
IE Version: IE9.0.8112
Skin: Stickers on Glass

Post by toxi » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:08 pm

To make so that it was possible to delete the typed addresses button Delete to make that it was possible to delete as well keywords for search as now it is possible to clear completely the list and to remove one-two unnecessary records it is impossible
Avant Browser

Merel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE8
Skin: N/A

ADD New Bookmark into Favorites

Post by Merel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:06 pm

The following is a known problem, both in IE7 and in Avant Browser.

If you make the choice to store bookmarks in Favorites, and want to ADD a new bookmark (in Favorites) , then a not resizable window opens where all folders are expanded. Therefore navigating down in a long list of folders is made difficult.

Many people complain about this. I couldn't find any solution or turnaround on the many discussions around this issue ; name it actually a bug for which there is no excuse !

Avant Browser however has his own proprietary turnaround (by ignoring Favorites) and making his own Bookmarks. Adding new Bookmarks is made a lot easier with a "normal" tree layout.

But ...
1. Bookmarks not being synchronized with the Favorites ; resulting eventually with 2 different lists.
2. You need mandatory use of Avant Browser to access the Bookmarks, which cannot be edited or transmitted otherwise, unless exporting them.

I don't know if it would be possible (when using Favorites) to make the Add Bookmark function easier by opening a larger window showing a normal (not expanded) tree-layout.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:00 pm

I agree with Merel, but the way that I (and others) have put it in earlier requests is for such dialog boxes (Organize Bookmarks and also Organize Groups) is to make any and all such list management windows resizable. [-o<

Perhaps you're right and some of these are restricted to fixed-size windows by the underlying IE code. I shudder to think so, but would really like to see if Anderson can work out some way around this.

I have a large number of groups, some of which have a large number of entries, so both the left pane and the right pane of the Organize Groups dialog box needs to be much bigger to stop life being ****.

A generic approach to making all possible dialog boxes resizable might be the way to go. Does anybody know if this is possible?
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

bastones
Windows Version: Vista 32bit
Avant Version: 11.7
IE Version: 7

Post by bastones » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 am

Started using Avant and loving it! I've not had such problems others have had with hangups *yet* but Avant is a great alternative to very slow IE7 (on older machines).

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Would like a track-free mode like IE8's InPrivate feature. This alone would be great if you can pull it off. :thumbup: :)

marcomanno
Windows Version: xp and vista
Avant Version: 11.7 build 21
IE Version: 6.0 and 7.0

Post by marcomanno » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 am

my wishes:

1) in the bookmarks pane in the left part of the window I want to open a link in new window
by clicking with the midlle mouse button (at the moment I have to right click and select open in new window)

2) I have enabled the option to create a new tab next to the current one, BUT when double clicking on the windows bar, in an empty space, I want to create a new tab on the right of ALL other tabs.

3) make ie http headers work with avant (http://www.blunck.se/iehttpheaders/iehttpheaders.html)

4) bug fixes!

thanks.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:32 pm

marcomanno wrote:my wishes:
1) in the bookmarks pane in the left part of the window I want to open a link in new window
by clicking with the middle mouse button (at the moment I have to right click and select open in new window)
Marco (I presume, correct?),
I know exactly why you're asking for this, but already under Avant Browser Options / New Window, in the central section labelled Always create a new window for you can select Bookmarks, History, plus and five other link types (in fact I have them all selected to suit my fancy).

This means I don't even have to right-click them, just left-click on a bookmark or history item (or when you type a URL into the address bar, etc) and the page will always load in a new tab.

I also always select them to open in the background (radio button just below the check boxes) so that the browser doesn't lock up.

Of course, you may not ALWAYS want to open in a new tab, if so please disregard the above.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/