An update to my dearest users

Announcements that appeared in the Announcements forum but are no longer pertinent are moved here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:44 am

Our next major project will be focusing on Avant 12.0 !

In this version those features which has been frequently requested, such as adjustable tab width, profile backup/recovery and customizable profile location etc will be fixed. A major improvement over the framework of Avant will be in this version, and a lot of interesting features will be added as well. A formal announcement of these features will be posted once Avant 12.0 beta 1. is completed.

We apologize for the delay on Avant 12.0 since we have been focusing on Orca in the past few months. We really appreciate your patient and like you to know how important your comments are to us, any feedback and suggestions is greatly appreciated here in Avant, so please keep them coming!

Please let us know if there is anything else you would like to see us improve in the new version by replying to this post.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,
Jasmine.

Hennes
Windows Version: Windows 7 RC1 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 26
IE Version: v8.00

Post by Hennes » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 am

Hello,

Well, I have one. Please a 64-bit program would do. I'm running Windows 7 and Windows Vista. :clap:

Jasmine wrote:Our next major project will be focusing on Avant 12.0 !

In this version those features which has been frequently requested, such as adjustable tab width, profile backup/recovery and customizable profile location etc will be fixed. A major improvement over the framework of Avant will be in this version, and a lot of interesting features will be added as well. A formal announcement of these features will be posted once Avant 12.0 beta 1. is completed.

We apologize for the delay on Avant 12.0 since we have been focusing on Orca in the past few months. We really appreciate your patient and like you to know how important your comments are to us, any feedback and suggestions is greatly appreciated here in Avant, so please keep them coming!

Please let us know if there is anything else you would like to see us improve in the new version by replying to this post.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,
Jasmine.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:39 am

The program still shuts down sporadically when saving a favorite--I was avoiding the problem by using the right-click menu, but now it's doing it too.

Psykocyber
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3, Vista SP1, Win 7
Avant Version: V11.7 B21
IE Version: IE7 & IE8

Re: An update to my dearest users

Post by Psykocyber » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:41 am

Only two things, stability and speed. I find that there are many pages on which Avant hangs. For example digg.com but most importantly, multi thread the browser. Watching a video, especially in HD, while loading another page in the background makes the video hang.

Features I would like to see improved is Avants alternative to the "Awesome" bar in Firefox. Avant can only seach for single strings, while Firefox can search for each word individually.
A Speed Dial (like in opera) would be nice too.
Danish translator of Avant Browser, Folder2MyPC, Folderico & Google

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:50 am

Only three things and I'll be happy!
1. Groups back where they used to be as a separate menu.
2. System buttons back where they used to be.
3. Startup speeded up, it's very slow compared to other browsers I've used.

ElimGarak
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46 SR3
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18702

Post by ElimGarak » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:56 am

Let's see...

1) Restore Text-size button
2) Restore groups
3) I don't know if it's possible, but anonymous navigation would be nice
4) Better password management. Not all the sites work now.
5) More toolbars integration

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:02 pm

How about a real plugins system like in some other web browsers?
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:35 pm

ABman wrote:2. System buttons back where they used to be.
I assume by "used to be" you mean on the windows tab bar? Well, I don't want them there so I'd be against that idea. Unless of course it was an optional sort of thing. :wink:

IMO... the priority in the next version should be fixing or addressing the memory leaks, high cpu, & freeze ups many users have been experiencing. It hasn't been much of an issue for me personaly but I know for others it has.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:44 pm

Yes for me the freezing and lock ups have most of the time happened around video players on sites and basically Flash in general. Like Psykocyber said, better support for videos playing and tabs loading int he background.
-- Matt --

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 pm

bigC wrote:
ABman wrote:2. System buttons back where they used to be.
I assume by "used to be" you mean on the windows tab bar? Well, I don't want them there so I'd be against that idea. Unless of course it was an optional sort of thing. :wink:

IMO... the priority in the next version should be fixing or addressing the memory leaks, high cpu, & freeze ups many users have been experiencing. It hasn't been much of an issue for me personaly but I know for others it has.
Sorry, my mistake. I'm getting confused with somethings else.
I agree, system buttons are fine where they are. I hated them on the tab bar as well.

Crs
Contributor
Contributor
Windows Version: Win XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: USB 11.7 B35
IE Version: 6 & 7

Post by Crs » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Features & Bug-fix i would like to see in Avant.

-> Fixing CPU usage,memory leaks and crashes.This occurs most often with Websites built in Flash.
-> USB Avant store Favicons data to (.default) folder and remove the function that delete them from "Clear Temporary Internet Files" or add separate function to "clear favicons".

-> Re-add a download manager.
-> Improve a bit skin maker and avant gui to have better skins. :wink:

Thanks
..Image..............Image..............Image..
[Avant - Orca] - [Skins] ..................................................... [Avant - Orca] - [Add-Ons]

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:16 am

I don't care about new features, I want the bugs fixed first, such as the memory leaks, sporadic freezing on Ajax sites such as Digg.com et al (only reason I'm still using an older version is that the newer one's are too unstable on this machine :( ).

Once the bugs are fixed, then we should think about new features .....

scubamaster
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by scubamaster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:43 am

MysteryFCM wrote:I don't care about new features, I want the bugs fixed first, such as the memory leaks, sporadic freezing on Ajax sites such as Digg.com et al (only reason I'm still using an older version is that the newer one's are too unstable on this machine :( ).

