HAVE YOU BEEN HACKED

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

HAVE YOU BEEN HACKED

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Following a string of revelations from several media companies who announced they had been recently hacked, Twitter came forward this past week to say it had also been the target of a sophisticated attack. Anonymous hackers breached the social network and may have gained access to passwords and other information for as many as 250,000 user accounts. Twitter said in a blog post that the passwords were encrypted and that it had already reset them as a "precautionary measure," and that it had notified affected users.

Password hacking and identity theft has become an all too frequent headline in today's world of online communities. While Twitter scrambles to amend its breach, the site can take solace in the knowledge that it's not the only popular web service to have been compromised. This is a copy and paste from the news. :?: POSTSCRIPT almost all of the social networks were hacked. :twisted:

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Re: HAVE YOU BEEN HACKED

Post by Sara » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 pm

I knew those sites were trouble! I don't twitter. I belong to facebook only because a couple of support Forums moved there. It's been disappointing. Too much off-topic BS and ads that Ad-Muncher can't eat. I'll probably give up and try to find help elsewhere.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:33 am

I don't have a Twitter account, and I don't want one. Twitter is for twits. I do have a Facebook account, which I use sparingly. It's far too easy to waste way too much time on Facebook, so I stay away from it except for an hour or so once or twice a week. Even that's more than I want to devote to it.

Any site on the web that's popular is a risk for identity theft if your account info includes personal information. The best policy is to avoid providing personal data in profiles, etc.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 am

I stay away from Twitter and all of the social sites. Nothing but information gathering for marketers and the government. Even so, there are other ways for the hackers to get you. Just yesterday I got an email asking me to fill out a questionnaire for my ISP to help them better serve their customers. I checked all the links and it all seemed to be on the up and up, though it did to go an independent polling site. I clicked the link to fill out the questionnaire and the VERY FIRST QUESTION was "What is your birthday". I closed the page at that point. Why in the world would any questionnaire with the purpose of providing better services need to know your birthday? They don't is the correct answer. Perhaps "what is your age", that's one thing, but your actual birthdate is just way too nosy (and phishy) to me.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:15 am

Like what you did regarding that ISP questionnaire, the best tool to use to avoid having your identity stolen is between your ears. If you stay alert and question everything, you'll avoid most of the traps. Most attempts to obtain personal information have a social-engineering component, without which they most often won't work.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Ya me too no twitter no facebook no nothing it seems nothing is safe anymore and especialy most things new seem to be scams.Get this these people keep calling me saying they are windows service center and they try to tell me there windows server tells them i have been hacked and they want to fix it.Windows doesnot call people i always hang up before they tell me what they want.What they want is remote access to my computer can you believe that. It is in the news paper that this is a current on going investagation.Do not give them any of your information.I know i am not hacked .Then you can tell thier going right down the phone book they call my dad all his brothers .Half of them don't even have a computer. There opening line is .Hello i would like to to talk to the person who uses a computer.They don't even know if you have a computer as i said they called my dads house and said what i said there opening line is and he has never had a computer in his life [-X [-X