Be careful where you click

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:38 pm

This isn't a new concept, but now Google's doing it.

"Be careful where you click to download software – Google's AdWords are becoming increasingly deceptive, tricking users into clicking ads that feature "Download" buttons!"

mathman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: 10 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2016 utimate latest
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Crystal (may vary)

Re: Be careful where you click

Post by mathman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 pm

CNET has a service to remind me when programs on my computer need updating. It also provides links so I can update using CNET as a cover. Unfortunately the cover starts with a set of other (unrelated) programs and asks if I want to download, with yes as a default. One particular program I inadvertently downloaded was something called "webcake", which is a vehicle for ads to popup on any page when opened. Fortunately I was able to get rid of it.

To emphasize your warning, say NO to every option you are given, except for the particular item you want, when downloading.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:07 am

mathman wrote:CNET has a service to remind me when programs on my computer need updating.
I think you're probably referring to CNET TechTracker. You might want to give Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) a try. It has the same purpose, is provided and maintained by a company that specializes in vulnerability management, and is free. It also doesn't try to trick you into downloading anything. Check it out at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/.

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:07 am

I had Secunia PSI for a while, but since they switched to a new version I found it useless. CNET sends me e-mail any time a new version of something appears, although sometimes a little late. Today I was notifed about new versions of Avant, Firefox, and Chrome, all of which were already updated within the past week.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:33 am

I hear you. I much preferred Secunia PSI 2.x to 3.x. After a few version 3.x releases, I got fed up and went back to 2.0 (it's actually 2.0.0.4003), and it's still working fine for me. It's available at http://secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe, if you're interested.

Counting Avant, at least four programs that I use daily and depend on have recently released new versions with drastically changed user interfaces, less features, new bugs, and no improvements.

I don't understand what these software developers think they're going to accomplish by making lots of unnecessary changes while ignoring the true purpose of the software and their loyal users. We should get them all together somewhere and set them straight!

I'm getting closer and closer every day to dumping Windows and Windows apps altogether and going to Linux. I was a big Microsoft booster at one time, but since everything's gone off in a weird direction, it no longer makes any sense to put up with all the crap associated with Windows and Windows apps.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:37 pm

mbrazil wrote:I hear you. I much preferred Secunia PSI 2.x to 3.x. After a few version 3.x releases, I got fed up and went back to 2.0 (it's actually 2.0.0.4003), and it's still working fine for me. It's available at http://secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe, if you're interested.

Counting Avant, at least four programs that I use daily and depend on have recently released new versions with drastically changed user interfaces, less features, new bugs, and no improvements.

I don't understand what these software developers think they're going to accomplish by making lots of unnecessary changes while ignoring the true purpose of the software and their loyal users. We should get them all together somewhere and set them straight!

I'm getting closer and closer every day to dumping Windows and Windows apps altogether and going to Linux. I was a big Microsoft booster at one time, but since everything's gone off in a weird direction, it no longer makes any sense to put up with all the crap associated with Windows and Windows apps.
So what was the big difference between PSI 2 and 3?

I'm getting geared up for the Linux jump myself. I was going to wait until the last minute when XP was abandoned, but I think I'll get my dual boot system set up sooner so I can have a little more time to experiment. Plus I'll have internet with XP in case I'm having a problem setting up something in Linux. Only thing to figure out now is which flavor of Linux I want to install. Decisions decisions decisions.....
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:02 pm

mbrazil wrote:I hear you. I much preferred Secunia PSI 2.x to 3.x. After a few version 3.x releases, I got fed up and went back to 2.0 (it's actually 2.0.0.4003), and it's still working fine for me. It's available at http://secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe, if you're interested.

I took your advice. 2.0 helped me clean up a lot of junk as well as some updates. Thanks.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Tinman57 wrote:So what was the big difference between PSI 2 and 3?
This is going to sound familiar. They drastically changed the UI, took out some of the features, and added some new bugs.
Tinman57 wrote:Only thing to figure out now is which flavor of Linux I want to install. Decisions decisions decisions.....
I'm leaning strongly towards Mint. Aside from technical and UI concerns (from what I've been able to learn so far, I have no problems with it in this respect), it's very popular, which means it probably has the most users, so it should be easier to find information, instructions, help, etc.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm

mbrazil wrote:
Tinman57 wrote:So what was the big difference between PSI 2 and 3?
This is going to sound familiar. They drastically changed the UI, took out some of the features, and added some new bugs.
Tinman57 wrote:Only thing to figure out now is which flavor of Linux I want to install. Decisions decisions decisions.....
I'm leaning strongly towards Mint. Aside from technical and UI concerns (from what I've been able to learn so far, I have no problems with it in this respect), it's very popular, which means it probably has the most users, so it should be easier to find information, instructions, help, etc.
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Mint. I just jumped on the bandwagon and bought the Samsung 840 Pro 256Mb SSD, which is supposed to be the baddest on the market right now according to the reviews and stats. The thing that sent me over the edge to buying one is their 5 year warranty. It also comes with software for dummies that will make the transition pretty much automatically. They say it'll boot up your system in 15 seconds! Man, that's quick. It'll be here on the 30th or earlier and once I get it installed and everything working right I may go ahead and order the Mint DVD, but I've got a few more comparisons to do yet.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

Climhazard
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Lite x64
Avant Version: 2012 Build 197
Default engine: Gecko
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by Climhazard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Tinman57 wrote: I've been hearing a lot of good things about Mint. It'll be here on the 30th or earlier and once I get it installed and everything working right I may go ahead and order the Mint DVD, but I've got a few more comparisons to do yet.
After seeing what disappointment windows has become starting from XP i was trying to transfer completely to linux. I've also seen Mint as one of the best choices, but the only thing that kept me from using it was software support, and that it was actually slower than XP lite. As we know, Microsoft is trying its best to sabotage linux in every way possible. I've also seen games, gpu and wlan drivers compatibility support is not good. If you do install it and use it for everyday activities, please tell your opinion about software and driver support it has.
Tinman57 wrote: I just jumped on the bandwagon and bought the Samsung 840 Pro 256Mb SSD, which is supposed to be the baddest on the market right now according to the reviews and stats. The thing that sent me over the edge to buying one is their 5 year warranty. It also comes with software for dummies that will make the transition pretty much automatically. They say it'll boot up your system in 15 seconds! Man, that's quick.
Its one of the best SSDs you could buy, if your MB support SATA III, you will have about 500MB/s read/write speed which i imagine will feel like you have just bought a new PC :D
And it will boot your OS much faster than 15 sec. An old WD HDD now boots my XP Lite in 10 seconds. Windows 7 on same drive about 25 sec, Windows 8 in 15 sec. I also tried Ubuntu 12.10 long time ago, but it was a lot slower than XP. Once you set that SSD up and running i expect you will get in OS in about 5 sec on normal XP (if your not using your own lite). Mint should be fast like XP (was little slower from my tests). Setting up SSD for best performance/durability requires some tweaking, here's some article i bookmarked a few months ago, tho i have no experience with SSDs myself, im slowly gathering info as im also going to buy it when they become cheaper. This might help you getting started:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-200 ... ate-drive/

As for the download links, if you have addons like adblock/noscript you wont even see those ad buttons and wherever you click wont make a difference since code cannot run, but you still need to pay attention not to download via those adware downloaders like for example cnet or brothersoft has.