Once the bugs are fixed, then we should think about new features .....
Well said Mystery, I agree with you a 100%! =D>

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz; 4GB RAM; Nvidia GeForce 8600GT w. 280.26 driver
Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit SP1 (all patches)
Avant: V2011 b30 - (IE Favorites - No On-Line Storage)
IE V9.0.8112.16421-Upd 9.0.2; Java: 1.7.0.147; Flash: V10.3.183.5
Windows Security Essentials V2.1.1116.0

Psykocyber
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3, Vista SP1, Win 7
Avant Version: V11.7 B21
IE Version: IE7 & IE8

Post by Psykocyber » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:30 am

Danish translator of Avant Browser, Folder2MyPC, Folderico & Google

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:53 pm

It would be nice if you can fix how avant doesnot work for some sites. I have one i need to be there so i had to download firefox just to get to one site. Avant always says opps we can't open this page make sure you are connected to the internet.

krgh
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
Avant Version: 10.52

Post by krgh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:44 am

1. please please please bring back groups feature with seperate groups menu. i am still staying with V10.52 because of this. Dont why or who proposed to remove it.

2. Option to Hide avant from meu bar.

3. RSS feeds display -> old feature was super. New little irritating(atleast to me). i am always look at technoly feeds & i need to see all topics at once)

4.Fix all existing bugs & give us something like old faithfull stable avanth browser we had during good old v10.x .

Regards
Gururaja

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Post by flowrush » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:16 am

better memory management. I notice every time I restore a session, certain sites require me to verify the popup that says I'm viewing a secure page. Any time that happens it stalls the restoration of all other pages that are in the process of being restored until I click ok. Avant definitely tends to get hung up more than any other browser and I'm sure it's due to memory leaks that need to be plugged. If the speed can get back to where the browser felt like in early versions 10.x I'd be one happy camper along with the fixes already planned for it.

krgh
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
Avant Version: 10.52

Post by krgh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:29 am

flowrush wrote:If the speed can get back to where the browser felt like in early versions 10.x
:clap: Love to see there are still avant fans using/loving 10.x versions.

Kudos.

Regards
Gururaja

jis
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: WXPPSP3, WVHPSP2, W7U64
Avant Version: 11.7.0.46SR

Post by jis » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:48 pm

See my sig...
Avant user since the year 2003.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Ni hao, Jasmine. Avant release 12 sounds lkke very good news! Here are a few ideas of mine that might or might not already be in the pipeline.

STABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
As others have said, it's a problem when one tab of Avant freezes or crashes. Freesing in one tab stops everything else in the other tabs from working until the freeze ends (if ever), and crashing means that all the tabs have to be reloaded when Avant is restarted. I tend to sit with 30 or 40 tabs open a lot of the time, so having to restart usually takes minutes rather than seconds (plus, you have to pay again for every bit of data reloadedeach time).

And regarding memory hogging, I used to regularly find Avant consuming many hundreds of MB of RAM, sometimes even above 1 GB if I happened to have 60 or 70 or 80 tabs open at once. Then after a disk crash several months ago, I reinstalled Windows XP which brought with IE6, and I did not upgrade to IE7 (that I had earlier been running), and now with IE6 I've never had the same memory consumption issues. So I'm sitting back-level with IE6 and have no intention of using IE7 again, but maybe will install IE8 when that goes gold and Avant is proven to work well with IE8. In short, it could be IE7 (and presumably also IE8) which is hogging memory, not Avant itself.

DUPLICATE SELECTED TAB IN NEW AVANT BROWSER:
I requested this months ago, and you asked why. It's because if you already have lots of tabs open, it will be extremely handy to right-click on one of the tabs and request that entire web page to be opened in a new instance of Avant. You already can right-click on a URL link in the page and request that the link be opened in a new Avant Browser instance, all I want is for this to be extended to right-clicking on the tab to open the entire page in a new instance, which shouldn't be too hard to accomplish (Firefox does this, via one of the tabbed browser add-ons).

Avant already allows you to right-click on a tab and select "Duplicate" to create copy of that tab in the current Avant instance. I'm not sure why you would want to do this, but in summary why can't there similarly be "Duplicate in a New Avant Browser" tab context menu option? This would enable me to open selected or all links on that web page in the new Avant instance, followed by adding those pages to a new or existing group (which is my main reason for asking), And it also will be a good way to reduce the number of tabs opened in the original Avant instance.

RESIZABLE DIALOG BOX WINDOWS WHEREVER POSSIBLE:
Why, in particular, is the "Organize Groups" dialog box not resizable? I find groups to be an extremely useful feature of Avant, and have lots and lots of them (well over 100 groups at the moment). With the current fixed-size dialog box you can only see 12 groups at a time, and because of the narrow left-hand column you cannot see the entire group name if it's longer than 20 or so characters, This is very awkward and inconvenient to manage.

In contrast, the "Organize Favorites" dialog box is resizable. Why should they not both be resizable? Surely it's not a difficult user interface programming change (unless it is due to a restriction in the underlying Microsoft foundation of IE (or even Windows), which is hard to imagine -- but possible, because there are lots of other non-browser-related dialog boxes in Windows that are fixed-size when they really should not be.

Even other Avant dialog boxes, such as Avant Browser Options, could be candidates for becoming resizable.

I'm fed up with user interface designers and programmers who don't allow dialog boxes to be resized so that you cab conveniently display and edit whatever data they represent. In fact, Windows is riddled with tiny, cramped, inflexible dialog boxes.

Hey, I'm only suggesting all this in the interests of increased usability and user satisfaction!
:wink: Cheers, Tony.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/