An update to my dearest users

Announcements that appeared in the Announcements forum but are no longer pertinent are moved here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

kazme
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Re: An update to my dearest users

Post by kazme » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi i don't know if someone has alry posted this, but it would be great if avant had a anonymity fuction like IE8(In private mode) or google chrome (inkognitions mode)

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:48 pm

That would be interesting kazme..
-- Matt --

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2017 Build 8 USB
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Post by Dreamer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Is it something like my old request Secret mode / Enable/Disable "History"?
Dreamer

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:00 pm

hello guys i think this should be seriously considered i like it and what it does :thumbup: :)

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2017 Build 8 USB
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Post by Dreamer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm testing Orca Browser now, it's great, Gecko engine, spell checker, Firefox extensions support, more (Firefox / hidden) options, Avant features - ALMOST perfect. However, there are still few things I miss and most important, there are still few very annoying bugs, so here is the list of missing features for Orca and Orca-only bug list (few are from Avant requests):

Requests:

USB version of Orca Browser + the same command line parameters as Avant - at least -runextra
...or Command line parameters to auto-save and open bookmarks

Toolbar button to show/hide the tab-bar
Add delay between closing tabs - to prevent accidental close

Bugs:

Keyboard shortcuts and toolbar buttons don't work good
Master password is needed for every opened tab
Context menu is displayed when using mouse shortcuts
Dreamer

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Wed May 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Regarding this thread: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 19#p158411
kudos wrote:Looks like you must have sounds set for the following Windows events: "Open program" and "Close program".
When Avant/Orca goes to a new page, it is loaded in a new hidden process and upon completion the process is closed and the data is transferred to the main program.
Windows produces notification sounds for these hidden process windows.
Can Avant and Orca's page loading structure be changed so that these hidden processes are not used?

Firstly, this open program and close program sounds problem will be resolved.

Secondly, is this the best way to do it? Can't page loading be run in a separate thread within the same program as opposed to opening a new program and closing it? Using separate hidden processes seems to require more overhead and more complications to transfer the loaded data to the main program.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by AXEMAN » Wed May 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Hello anonymity fuction does firefox have this feature if so what is it a addon and what is the name.also forgive me for not knowing . But how does IE run in private mode. :)

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 pm

AXEMAN wrote:Hello anonymity fuction does firefox have this feature if so what is it a addon and what is the name.also forgive me for not knowing . But how does IE run in private mode. :)
Firefox will have built-in Private Browsing mode in the next release (accessed from Tools menu > Start Private Browsing, shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+P). It is available now for testing in Firefox 3.5 Beta (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html)

IE8 also has built-in InPrivate Browsing (accessed from Tools menu > InPrivate Browsing, same shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+P).

What do you mean by "how does IE run in private mode"? It's done by the programming when IE is written. An internal mode setting is activated when IE's InPrivate Browsing is turned on. In this mode, no history, cache, nor cookies are saved. (Cookies are only saved for that browsing session just to facilitate website logins, etc.)

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Re: An update to my dearest users (re Avant being a memory hog)

Post by notestracker » Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 am

Just looked back through this thread, and saw a couple of posts about Avant using too much memory, and here's my latest comment about this (I've written extensively about this matter in other threads).

Well, maybe it can be true in some cases that Avant can consume lots of memory. I have sen found Avant using over 1 GB in the past (older versions of Avant, with IE6 installed until recently). But now that I've had IE8 installed for a couple of months, and always update to the latest Avant version, I definitely conclude that Avant is NOT a memory hog.

I also suspect that it is more stable under IE8 than under earlier versions of IE (IE6 for sure, and maybe also IE7). Since I hate the restrictive user interface of IE8 (and IE7), I rarely open IE8.

I tend to have Avant open for days at a time (by going into and out of Windows standby). Right now, I have 78 tabs open and Avant is only using around 250 MB of memory, which in my opinion is VERY good (quite on a par with Firefox, for example). The total amount consumed depends on the content of the tabs, but this is a typical result, at least for the type of sites that I visit.

