DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

User avatar
AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 am
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by AXEMAN » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:32 am

IRAN wants it's own internet for just thier public only and a separate one for thier milatary effectivly cutting them selfs off from the rest of the world.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by mbrazil » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:36 pm

AXEMAN wrote:IRAN wants it's own internet for just thier public only and a separate one for thier milatary effectivly cutting them selfs off from the rest of the world.
Not at all surprising. I feel bad for the people of Iran considering how they're treated by their tyrannical, insane, religious government. The world would be so much better off if there were no religions.

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by Tinman57 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:12 pm

mbrazil wrote:The world would be so much better off if there were no religions.
Seriously? Religion is what brought about morals, like "Thoust shall not kill" and "Treat others as you would want to be treated". I would hate to see a world devout of religion, it would be like one of those post Apocalypse movies.

It's not religion that has created evil in the world, religion is all about stopping the evil (Satanism excluded). It's man's wickedness that uses religion as a tool to enslave and/or harm others. Without the devoted, righteous actions of religious people, this world would not be worth living in unless you were an evil, powerful person......
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by mbrazil » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:20 am

The histories of the major religions are all filled with violence and death inflicted on others because their beliefs were different. It still goes on today. 9/11 was the result of religious disagreement. Pro-life christians kill people in clinics in the name of their beliefs. Learn or refresh your knowledge of history. Most wars were fought at least partially because of religious differences. Religions have been the root cause of more misery and death than any other aspect of "civilization."

Morality does not come from religion, and most people only follow the rules that they agree with.


"If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be - a Christian."
Mark Twain

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
Albert Einstein

"Where knowledge ends, religion begins."
Benjamin Disraeli

"The most ridiculous concept ever perpetrated by Homo Sapiens is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of his creations, that he can be persuaded by their prayers, and becomes petulant if he does not receive this flattery. Yet this ridiculous notion, without one real shred of evidence to bolster it, has gone on to found one of the oldest, largest and least productive industries in history."
Robert Heinlein

"**** is an outrage on humanity. When you tell me that your deity made you in his image, I reply that he must have been very ugly."
Victor Hugo

"Take from the church the miraculous, the supernatural, the incomprehensible, the unreasonable, the impossible, the unknowable, the absurd, and nothing but a vacuum remains."
Robert G. Ingersoll

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration - courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and, above all, love of the truth."
Henry Mencken

"Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense."
Francois Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."
Napoleon Bonaparte

"Good people can do good and bad people can do evil. But for good people to do evil -- that takes religion."
Steven Weinberg

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition [Christianity] one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies."
Thomas Jefferson

"Religion . . . comprises a system of wishful illusions together with a disavowal of reality, such as we find in an isolated form nowhere else but in amentia, in a state of blissful hallucinatory confusion."
Sigmund Freud

"Religious creeds encourage some of the craziest kinds of thoughts, emotions, and behaviors and favor severe manifestations of neurosis, borderline personality states, and sometimes even psychosis."
Albert Ellis

"I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind."
H. L. Mencken

"Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion – several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn’t straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother’s path to happiness and heaven."
Mark Twain

"The great religious ages were notable for their indifference to human rights... not only for acquiescence in poverty, inequality, exploitation and oppression, but also for enthusiastic justifications for slavery, persecution, abandonment of small children, torture, and genocide... Moreover, religion enshrined hierarchy, authority, and inequality... It was the age of equality that brought about the disappearance of such religious appurtenances as the auto-da-fe and burning at the stake."
Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages."
Ruth Hurmence Green

"Not material or economic conditions in the ordinary sense, but perverse religious ideas explain the suspension of civilization in Europe from the 5th to the 12th century, and in the Mohammedan world after the 15th century."
Joseph McCabe

"The most heinous and the most cruel crimes of which history has record have been committed under the cover of religion or equally noble motives."
Mohandas Gandhi

"[M]ore wars have been waged, more people killed, and more evil perpetrated in the name of religion than by any other institutional force in human history. The sad truth continues in our present day."
Charles Kimball

