An update to my dearest users

Announcements that appeared in the Announcements forum but are no longer pertinent are moved here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2018 Build 7 USB
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Re: An update to my dearest users

Post by Dreamer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Hello!

The current version of Avant is almost perfect (except those 59 replies - and this one :wink: ). Here are the most important features for me:

Toolbar button to show/hide the tab-bar

- looks easy to implement, I know LOOKS, but it's already (partially) implemented, but only in menu, I need the toolbar button to quickly enable/disable tab-bar, or better - to switch between one-row and all tabs

USB version of Orca Browser + the same command line parameters as Avant - at least -runextra

---------------------------------------------

...and few other (less important) feature requests.

Auto Hide toolbars in regular view

- I'm using window mode often, but the toolbars (mostly tab-bar) cover 1/3 of the whole Avant window, so the browsing area is too small, this option would solve this problem

Add delay between closing tabs - to prevent accidental close

- needed when using mouse shortcut - right+middle button to close the current tab - without this option more than one tab is closed accidentally, sometimes

Orca - Can I use "check spelling" feature from new Thunde

[2/3ADDED] Mouse "gesture" to refresh tabs...

Thank you!
Dreamer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:08 pm

I found the (unofficial) USB version of Orca here, but -runextra comand line option doesn't work yet, so I can't open more than one instance of Orca, therefore I can't use it, it's the last option I need to switch to Orca.
Dreamer

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:19 pm

Dreamer wrote:but -runextra comand line option doesn't work yet
Multiple instances of Orca are currently not supported - we're all waiting for that!

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:17 am

Not sure if this is the right/best place for an Orca request, but here goes anyhow.

I really, really need Save as type: Web Archive, single file (*.mht) just as offered in Avant Browser (also available for Firefox, but only as an extension that's a little hard to find).

I think that Orca has enormous potential, since it has the terrific usability features of Avant but is not dependent on the proprietary IE rendering engine that we all seem to have a love/hate relationship with.

But without the ability to save a page in MHT format, my usage of Orca would be severely crippled since I save pages in this convenient non-messy single-file format many times per week.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:56 am

Dreamer wrote:I found the (unofficial) USB version of Orca here, but -runextra comand line option doesn't work yet, so I can't open more than one instance of Orca, therefore I can't use it, it's the last option I need to switch to Orca.
Just to ask the question, as I too need to run a very limited range of other software as a second instance...

If Orca is composed of most all of the Avant Browser features, and if Orca has true multi-tabbed structure...why does one absolutely HAVE to have second instance Orca ability?

Not from being nosy, moreso just curious.

Joe
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:26 am

Well I guess I can understand the desire for the ability to have a 2nd instance of Orca. You gain the ability of being able to see two fullsize websites at once given that you have a dual monitor setup. I guess you could do the same with scrunching two tabs together using "Tile Vertically" but like I said its not full screen. Plus if you have favorites open then it decreases the space even more.
-- Matt --

mrvirgo
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 build 15
IE Version: 7

Bookmark Icons

Post by mrvirgo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:39 am

I wish I could determine what icon I want to use for my Bookmarks and AutoFill. Firefox lets me change the icon if I don't like what loads up from the website.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:05 am

josephrot wrote:Just to ask the question, as I too need to run a very limited range of other software as a second instance...
If Orca is composed of most all of the Avant Browser features, and if Orca has true multi-tabbed structure...why does one absolutely HAVE to have second instance Orca ability? curious.
Joe
Well, Orca certainly IS a true multi-tab capable browser, with most of the same extremely handy features that makes Avant Browser so productive and popular. (The inability to save web pages in single-file MHT format is one of the few important Avant features that Orca lacks.)

