An update to my dearest users

Announcements that appeared in the Announcements forum but are no longer pertinent are moved here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

bestall666
Windows Version: Vista Premium 32 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7.31
IE Version: 7

Re: An update to my dearest users

Post by bestall666 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:44 am

Hello

i'm waiting full ie8 compatibility beofe replacing ie7 !!!

i'm hoping possibility to choise easyly search engine (google) with the possibility to choose it in the search bar like ie7 !!

do i need to wait avant 12 ?

Bestall666

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:23 am

You don't need to wait for Avant v12 to beable to use IE8. IE8 works just fine with Avant 11.7
-- Matt --

travllr
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by travllr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:33 am

krgh wrote:1. please please please bring back groups feature with seperate groups menu. i am still staying with V10.52 because of this. Dont why or who proposed to remove it.
Heck, I'm using 10.38 with IE7 (but I think it ran better under IE6). In versions after .38, while working in Full Screen, when I'd mouseover to the top, or sides, there'd be a delay before the menu/tabs would appear - drove me crazy. I'd even have to click the mouse sometimes to get to get menu/tabs into view.

Then, when I installed a new version (with online bookmarks) and saw groups gone, back I came again to 10.38 and have been pretty happy ever since.

Funny though, it seems like my Yahoo Classic email has gotten slower and slower. Was that because of IE7?
Don't Upset Yourself :-)

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:51 am

G'day travllr, here's my tuppence worth -- or two cents worth, if you're too young to remember penny coins.

I have recently upgraded from IE6 to IE8 and find that it behaves very well. I had IE7 installed for quite a few months during early 2007, and found Avant gobbling up lots and lots of RAM, sometimes it was well over 1 GB with 70 or 80 or more tabs opened.

So I uninstalled IE7 and stayed with IE6 for a long time (also due to the fact that IE7 did away with Ctrl + Mouse Wheel for Text Size changing, as I've discussed in other threads such as the currently active http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 73#p156773)

After just a week or two with IE8, I've arrived at the preliminary conclusion that IE8 is a lot better behaved than IE7 in terms of stability and memory management. For example, right now I have around 60 tabs open and it's only consuming about 190 MB of RAM, whereas with IE7 it would already have been heading toward 1 GB or so.

Anyhow, for me so far there haven't been any serious issues using Avant with IE8. Note that there might also have been some under-the-hood Avant stability/performance/memory handling improvements too, I don't know enough to comments on this aspect.

I have been updating to each new Avant release (currently on version 11.7 Build 23) and have no problems, with the fairly restricted set of features I use anyway. But I quite understand what you mean about groups not being a separate menu item as it was in version 10, and I found that preferable too. (I think that Anderson merged the design of Groups/Bookmarks for good technical or programming workload reasons, which I can't recall -- can anybody else explain why?)
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

weather909
Windows Version: windows vista
Avant Version: 1
IE Version: IE8

Post by weather909 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:58 am

so when do we get are 1st look at 12.0 do you have a date set yet???

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:53 am

Won't be anytime soon weather.. Maybe 2009, maybe 2010.. A date has not been set.
-- Matt --

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:37 am

kudos wrote:Do you know which requests have made it to v12?
notestracker wrote:And, to follow on from kudos' question just above. is there a staged list of what might be in the version 12 sub-releases?

Didn't talk to Anderson very often lately as he's busy. If I am right he's just resolved all technical difficulties on 12.0 and still working on the framework of the program. So except for previously mentioned adjustable tab width, profile backup/recovery, customizable profile location and keeping browser from often freezing all other requests aren't confirmed to be included into list yet. We'll discuss them after he's ready for it.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:48 am

bestall666 wrote:Hello

i'm waiting full ie8 compatibility beofe replacing ie7 !!!

i'm hoping possibility to choise easyly search engine (google) with the possibility to choose it in the search bar like ie7 !!

do i need to wait avant 12 ?

Bestall666
You can define the default search engine to google's.
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:11 am

travllr wrote:
krgh wrote:1. please please please bring back groups feature with seperate groups menu. i am still staying with V10.52 because of this. Dont why or who proposed to remove it.
Then, when I installed a new version (with online bookmarks) and saw groups gone, back I came again to 10.38 and have been pretty happy ever since.

Funny though, it seems like my Yahoo Classic email has gotten slower and slower. Was that because of IE7?

Could we add a feature to import groups into bookmarks?
Don't know why groups are so important. There is also a feature in Bookmarks which enabling you to add all opened tabs into a folder.

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:41 am

Jasmine wrote:...and still working on the framework of the program.
New framework is a great idea imo. :thumbup:

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:12 am

Jasmine, I can't find anywhere the ability to save all open tabs into a new bookmark folder (that is like the ability to add all open tabs into a new group), could you tell us where this feature is? Indeed, is not the main reason for using groups due to the fact that this capability is missing from bookmark management.