"Religion is the brainchild of fear, and fear is the parent of cruelty. The greatest evils inflicted on humankind are perpetrated not by pleasure-seekers, self-seeking opportunists, or those who are merely amoral, but by fervent devotees of religion."
Emmanuel Kofi Mensah

"As editor of the largest newspaper in West Virginia, I scan hundreds of reports daily . . . and I am amazed by the frequency with which religion causes people to kill each other. It is a nearly universal pattern, undercutting the common assumption that religion makes people kind and tolerant."
James Haught

"The man who is always worrying about whether or not his soul would be damned generally has a soul that isn’t worth a damn."
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

"The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum."
Havelock Ellis

User avatar
AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 am
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by AXEMAN » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Thats right "Religion is the only thing well christians and the ROMANS that say when you DIE if you were good you go to heaven if not you go to ****.This is so we can except death we ae are just telling our selves that death is not the end but infact the begining.IT is like the death sentence it is suppose to make us all sheep .And i saw this just last night documents siezed at osma's place said they were suppose to hate islam not me it was suppose to be east ver the west that is what 9 11 was suppose to make happen.However put any Religion in the hands of mad men with real power they will twist it to there will. AXE SEPTEMBER 22 2012.

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by Tinman57 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:48 am

mbrazil wrote:The histories of the major religions are all filled with violence and death inflicted on others because their beliefs were different. It still goes on today. 9/11 was the result of religious disagreement. Pro-life christians kill people in clinics in the name of their beliefs. Learn or refresh your knowledge of history. Most wars were fought at least partially because of religious differences. Religions have been the root cause of more misery and death than any other aspect of "civilization."
That's where your wrong, religion DID bring about moral values. The evilness of the ones using religion as a tool for harming others all throughout history IS NOT a reflection of the religion, it's just the reflection of the evil do'ers themselves. If you had of ever read the testaments instead of reading anti-religious quotes you would understood that. I could type in a bazillion quotes to make the point, but I know that it wouldn't matter since your obviously an atheist and it would just fall on deaf ears. I learned a long time ago that arguing about religion and politics is fruitless. I'm just happy that I won't be standing in your shoes come judgement day...... Nuff said.....
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by mbrazil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:24 am

Tinman57 wrote:hat's where your wrong, religion DID bring about moral values. The evilness of the ones using religion as a tool for harming others all throughout history IS NOT a reflection of the religion, it's just the reflection of the evil do'ers themselves. If you had of ever read the testaments instead of reading anti-religious quotes you would understood that. I could type in a bazillion quotes to make the point, but I know that it wouldn't matter since your obviously an atheist and it would just fall on deaf ears. I learned a long time ago that arguing about religion and politics is fruitless. I'm just happy that I won't be standing in your shoes come judgement day...... Nuff said.....
So, are you saying that human beings are incapable of determining right from wrong by themselves (with no god to tell us)?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by mbrazil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:46 am

Humanity’s closest living relatives are common chimpanzees and bonobos. These primates are known to share a common ancestor with humans who lived four to six million years ago. It is for this reason that chimpanzees and bonobos are viewed as the best available surrogate for this common ancestor. Barbara King argues that while primates may not possess morality in the human sense, they do exhibit some traits that would have been necessary for the evolution of morality. These traits include high intelligence, a capacity for symbolic communication, a sense of social norms, realization of "self", and a concept of continuity. Frans de Waal and Barbara King both view human morality as having grown out of primate sociality. Many social animals such as primates, dolphins and whales have shown to exhibit what Michael Shermer refers to as premoral sentiments. According to Shermer, the following characteristics are shared by humans and other social animals, particularly the great apes:

attachment and bonding, cooperation and mutual aid, sympathy and empathy, direct and indirect reciprocity, altruism and reciprocal altruism, conflict resolution and peacemaking, deception and deception detection, community concern and caring about what others think about you, and awareness of and response to the social rules of the group.

Shermer argues that these premoral sentiments evolved in primate societies as a method of restraining individual selfishness and building more cooperative groups. For any social species, the benefits of being part of an altruistic group should outweigh the benefits of individualism. For example, lack of group cohesion could make individuals more vulnerable to attack from outsiders. Being part of group may also improve the chances of finding food.