Why would you want EITHER Avant or Orca to open in multiple instances (external windows), you're asking. One reason is that when you get too many tabs open in one window it's useful to open another window and then open multiple in the second (or later) external window. And this also helps you to save, in a single step, all of the tabbed pages in the second (or later) window in their own named group. And there are probably other advantages.
Tony Austin

Merel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE8
Skin: N/A

ADD-ON 's

Post by Merel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:41 am

What I certainly would appreciate is the integration of Addons which are made for IE.

When you go to Tools > AvantBrowser Options > Addons , there a tab named IE Plug-ins.

At the bottom of the window one can see a warning message announcing possible fatal errors occuring in the program (which is AB ... only , I hope).

However I was never able to use any of them, except Roboform.

Nothing happens in AB if I check useful Plug-ins like Norton Toolbar or HP Smart Select

Maybe one of you did succeed running those tools ?

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Re: ADD-ON 's

Post by notestracker » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Merel wrote:What I certainly would appreciate is the integration of Addons which are made for IE.
===== SNIP =====
Maybe one of you did succeed running those tools ?
Merel, You make a good point (and others have in the past). In my experience some of them work, some don't, and it's pretty much pot luck.

Possibly the "disaster warning" is a bit drastic. I'd reckon that if one of them played up it probably wouldn't do any damage to your system -- remember, I said probably -- and when you see that it's playing up you can deselect it. It would be wise to test each new one that you select, I guess.
Tony Austin

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:05 pm

hlndr wrote:I would like AutoFill to work more like RoboForm and not only fill in login info but forms as well. I'd also like to see Romanian to English in the Translation tool since I access several Romanian sites and need to have them translated.
Sorry, I've missed your message.
Please click [url=aba://mihopa.info/avant/rtet.aba]here[/url] and then just enable the Add-on Buttons bar under View>Toolbars.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:14 pm

josephrot wrote:...why does one absolutely HAVE to have second instance Orca ability?
I have too many tabs in each instance and I'm using option to save tabs on exit automatically, so I'm using different instances as groups, because I don't want to save (and remove) the groups manually. With several instances, I have the icons on destop and keyboard shortcuts for each instance and I can quickly open instance I need, when I close it, all tabs are saved automatically. I have one instance with no tabs to quickly find the information when I need (so I don't need to open another instance with 50 tabs opened and I don't have to use IE).

Another reason, I'm browsing in window often and I can open another instance, resize it and watch online TV while browsing.

There might be many other reasons for multiple instances, for example when browsing the private pages, or pages not for children, it's possible to hide that instance (folder), but still have all the tabs opened and ready in these instances. BTW I don't need it for the last reason, I don't have any children. :wink:

I'm using multiple instances mostly to have different types of sites in separate instances - I have one for the forums, one for the news, one for the guests (don't want to close my tabs accidentally) and one quick instance with no tabs opened (I'm using this instance also for online TV sometimes).

I think it's useful also if the users visit some sites every day, the other sites every week, they can use one instance for each group of sites/tabs.
Dreamer

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Dreamer...

RE: << I have too many tabs in each instance and I'm using option to save tabs on exit automatically, so I'm using different instances as groups, because I don't want to save (and remove) the groups manually. With several instances, I have the icons on destop and keyboard shortcuts for each instance and I can quickly open instance I need, when I close it, all tabs are saved automatically. >>>

Definitely this would be a good need or a good option to have in that particular need...

HOWEVER, one should be careful...not many browsers are well-coded enough that IF one has two instances loaded and in use, when you close one or both, the browser MAY only allow and record only ONE Tab save instance down to the HDD, thus wiping out the other Tab save instance's "save my tabs I am on" feature.

Another way of saying one instance might wipe the earlier one that is saved out, thus leaving us with only one saved instance, not two.

Joe
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Several items above this I said:
notestracker wrote:Not sure if this is the right/best place for an Orca request, but here goes anyhow.

I really, really need Save as type: Web Archive, single file (*.mht) just as offered in Avant Browser (also available for Firefox, but only as an extension that's a little hard to find).
For everybody's info, I decided to post this as an Orca topic, and Kudos kindly gave me the answer that I wanted to hear (that you already save a web page in single-file MHT format, by installing a Firefox add-on).

