New Workstation

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

New Workstation

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:57 am

I went to one of the local computer stores here and talked to the tech about building a workstation (not desktop, a Workstation supercomputer). The computer case I'm going with has a top eSATA slot, so I can just insert an SSD with whatever OS I want and it will boot up from there. Saves all the hassles of having to do a dual boot VIA software. Gottaluvit!

The case also has six 3.5 Form Factor slots and four 2.5 Form Factor slots. I'm putting in an ASUS motherboard with extra PCIe and PCI slots for future add-ons. It has six 3.5 form factor slots and four 2.5 form factor slots. The CPU is going to be an Intel Core i7 running at 3.7 Ghz normal and 3.9 Ghz Turbo, and 8 GB of L3 cache. It'll have 16 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 7200 RPM 250 GB hard drive for backups, It will boot from a 250 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I'm having one of the top-dog ATI Radion GPU's populated with 1 gig of memory, a 600 watt power supply, and of course which is way more than Linux will ever need, but I don't have to worry about all the cache swapping with the extra RAM, plus I can install a RAM-Drive if I so choose. It should load up Linux in about 10 seconds or less. :))

I'm having it built without an OS. I think I've decided to load up Zorin OS, which is Ubuntu based. It has a bunch of GUI's that can mimic OSX, XP, Vista, Win 7 and I think 8, not that I would even consider Win 8 GUI (or lack of). And yes, it's going to be expensive, but it will be a top dog for a long time to come and should last me longer than this 2.8 Ghz computer that I built over 10 years ago. The only reason I'm building another is because this old computer can't handle the 6 GB/s throughput of my Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

Of course I have the option of running two different Windows emulators, Wine and one other that I can't remember. That'll be good for running all my old Windows games I bought through GOG.

Sooooo, good by Windows, Hello Linux!

TINMAN OUT!!!!!
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: 10
Skin: default

Re: New Workstation

Post by darth » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Roger.

Good luck Tinman with your project'

Keep us informed on how it is going.

Darth out.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:08 pm

darth wrote:Roger.

Good luck Tinman with your project'

Keep us informed on how it is going.

Darth out.
Once I get everything set up and configured the way I want it, I'll drop back by and let you know how I like it. But first I have to get educated on the different aspects of Linux/Zorin OS.....
((((TINMAN))))

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Well I'm back, but with updated news about my new WorkStation. I did some more research and wound up building an even better system. I ordered it early yesterday afternoon and should be getting it delivered next week. Here are the updated specs:

Order date: 10/29/13

1 x System: ASL Marquis C528-T WorkStation Supercomputer
Intel DX79TO ATX motherboard, X79 Express Chipset
Onboard Realtek 6-channel (5.1) High Definition audio
2xPCI-E x16 v3, 3xPCI-E x1, 1x32-bit/33Mhz PCI slots
Onboard Intel PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
2xUSB 3.0 ports, 6xUSB 2.0 ports, 1xIEEE-1394a port
1 x Intel Core i7-4820K (Ivy Bridge E) 3.7Ghz/3.9 Ghz Turbo, 10MB L3 cache, Socket 2011, 4-core - 8 thread, 22nm, 130W
16 GB Samsung DDR3-1600 RAM, unbuffered, non-ECC module
1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5003AZEX 500GB, 7200rpm, SATA 6Gbs, 64MB cache
ASUS DRW-24B1ST-BLK 24xDVD+-R,8xDVD+RW,6xDVD-RW,12xDVD+R DL,4x DVD-R DL,48xCDR,32xCDRW,48xCDROM,16xDVDROM,Serial ATA, 2MB, Black (bare drive)
ASUS GT630-2GD3 GeForce GT 630 (Fermi),PCI-E x16, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 1xDVI-I, 1xHDMI, 1xDB-15, Dual Head
Mid Tower Chassis (SR209), SAS enclosure (SAS6G/4 hotswap HD), 1x12cm, 1x9cm,600W ATX12V Power Supply (80 Plus), Active PFC, Black
Logitech MK550 Black USB RF Wireless Ergonomic Wave Keyboard/Wireless Optical Mouse Combo
Ubuntu 13.10 Core (64-bit), DVD, (support 3TB disk) / ZorinOS
3 Year Limited Warranty on parts and labor

The total system memory will be over 18 GB, over 28 GB with the L3 cache.

Then once I get it I'll be installing my Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB 6Gb/s SSD as the primary boot drive, and another dual layer DVD writer that I already have. It should boot up in about 12 seconds or less. Of course with all the extra drive bays and ports I can add plenty of more goodies if I so choose.

Another good thing is with the Hot-Swap SAS enclosure, I can just pop in whatever OS I want into the boot slot if I desire, instead of booting with a boot-choice option.

This should be the last computer that I will ever own. By the time it's obsolete I'll either be in an old folks home or dead. lol This 2.8 Ghz customized computer I'm on now cost over $4000 new, and it's lasted me over 10 years. The only reason I'm updating it is to support the 6 Gb/s throughput for my SATA III drive I bought.

So, here's to waiting.......
((((TINMAN))))

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by darth » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm

Wow, you got every thing lined up.

