An update to my dearest users

Announcements that appeared in the Announcements forum but are no longer pertinent are moved here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Re: An update to my dearest users

Post by addonsfan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:40 am

Jasmine wrote:
addonsfan wrote:I wonder why groups arent't available for bookmarks...
If using IE favorites as bookmarks, groups are available. It's a submenu of Bookmarks. Since Avant's bookmarks allow you to add all open tabs to a folder why is it needed to have groups back? Isn't it duplicated in feature?
Oooooh. Good point. :lol:

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 am

Jasmine wrote:Since Avant's bookmarks allow you to add all open tabs to a folder why is it needed to have groups back? Isn't it duplicated in feature?
Jasmine, can you advise me where/how to do this (add all open tabs to a bookmark folder), since I've looked around and can't seem to find how to accomplish this.

It's certainly not in the "New Bookmark..." menu option, but it wouldn't be the first time that an action lives somewhere else inside Avant and I haven't noticed it.
Cheers...
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

kazme
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by kazme » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:20 am

make a new feature, so you can be able to ad proxies from an text file like this:

127.0.0.1:80
259.68.4.56:90
127.1.2.3:8080

and the list will load in the proxy list in avant when you choose a the text file containing ip numbers

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:59 pm

notestracker wrote:
Jasmine wrote:Since Avant's bookmarks allow you to add all open tabs to a folder why is it needed to have groups back? Isn't it duplicated in feature?
Jasmine, can you advise me where/how to do this (add all open tabs to a bookmark folder), since I've looked around and can't seem to find how to accomplish this.

It's certainly not in the "New Bookmark..." menu option, but it wouldn't be the first time that an action lives somewhere else inside Avant and I haven't noticed it.
Cheers...
Check the Add all tabs to bookmarks box on the New Bookmark window.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:13 pm

I already advised that in this post...

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:11 pm

bigC and kudos, the trouble is that I didn't ever see any such "Add all tabs to bookmarks" option, because I have always selected the Miscellaneous option "Use IE favorites as bookmarks" which causes a small dialog box to be displayed that has no such checkbox.

Now you've alerted me to that fact that when you deselect "Use IE favorites as bookmarks" a larger dialog box is presented having this "Add all tabs to bookmarks" checkbox.

So I suppose that I could convert over to using the IE bookmarks/folders architecture, however this presents me with two big issues:
  • A. How do I convert my dozens and dozens of existing groups created over the years across to the folder structure? If I can't do this, it's a "no go" for converting across.

B. With "Use IE favorites as bookmarks" deselected, there's a different dialog box for "Organize Bookmarks" too. While the main window is resizable, when you click the Edit button you get a secondary Edit dialog box which is too narrow to display long names or URLs (and happens to be one of the few that ResizeEnable cannot enlarge). This is rather unusable (if ever you need to do a lot of editing_, so again I ask why all dialog boxes everywhere aren't made resizable if they will need to display long names or lists?
It seems to be yet another case of "out of the frying pan into the fire" or "between a rock and a hard place" -- Oh well, that's software for you (including my own development output), never quite perfect.

In the meantime. I'll probably have to stick with using groups, and hope that the Organize Groups dialog will one day be made properly resizable by Anderson.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:24 pm

notestracker wrote:bigC and kudos, the trouble is that I didn't ever see any such "Add all tabs to bookmarks" option, because I have always selected the Miscellaneous option "Use IE favorites as bookmarks" which causes a small dialog box to be displayed that has no such checkbox.
Er, yes, sorry, I wasn't thinking. Well in that mode use Bookmarks >> Groups >> Create New Group...

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:56 am

Talked to Anderson just now. As I said techinical difficulties are solved but still another month needed to finish it. May be the alpha version could be out someday on May. Not very sure about the exact time. I can tell 12.0 will be different from 11.0 in interface which makes you design the style yourself more easily. Considering developing 12.0 will last long so he'll release an upgraded 11.7.24 this or next week to fix some known bugs.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Post by flowrush » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks for the news Jasmine, it is Always appreciated.

Please improve the 'check availability of bookmarks' feature as it is practically useless in its current form since it only verifies bookmarks in the trunk, none of the nested bookmarks (in folders) get checked unless you go within each folder manually. Additionally it should give you the option to purge all dead bookmarks at once to streamline this function.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:11 pm

flowrush wrote:it only verifies bookmarks in the trunk, none of the nested bookmarks (in folders) get checked unless you go within each folder manually.
Check the box that says "Show all bookmarks under this folder" the hit the check status button.
flowrush wrote:Additionally it should give you the option to purge all dead bookmarks at once to streamline this function.
Sort the status column, multi-select all failed links and hit the delete button. That way I guess you can review them.