Psychologist Matt J. Rossano argues that religion emerged after morality and built upon morality by expanding the social scrutiny of individual behavior to include supernatural agents. By including ever watchful ancestors, spirits and gods in the social realm, humans discovered an effective strategy for restraining selfishness and building more cooperative groups. The adaptive value of religion would have enhanced group survival

User avatar
AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 am
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:00 pm

It's all very intresting the entire thread this far. :thumbup:

User avatar
AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 am
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by AXEMAN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:28 am

Hey everyone the word GOOD take out one O and it is = GOD take the word DEVIL remove the D you now have EVIL :think:

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by mbrazil » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 pm

AXEMAN wrote:Hey everyone the word GOOD take out one O and it is = GOD take the word DEVIL remove the D you now have EVIL :think:
And there you have the reverse of the manner in which these words were invented. Rather than taking out a letter, one was added in. Humans are very inventive creatures. They even invented religion as a tool to control people's thoughts and behavior.

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by Tinman57 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 pm

mbrazil wrote:
AXEMAN wrote:Hey everyone the word GOOD take out one O and it is = GOD take the word DEVIL remove the D you now have EVIL :think:
And there you have the reverse of the manner in which these words were invented. Rather than taking out a letter, one was added in. Humans are very inventive creatures. They even invented religion as a tool to control people's thoughts and behavior.
If that remark wasn't so sad it would actually be comical. Instead of attacking peoples belief system with your anti-god atheist quotes, why don't you use your time for something more constructive that perhaps you may excel in, if that's even possible?
You talk about people that believe in god being controlled and not having their own thoughts, but yet so far all you've done is quote a bunch of atheist thoughts on the subject. Perhaps it is you that should be wearing a tin hat, or at least stop reading trash. You can try reading (and understanding) the testaments and then formulate your own thoughts.
No one is forcing you to believe, and all the Christians/Muslims/Jews/Buddhist/etc aren't on this board telling you what a fool you are for being an atheist, so why not react in-kind?
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by mbrazil » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:14 am

Tinman57 wrote:If that remark wasn't so sad it would actually be comical. Instead of attacking peoples belief system with your anti-god atheist quotes, why don't you use your time for something more constructive that perhaps you may excel in, if that's even possible?
You talk about people that believe in god being controlled and not having their own thoughts, but yet so far all you've done is quote a bunch of atheist thoughts on the subject. Perhaps it is you that should be wearing a tin hat, or at least stop reading trash. You can try reading (and understanding) the testaments and then formulate your own thoughts.
No one is forcing you to believe, and all the Christians/Muslims/Jews/Buddhist/etc aren't on this board telling you what a fool you are for being an atheist, so why not react in-kind?
The only attack that has occured in this thread is you attacking and attempting to insult me and denigrating the thoughts and opinions (calling them "trash") of some of the greatest minds that have ever existed. I have not attacked or even mentioned anyone's specific belief system, but you have attacked what you assume to be mine several times.

You make many assumptions with nothing to back them up. If you understood what an atheist is or even thought about what the word means, you'd never say something stupid like calling them anti-god. Those who do not believe that a god exists, by definition, cannot be against god. When children grow up and realize that the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny do not exist, are they then against the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny, or do they just cease believing in these imaginary beings? If you don't believe in the actual physical existence of Darth Vader, Superman, Spider Man, etc., does that mean you're against these imaginary characters?

Since I'm now retired, having had a long and productive career, I use my time for whatever I want, and I excel at many things. Expressing an alternate view on any important issue is very constructive, while accepting whatever you're told and repeating it without verification is not in any way constructive.

I posted those quotes because I knew from experience that when discussing issues with religious zealots, your own thoughts and opinions mean little or nothing to them, but sometimes the thoughts of great men carry some weight. Do you really think that your thoughts and personal opinions are more valid than those of Mark Twain, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Disraeli, Victor Hugo, Henry Mencken, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Jefferson, and the rest? If you'd rather I didn't post any quotes, I'll just post my own thoughts and opinions. They're no less valid or valuable than yours.