Yesterday, I noticed the total memory had grown to something over 800 MB, which is a quite rare situation for me these days. So I fired up FreeRAM XP Pro, which reduced the total usage to under 300 MB. Occasionally I find that closing Avant (via "Save All Opened Pages and Exit) and then restarting it from scratch does a better memory clean up, and usually also reduces the CPU being consumed by Avant.

I also suspect that the IE8 rendering engine is more stable, with fewer page crashes, and this passes on beneficial effects to Avant as well.

Do others of you Avant aficionados have the same experience about all this?
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 am

It seems to take up a small bit of memory at a time, but consistenty. So what could it be? Obviously something that continues to tick while Avant isn't being in use. The only possibility I see is the online storage auto syncronization. Surely there are more routines in Avant though, so what are the possibilities?

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by AXEMAN » Sat May 23, 2009 6:13 pm

bksening wrote:
AXEMAN wrote:Hello anonymity fuction does firefox have this feature if so what is it a addon and what is the name.also forgive me for not knowing . But how does IE run in private mode. :)
Firefox will have built-in Private Browsing mode in the next release (accessed from Tools menu > Start Private Browsing, shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+P). It is available now for testing in Firefox 3.5 Beta (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html)

IE8 also has built-in InPrivate Browsing (accessed from Tools menu > InPrivate Browsing, same shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+P).

What do you mean by "how does IE run in private mode"? It's done by the programming when IE is written. An internal mode setting is activated when IE's InPrivate Browsing is turned on. In this mode, no history, cache, nor cookies are saved. (Cookies are only saved for that browsing session just to facilitate website logins, etc.)
I saw it at the top of this page Hi i don't know if someone has alry posted this, but it would be great if avant had a anonymity fuction like IE8(In private mode) or google chrome (inkognitions mode) :)

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:53 pm

From what I hear Axeman, that feature is in the works for Avant 12.
-- Matt --

sulpherdragon
Contributor
Contributor
Avant Version: 2013 Build 23
IE Version:
Skin:

Post by sulpherdragon » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:19 am

Of course the obvious Priority 1's:
Optomise it, its becomming laggy buggy and bloated. Avant was always one of the smallest (700kb!) slimmest, fastest browsers and thats the reason I started using it. Its starting to lose that uniqueness.

Without a doubt, mulithread Avant. This is not 2000 anymore, a lot of us have 4 core CPU's. The mores cores, the less powerfull each core is, next year when 8 cores come out Avant will run slower without multithreading. If you really want to go all out, implement an optional CUDA mode so it runs off nvidia GPUs (It would be the first CUDA powered browser I think, might get some publicity).

Better plugin system would be nice. If Orca worked perfectly and used all the firefox plugins I'm sure everyone would be very happy. (With Orca at least)

Perfect the download manager and make it optional. (It was good, I used it a lot).

Better skin support would be nice too, The custom skins are nice, but I find myself frustrated that I dont have more options.

Thats all for now, but if I remember anything else I'll post again.

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:56 am

I always find the subject of Skins very curious.
I have been using Avant for many years and have been using the Office XP skin from the start. I like the skin to be as unintrusive as possible.
I don't understand why people make so much of skins. Anyone care to enlighten me! ;-)

krgh
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
Avant Version: 10.52
IE Version: 8

Post by krgh » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 am

ABman wrote:I always find the subject of Skins very curious.
I have been using Avant for many years and have been using the Office XP skin from the start. I like the skin to be as unintrusive as possible.
I don't understand why people make so much of skins. Anyone care to enlighten me! ;-)
Hi,

can u tel me why u like office xp skin. since i like monai xp skin (since it gives a better indication of active tab), i want to know this.