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2017 Build 8 USB
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Post by Dreamer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:53 pm

So finally I found a way - alternative to multiple instances. I wouldn't need multiple instances (I mean multiple folders) if this feature would be added:

Command line parameters to auto-save and open bookmarks
I need to use multiple instances / folders, OR multiple bookmarks. Exactly I need to:

- open tab A, B, C, D
- auto-save tab A, B, C, D as bookmark 1 on exit
- open bookmark 1 with opened tabs A, B, C, D
- open tab E, F, close tab B
- save all opened tabs (A, C, D, E, F) as bookmark 1 - replace all old tabs!

...all this while using another bookmarks the same way with ability to use multiple instances.

Implementation would be using the command line parameters:

-bookmark"1"
-bookmark"2"
-bookmark"3"

Looks very easy and it would be also working easy:

-bookmark"1" would open always the new instance of Orca/Avant with the last saved tabs. On exit all the currently opened tabs would be saved as bookmark "1".

That's all, it's an alternative to option "Save all opened pages on exit", but the pages/tabs would be automatically saved to bookmark file instead of reopen.dat file - that's the only change.

Another suggestion, alternative without command line parameters, save the opened tabs automatically on exit to "bookmark1" file, then option to open this file - new instance of Orca/Avant would be opened with all saved tabs, on exit save all tabs to "bookmark1" file. If "bookmark2" file would be opened, then auto-save all tabs to "bookmark2" file on exit.

It's the same way as command line parameters, but the files would be used instead of parameters - it would be more user friendly, but for me any way would be OK.

Thanks!
Dreamer

jayceejm
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: 7.0.5730.13

Post by jayceejm » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:59 am

Well i think the folks here have covered it all.My browser needs are simple and i find that though the programme can be a memory hog i still think its the best above all. The URL alias is the feature that keeps me and the mouse gestures. Was a brilliant move. Can i get a mouse gesture that alllows me to revert to the last tab that was viewed?

Another simple request. Can we simiply put back the Menu bar in the left corner where all menu bars are and honestly seem to belong. Its simple but a pain as my mouse always heads to the left where all other programmes have it.

thanks

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 pm

jayceejm wrote:mouse gesture that alllows me to revert to the last tab that was viewed?
Yep, the default is UP then LEFT. It's the first one in the mouse gestures dialog - Previous Window.
jayceejm wrote:Can we simiply put back the Menu bar in the left corner
Disable "Compact Style" in the View menu.

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2017 Build 8 USB
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Post by Dreamer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 pm

kudos wrote:
jayceejm wrote:mouse gesture that alllows me to revert to the last tab that was viewed?
Yep, the default is UP then LEFT. It's the first one in the mouse gestures dialog - Previous Window.
I think he means last viewed tab. For example, go to tab 1, 5, 9 - then use a mouse gesture to go back to tab 5, not 8.

I support this request, but not only as a mouse gesture, also as a mouse shortcut, keyboard shortcut - and when just single click the current tab, go to last viewed tab. Keyboard shortcut has been added already, but also removed, I'm not sure if there is any other keyboard shortcut now, in Avant/Orca.

Also the Last viewed tab 'mini toolbar' button woud be nice.
Dreamer

vito_ag1987
Windows Version: XP
IE Version: 7

Post by vito_ag1987 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:23 pm

well
first of all we all need low memory usage
totally new skin system like other browsers and skins with different icons
adding file sniffer will be great
html files icons other than IE Icons

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:35 pm

There are plenty of skins with different icons and plus you can use any icons you want by using the skin maker program. And from what I hear there are already going to be some changes to the skin system.
-- Matt --

jacoflea
Avant Version:

Post by jacoflea » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:23 am

I can't live without avant browser
still waiting........

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 am

You can have it right now jacoflea.. There isnt any need to wait for Avant 12 to use it.
-- Matt --

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:15 am

That sounded like you were saying Avant 12 is out.

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:01 pm

Its like Microsoft saying you dont need to wait for Windows 7 to use Aero.. Because Vista already has it. Same difference.
-- Matt --