Your comment about formulating my own thoughts is interesting and telling, in that every religious person I've ever discussed issues with has replied mostly by quoting scriptures or parroting the things they hear in church. How is that in any way an example of original thoughts? I would say to you, put aside all the religious memes you've been indoctrinated with from birth before you accuse me of not having original thoughts. The reason I'm aware of those quotes from other humanists is that my own thoughts have stimulated my interest in history, religion, and various other topics. In researching these things, I've come across many interesting quotations in many types of literature. You, on the other hand, seem to base your thoughts only on one book of questionable origin. Have you ever even tried to expand your horizons such that your thoughts are not bound by the beliefs of others?

As far as reading "the testaments," I've actually read and studied the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Torah, and the Koran. Experiencing the contradictions, violence, misogyny, and other various types of cruel and repugnant behavior in each of these has only reinforced my reliance on science and secular society and has convinced me even more that my perceptions of reality are accurate. I have always formulated my own thoughts. Where do you get yours?

I never said anyone was forcing me to believe anything. Why would I say that, since it would be impossible. As far as who's the fool, I and every non-theist I know has arrived at their non-belief based on a great deal of careful thought and research. Theists, on the other hand, mostly arrive at their belief system based on immersion in a belief system almost from birth. This is otherwise known as indoctrination or brain-washing. How can you have an original thought if you've always been told what to think?

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 3118
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:10 am
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7
Location: Beijing China

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by Jasmine » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:47 am

Tinman57 wrote:
mbrazil wrote:The world would be so much better off if there were no religions.
Seriously? Religion is what brought about morals, like "Thoust shall not kill" and "Treat others as you would want to be treated". I would hate to see a world devout of religion, it would be like one of those post Apocalypse movies.

It's not religion that has created evil in the world, religion is all about stopping the evil (Satanism excluded). It's man's wickedness that uses religion as a tool to enslave and/or harm others. Without the devoted, righteous actions of religious people, this world would not be worth living in unless you were an evil, powerful person......
Wow, you begin to discuss politics and religion. Disputes on different thoughts are ubiquitous :clap: .

Turst me, I definately have the right to say that some persons become villains due to lack of religious belief. I'm discreet of talking about this topic, fortunately, boxilai is already a public object that can be critisized so that I can say people like him becoming devils result from the deficiency of religious belief. Personally, I hope more people have religious belief which lets us know that helping others and persuing the truth will make us happy. However, the religion tends to be made use of by some with political purpose for realizing their ambition, while others may only emphsize and foster parts of religious thoughts which they believe are helpful for them. Thousands years of history of China proves that ignoring Buddhism is for the purpose of better domination. Today, it's still ignored as it tells if one refuses to do the right thing and to be kind of others, he will go to the **** after his death. Will those morally corrupted support and popularize this religion contradicting their behaviors? In my opinion,that's those with despicable souls and supreme power make use of everything that they can think of to make their power and fortune long-life.

Xiaobing and I will be absent for the next 8 days due to Chinese National Day. See you later :wave: .
Image
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com
Skype: JasmineThunder

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by mbrazil » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:06 am

Jasmine wrote: Wow, you begin to discuss politics and religion. Disputes on different thoughts are ubiquitous :clap: .

Turst me, I definately have the right to say that some persons become villains due to lack of religious belief. I'm discreet of talking about this topic, fortunately, boxilai is already a public object that can be critisized so that I can say people like him becoming devils result from the deficiency of religious belief. Personally, I hope more people have religious belief which lets us know that helping others and persuing the truth will make us happy. However, the religion tends to be made use of by some with political purpose for realizing their ambition, while others may only emphsize and foster parts of religious thoughts which they believe are helpful for them. Thousands years of history of China proves that ignoring Buddhism is for the purpose of better domination. Today, it's still ignored as it tells if one refuses to do the right thing and to be kind of others, he will go to the **** after his death. Will those morally corrupted support and popularize this religion contradicting their behaviors? In my opinion,that's those with despicable souls and supreme power make use of everything that they can think of to make their power and fortune long-life.