An architectural matter regarding groups is that they are stored in an internal format that you cannot read (and edit) using a text editor like Notepad. This complicates the renaming and rearrangement of groups.

I would like to see groups in a folder hierarchy like bookmarks, and the "Organize Groups" then becomes like the "Organize Bookmarks" management interface. I use groups very frequently, and find the management of groups currently to be a rather painful procedure.
Cheers...
Tony Austin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:16 am

notestracker wrote:Jasmine, I can't find anywhere the ability to save all open tabs into a new bookmark folder (that is like the ability to add all open tabs into a new group), could you tell us where this feature is?
Bookmarks >> New Bookmark... >> Add all tabs to bookmarks >> OK

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:20 am

notestracker wrote:I use groups very frequently, and find the management of groups currently to be a rather painful procedure.
Do you mean bookmark folders? I thought groups were no longer present.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

kudos wrote:Do you mean bookmark folders? I thought groups were no longer present.
No, I really do mean groups, stored in the groups.dat file which resides in the .default folder of the Avant Profiles folder, and found in the Application Data folder of your Documents and Settings folder (in Windows XP, anyway). This is as distinct from Favorites/Bookmarks, which of course are stored elsewhere in Documents and Settings.

But now I need to correct myself, since I now recall that the groups.dat file is not some sort of binary file in an obscure internal format but just a plain text file with a fairly simple structure (see for yourself). If you take care you can edit this file with Notepad to reorganize your groups, however it's safer to use the "Organize Groups" interface -- even if this needs improved in usability as I and others have requested in other threads of the forum.
Tony Austin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:44 pm

I had to go back to Avant v10.2 in order to get groups. How do you enable this in v11.x?

What is wrong with the drag and drop feature of organising bookmarks? I find it easy to reorgainise them.

And to get them into a text-editable format, the export bookmarks feature seems ideal.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:21 pm

kudos wrote:I had to go back to Avant v10.2 in order to get groups. How do you enable this in v11.x?
Crikey, groups were just handled differently, not removed. Go to the Miscellaneous Avant option and select "Use IE Favorites as Bookmarks" (not at all intuitive, eh?)
kudos wrote:What is wrong with the drag and drop feature of organizing bookmarks? I find it easy to reorganize them. And to get them into a text-editable format, the export bookmarks feature seems ideal.
I agree that bookmarks are relatively easy to organize (via drag and drop, or cut and paste, or whatever). The "Organize Bookmarks" dialog is another way, but with a fixed-size dialog box it's a little awkward if you a=have lots of bookmarks.

Managing groups is a LOT harder, since the dialog box is also fixed in size and has several usability limitations, such as truncation of group names, and not "Sort by name" capability.

IMPORTANT TIP:
Following a tip a few weeks ago in another thread, I now use the free ResizeEnable tool from http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/released.html and it helps lot for both the above dialogs (except that group names remain truncated so sometimes you have to guess what the missing part of a name is, and only Anderson can properly fix this shortcoming). More important is that ResizeEnable is of enormous value not just inside Avant but all over the place in Windows and numerous Windows applications.

I continue to be amazed by how many apps out there don't allow resizable dialog boxes wherever they make sense (for long names, long lists, etc). Shame Microsoft, and all the other developers!
Tony Austin

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:38 pm

I wonder why groups arent't available for bookmarks...

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:08 am

addonsfan wrote:I wonder why groups arent't available for bookmarks...
If using IE favorites as bookmarks, groups are available. It's a submenu of Bookmarks. Since Avant's bookmarks allow you to add all open tabs to a folder why is it needed to have groups back? Isn't it duplicated in feature?

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:15 am

notestracker wrote:
IMPORTANT TIP:
Following a tip a few weeks ago in another thread, I now use the free ResizeEnable tool from http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/released.html and it helps lot for both the above dialogs (except that group names remain truncated so sometimes you have to guess what the missing part of a name is, and only Anderson can properly fix this shortcoming). More important is that ResizeEnable is of enormous value not just inside Avant but all over the place in Windows and numerous Windows applications.
What do you mean by truncated group name? Is sometimes the name too long to show them completely? If so, hovering the mouse over the name you'll see all.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:59 am

Jasmine wrote:What do you mean by truncated group name? Is sometimes the name too long to show them completely? If so, hovering the mouse over the name you'll see all.
But Jasmine, I don't WANT to hover the mouse over the entry to see the full name. Since I've used ResizeEnable to widen the Group Name column, I want to see the full name in plain view. That's what usability is all about.
Cheers...
Tony Austin