I may have missed it, cpu I guess is dual quad.?.

I wish you well with it.

ps: we need a moderator.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:27 am

darth wrote:Wow, you got every thing lined up.

I may have missed it, cpu I guess is dual quad.?.

I wish you well with it.

ps: we need a moderator.
Hey Darth. No, it's a Quad Core/8 Thread CPU. As for an update, it's gonna be a while. My doctor's scheduler contacted me exactly one week in advance of a surgery. So now I sit with 28 staples holding my guts together. The new computer is going to have to wait. :( Besides, with all the pain management drugs, I don't know if I'd want to mess with it now anyhow. lol
Sooooo, until I get healed up enough to get down on my hands and knees to swap computers out..... Now back to the comforts of my couch and big screen......
((((TINMAN))))

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by darth » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 pm

My brother, get well first. And let the PC come later.

Pain mangement here also.

Chemo, I've went the route.

Please let us know by PM/Post how your doing.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:54 am

darth wrote:My brother, get well first. And let the PC come later.

Pain mangement here also.

Chemo, I've went the route.

Please let us know by PM/Post how your doing.
Hey Darth, sorry I haven't been here in a while, it's not for a lack of trying. Several times I tried and this site was completely off line, another couple of times I tried and kept getting the "Can't get this page to load", or some such nonsense...

Anyhow, I'm using my new computer now, only been using it since 1 Jan, 14 after I recouped a little from the surgery. First thing after it booted up into Ubuntu, which took a whole 20 seconds to boot completely. Gawd, I love that. Oh, and the shutdown.....a little less than 5 seconds!!!!! Holy cow! Anyhow, soon as it booted up, it automatically updated all the installed software. Of course with Ubuntu there isn't any crapware to worry about. The updates didn't take long to accomplish and the next thing I know is I'm on a completely updated computer, OS, software and all! Got to love that too.
Without even looking at the Ubuntu documents that are built in, I started experimenting and found how things basically worked. It's a little bit of a learning curve, like I have to remember to put my mouse on the left side of the screen instead of the bottom to get the launch bar to show itself, I have it set to automatically hide just like in XP.
Basically, I didn't read not one word of the documentation and I set up my system and customized the launch bar. I even learned how to install/remove programs.
I don't know if it's just this super-fast Workstation, Linux, or the combination of both, but things are blazingly fast. I thought my 2.8 ghz XP system was fast. lol
Another thing I'm impressed with is the window management buttons at the top of the screen that's hidden until moused over. It's how you close, minimize, maximize or restore windows, and use all the functions of whatever application your focused on at the time. On the top right of the screen is the app menu and status menus where notifications are displayed and system settings are found and available no matter what window your on. There you can also do things like control the volume, check emails/Messaging menu, change language, check or change your network, a clock with calendar, and more. You can think of the app menu as the control panel on XP.
Then there's things like dragging a window to the bottom, side, or top to shrink/expand the window instead of clicking on the - or the little square.
There are just too many things to explain, you would have to look at the Ubuntu documentation which is available for download for free on their web site.

Another thing, I'm using Firefox for my browser. The Linux version runs much smoother and much faster than the Windows version. No RAM getting eaten up from memory leaks, no bogging down, no having to reload screens to get everything loaded, and I've got a ton of add-ons that don't break the browser like the Windows version. And yeah, I know the latest and greatest Firefox is supposed to have the memory leaks fixed, but tell that to XP.....

To wrap it up, I'm a happy puppy with Linux Ubuntu 13.10. Now I need to set down and start reading the more complex things of Ubuntu, not that I need to just to use the OS, but because I like knowing all the little secrets of OS's. Until then, I still use Ubuntu for everything and know all the basics to using it. It's just hard to believe that more people don't jump on the Linux bandwagon. I love Penguin power!
((((TINMAN))))

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by darth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Welcome back Tinman57. Glad to see you up and running again.

Had Ubantu 2-3 years ago. Ran it and Xp an same machine.

The good points you listed, I believe you. Ubantu surely boots fast

and turns off quickly. As you said it does have a little learning curve.

You got me interested in Ubantu again may try it again.

PS We have no moderator any more, The forums seem to be slipping.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:04 am

darth wrote:Welcome back Tinman57. Glad to see you up and running again.

Had Ubantu 2-3 years ago. Ran it and Xp an same machine.

The good points you listed, I believe you. Ubantu surely boots fast

and turns off quickly. As you said it does have a little learning curve.

You got me interested in Ubantu again may try it again.

PS We have no moderator any more, The forums seem to be slipping.
Get version 13.10 of Ubuntu, you'll be glad you did.

The forums have been slipping for a long time now, ever since the big down-hill changes were made to Avant. I see it's up to 2014 now, but have no idea of what was fixed or added. My suspicions are it's still broken compared to the 2012 versions. No big deal to me now since I've gone over to the Penguin, and Linux Firefox is really good. Of course I still miss the old versions of Avant, perhaps one day they'll get it right and expand into the Linux world, I'd give a Linux version a try. :)

Take care bud.....
((((TINMAN))))