Xiaobing and I will be absent for the next 8 days due to Chinese National Day. See you later :wave: .
I cannot speak for China, but in the USA, crime is much more prevalent amongst religious persons than amongst atheists. The data below shows this somewhat indirectly in that the statistics show the percent of the US prison population by religion. Note that the major religions (Christians, Muslims, and Jews) comprise approximately 85% of the US prison population, while atheists comprise only 0.209%. The percentage of atheists in the total US population is approximately 15%. So, the 85% of the US population that is religious is responsible for 99.8% of criminal behavior in the US, and the 15% that are atheists are responsible for the remaining 0.2%.

This is not surprising, especially given the results of scientific studies I posted earlier in this thread. These studies provide a lot of very convincing evidence showing that morality is inherent in humans and other species. Atheists are not coerced into accepting an outside concept of morality. Without religious indoctrination, we are aware of our innate sense of right and wrong, while religious persons are taught their particular religion's version of morality and are frequently reminded of that religion's severe penalties for violating these rules of morality. When one has someone else's concept or morality forced on them under penalty of punishment, they are more likely to rebel against the authority of the church, and since much of our innate sense of morality is similar to the basic precepts of religious morality (with some exceptions), this rebellion overrides all aspects of morality in those individuals. Atheists, on the other hand, are answerable only to the laws of the jurisdictions in which we are located and to ourselves and our fellow citizens. We have no urge to rebel, since our morality comes from within rather than from an outside agency.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons reports these statistics on the religious affiliations of inmates:

Response Number %
---------------------------- --------
Catholic 29267 39.164%
Protestant 26162 35.008%
Muslim 5435 7.273%
American Indian 2408 3.222%
Nation 1734 2.320%
Rasta 1485 1.987%
Jewish 1325 1.773%
Church of Christ 1303 1.744%
Pentecostal 1093 1.463%
Moorish 1066 1.426%
Buddhist 882 1.180%
Jehovah Witness 665 0.890%
Adventist 621 0.831%
Orthodox 375 0.502%
Mormon 298 0.399%
Scientology 190 0.254%
Atheist 156 0.209%
Hindu 119 0.159%
Santeria 117 0.157%
Sikh 14 0.019%
Bahai 9 0.012%
Krishna 7 0.009%
---------------------------- --------
Total Known Responses 74731 100.001% (rounding to 3 digits does this)

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Jasmine wrote:
Tinman57 wrote:
mbrazil wrote:The world would be so much better off if there were no religions.
Seriously? Religion is what brought about morals, like "Thoust shall not kill" and "Treat others as you would want to be treated". I would hate to see a world devout of religion, it would be like one of those post Apocalypse movies.

It's not religion that has created evil in the world, religion is all about stopping the evil (Satanism excluded). It's man's wickedness that uses religion as a tool to enslave and/or harm others. Without the devoted, righteous actions of religious people, this world would not be worth living in unless you were an evil, powerful person......
Wow, you begin to discuss politics and religion. Disputes on different thoughts are ubiquitous :clap: .

Turst me, I definately have the right to say that some persons become villains due to lack of religious belief. I'm discreet of talking about this topic, fortunately, boxilai is already a public object that can be critisized so that I can say people like him becoming devils result from the deficiency of religious belief. Personally, I hope more people have religious belief which lets us know that helping others and persuing the truth will make us happy. However, the religion tends to be made use of by some with political purpose for realizing their ambition, while others may only emphsize and foster parts of religious thoughts which they believe are helpful for them. Thousands years of history of China proves that ignoring Buddhism is for the purpose of better domination. Today, it's still ignored as it tells if one refuses to do the right thing and to be kind of others, he will go to the **** after his death. Will those morally corrupted support and popularize this religion contradicting their behaviors? In my opinion,that's those with despicable souls and supreme power make use of everything that they can think of to make their power and fortune long-life.