Interest, desire, like are always different. different people are different in creative that they can go. so i think he needs to be creative

regards
Gururaja

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:18 am

krgh wrote:... can u tel me why u like office xp skin. since i like monai xp skin (since it gives a better indication of active tab), ...
As I said I like skins to be inobtrusive and fade into the background. Monai XP is very similiar to Office XP apart from the tabs. I prefer a grey background to a white background which stands out too much for me. Just personal preference.

sulpherdragon
Contributor
Contributor
Avant Version: 2013 Build 23
IE Version:
Skin:

Post by sulpherdragon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:22 pm

If at all possible it would be cool to have ActiveX site whitelist and blacklist so that activex only runs on certain sites.
There are certain adverts that use activex to bypass the built in adblocker, a smarter adblocker would be nice too.

WindRune
Windows Version: Windows XP
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by WindRune » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:58 am

^ That sounds like a great idea! I prefer more the blacklist to be honest and sometimes I find it annoying if sites are using activex to bypass the adblocker.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

lhorwinkle
Windows Version: XP SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 18
IE Version: IE7

Post by lhorwinkle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:58 pm

Jasmine wrote:Our next major project will be focusing on Avant 12.0 !

Please let us know if there is anything else you would like to see us improve in the new version by replying to this post.
My suggestion .... quit worrying about features, and instead work to improve the speed.
Avant has become so slow that I've been forced to switch to Firefox.

I've been using Avant for years because it has tabs (which were lacking in IE5 and IE6). The implementation of tabs in IE7 was lame, so I stayed with Avant.

I depend heavily on tabs ... I often have dozens of tabs open at one time. But I can only open 2 or 3 at a time, and then it freezes. After a short while, it "comes to life" again. But after I open another tab or two, it freezes once more, reviving again after a short while.

Avant also hogs memory like nobody's business. It easily runs to 500 MB or more. The same windows opened in Firefox consume only 100 MB.

I saw none of this behavior with the older v10 versions, even on my older, slower computer.

Not good.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:36 am

I have just finished several weeks' of excellent assistance from Microsoft's Asia/Pacific Enterprise Desktop Support team -- based in China, the very birthplace of Avant Browser (AB). I'd like to make two serious points here that are vital to AB being improved and made more robust.

CASE 1:
In several threads of this forum, various other people and myself have described having big problems at times when you open lots of tabs inside AB (say, four or five rows of tabs, amounting to 50 or perhaps a lot more tabs simultaneously open). Symptoms include AB slowing down, memory use going over 1 GB, and sometimes locking up or crashing (luckily, AB's crash recovery works in nearly every situation).

CASE 2:
In the thread "A peculiar and bizarre Avant Browser behavior" (see URL forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26125 -- for some extremely silly reason, I got the warning that "You must have 10 posts before you can post urls") I have described a problem that probably is restricted to myself alone, but even so which reflects on an important design issue with AB. The symptom is that in certain circumstances on one only of my four display monitors any tab except the first one opened will show up as blank.

THE CONCLUSION:
The expert advice from Microsoft Support can be summarized as follows:

CASE 1:
As long as Avant Browser remains a 32-bit application, when memory usage of an AB instance approaches 2 GB slowdowns and unpredictable crashes will continue (even if, like me now with Windows 7, you're running AB under a 64-bit operating system). It is vital for a 64-bit version of Avant Browser to be made available.

CASE 2:
The curious "blank tabs" problem was proven not to be an NVIDIA display device driver problem nor a Windows 7 problem (indeed, it used to happen for me under 32-bit Windows XP). It is somehow related to the way that AB is coded (say, the routines being called). Interestingly the same behavior does NOT occur for Orca Browser, from the very same developer, everything variable being kept absolutely identical except choice of browser. I like Orca Browser a lot because it shares many of the same very nice features of AB, and would happily totally switch across to Orca if every single feature of AB were available under Orca (including several add-ons that I rely on that I've had trouble migrating across), but unfortunately this isn't yet so.

In summary, I think that it will be vital to modernize Avant Browser's design by moving up to 64-bit to overcome memory/performance limitations that are inherent in 32-bit mode, plus carefully reworking the display-painting code to eliminate bizarre behavior like my "blank tabs" issue, And I sincerely hope that Avant Browser version 12 will deliver such a redesign.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/