Here's the informative link:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 9&p=154535
Tony Austin

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:18 am

josephrot wrote:HOWEVER, one should be careful...not many browsers are well-coded enough that IF one has two instances loaded and in use, when you close one or both, the browser MAY only allow and record only ONE Tab save instance down to the HDD, thus wiping out the other Tab save instance's "save my tabs I am on" feature.

Another way of saying one instance might wipe the earlier one that is saved out, thus leaving us with only one saved instance, not two.

Joe
No no, by "another instance" you probably mean option File > New Avant Browser, then yes, you are right, but by more instances I mean another Avant/Orca folder(s), each with its own settings, favorites, opened tabs. To achieve this I need USB (portable) version of Orca (un-official version is available already) and one command line option -runextra to open another instance instead of just focusing the opend one.
Dreamer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
Skin: Monai XP

Re: An update to my dearest users -- bookmark icons

Post by mbrazil » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:39 am

I'd like to have the ability to choose icons for items in the Bookmarks sidebar and in the Bookmarks Bar. This would mean that there'd be an option for each bookmark (preferably in the right-click context menu) to replace the current icon (either the default icon or the icon dowloaded from the bookmarked site) with an icon you would choose by browsing your hard drive(s) or typing in a path and filename.

I'd also like to see an option to choose folder icons for folders in the Bookmarks sidebar. You could include a selection of folder icons to choose from and/or a way to browse your drives for folder icons. And in conjunction with this, it would be good to have the ability to save the icons downloaded from bookmarked sites and displayed in the sidebar to files on your hard drive.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
Skin: Monai XP

Re: An update to my dearest users -- toolbar autohide

Post by mbrazil » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 am

It would be nice to have an option to autohide whatever toolbar or menubar is positioned at the top of the window and to autohide the status bar. This would allow for more viewing area for web pages while still having the two bars readily available. I don't think it would make sense to autohide any other toolbars, since it would become awkward and difficult to determine where to place your cursor to get the bar you need.

Also, think about the possibility of having an autohide option for the sidebar.

pa1nkiller
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Avant Version: 2013 b23
IE Version: 11.0.9600.17501
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by pa1nkiller » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:05 pm

- Fix the problem where Avant freezes with flash/video content
- Reduce the amount of memory Avant takes up
- Quicken up the start time
- Better Ad Blocker
- Better Pop-up blocker (inc. fix where a pop under causes another program to appear in front of avant)
- Phishing filter
- Private Browsing Mode

alepla
Windows Version: Windows 10
Avant Version: Avant Browser 2017 build 10, 11.13.2017
Default engine: IE11 Standard
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by alepla » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:21 am

abfan123 wrote: This feature is available in the context menu. Just right click & go to Encoding & select the correct encoding.
May be I didn't express me clear :oops: Of course is the feature in the IE implemented and therefore also in Avant Browser! :D
What I mean is, that the Feature cannot be reached anymore through a button on the button bar. The button does not exists any more on the setup dialog of the button bar. With the button you can change the page code very quickly and comfortable, instead of laborious right klicking on the page, then go to Encoding and then selct the desired page code on the popup menu, or, when the page code you want is not listed in the three optios on the popup menu, then select "more..." and then select the right code on the long list. I mean that isn't practical... :think:

I think (and wish) therefore, it would be very useful for every user to implement the Feature again, whit which you can change the page code through a button on the button bar. :thumbup:

With my best Wishes :wave:

alepla

smaverick
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
Avant Version: 11.7
IE Version: 7.0

Post by smaverick » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:57 am

I am new user on Avant from Maxthon2.
In Maxthon2 its very useful feature is when i copy url from outside and paste to address bar right mouse button, appear menu "Paste and Go".
Thanks.