Xiaobing and I will be absent for the next 8 days due to Chinese National Day. See you later :wave: .
Exactly, Jasmine.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:51 pm

mbrazil wrote: Much crap deleted for brevity
Gosh, I forgot who I was talking to, what was I thinking? Someone could say "sugar is sweet" and you would reply with a wiki-like response that it's not really sweet it's just how your taste-buds perceive it. I used to be a Correctional Officer and can tell you those poll numbers you posted don't mean what you attempted to show, in fact, are the opposite of what your claiming. First of all, the majority of those polled that claimed to be of one religion or another, didn't even believe in god BEFORE they went to prison. Then there's another percentage that claim a certain religion just to get some of the religious benefits.
Yes, these are cons your talking about. A very large percentage claim to be Muslim when it comes time for Ramadan, because they get to stuff themselves for X number of days on food not ordinarily served in prisons. When Ramadan is over, miraculously they convert to Christianity just in time for those Christmas dinners and presents delivered from outside sources. And then there's the so-called Christians that like to attend church so they can traffic and trade in illegal activities, and there's some that go to church so they can see their lovers and provide them with some "relief", which is the nicest way I can put it. This is why they post Officers in the church during services.
That's not to say there aren't some that are actually religious in the prison system, but they are few and far in-between, so your "numbers" just don't add up.....
I'm not going to drag this on, I know you just have to have the last word, so go ahead and post it and get it over with....
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by mbrazil » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:01 am

All I'm going to say is this: in every single post you've made in this thread, all you've really said is that I'm wrong because you think you know better, but you've never once cited anything to substantiate your opinions. I've had discussions like this with a lot of people who lash out like you do and make derogatory personal comments rather than having a civil debate. You denigrate anyone and everyone that disagrees with you, even people who are or were much smarter and better educated than the two of us put together. Your arguments are like those of a 10-year old on the playground. All you've said is, "You're wrong because..." but there's never anything to the "because." No facts, no data, no citations -- nothing. Just, "You're wrong because I'm right." That might work with others who don't know how to think for themselves, but it doesn't work with me. Reason always triumphs over dogma. I pity you.

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:14 am

mbrazil wrote:All I'm going to say is this: in every single post you've made in this thread, all you've really said is that I'm wrong because you think you know better, but you've never once cited anything to substantiate your opinions. I've had discussions like this with a lot of people who lash out like you do and make derogatory personal comments rather than having a civil debate. You denigrate anyone and everyone that disagrees with you, even people who are or were much smarter and better educated than the two of us put together. Your arguments are like those of a 10-year old on the playground. All you've said is, "You're wrong because..." but there's never anything to the "because." No facts, no data, no citations -- nothing. Just, "You're wrong because I'm right." That might work with others who don't know how to think for themselves, but it doesn't work with me. Reason always triumphs over dogma. I pity you.
Funny how the majority of your post are nothing but quotes from your favorite atheist, and then go on to say what great minds they are even though you (or they) don't offer any proof or data, just opinions. The only data I see you post is some polls taken by the gov't which can mean just about anything depending on how you calculate the polls, and most folks know exactly how polls work. You can make them point one way or another depending on how the questions are asked and tabulated. Then you ask questions in your replies that were already answered previously, so your either trying to drag something on, make it look like you have some kind of good point, or your memory is just failing you. Gosh, too many forums to keep up with nightly?
Now things didn't go your way, I've done whizzed in your Wheaties and now your playing the school-yard kiddy card. You don't remind me of a 10 year old at all. In fact, that would be much better than what you remind me of, a disgruntled, sad old retired fool with nothing better to do than replying to others post with the obvious or a blurb from the same linked story just to get your post numbers up and have something to say.
It takes a weak and demented mind to lambaste peoples belief system. And it takes an even weaker mind to say that religion is the root of all evil. But I don't pity you, I think Karma is playing it's role.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

User avatar
AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 am
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS

Post by AXEMAN » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 am

Come on guys and more people to. These are just opinions and there very intresting indeed.I also noticed that every hospital i have been to and thats quite a few they all have a room that looks like a mini church i wonder has anyone seen some sort of minister around if you have ever been in hospital. :?: :?:

Post Reply