Pay as you go

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: 10
Skin: default

Pay as you go

Post by darth » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 am

Microsoft has filed a patent for metering hardware capabilites. Users would be charged for the software they run and the computing horsepower they use. See http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... rc=hm_list.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Re: Pay as you go

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:11 pm

Blogged! ...... cheers for the heads up dude :)

http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2008/12/hav ... -plot.html

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:16 am

I've just read the article and not the patent page, And I can't seem to find any reason why would Microsoft use such technology for standard users. I guess they understand that they're going to lose at least 90% of their users if they're going to do such thing, Simply because nobody would agree to pay for the amount of CPU and memory that is used by the programs.
Though such technology can be implmented in the shared hosting industry: Most web hosting companies are limiting their users not just by space and bandwidth, But also by the CPU & memory usage.
So the user may choose to pay for the additional RAM & CPU usage instead of getting his/her account suspended when some script is going beyond limits.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181

Post by statm1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:09 pm

Well, when I read the article it didn't really alarm me because OEMs aren't going to just stop making computers that you can outright buy. Its just another way of selling a computer. The first thing that came to mind is the analogy of renting an appartment vs. buying a house. You will always pay your rent it never stops, your electric and water, etc is metered. Its like anything else in the market if no one pays for it then it won't be profitable and they will stop providing it. But as also in the market there is always going to be someone who pays for anything that is out there. It then all depends on how many idiots there are in the world that would pay rent on the usage of their computer.

All I say is.. its just another business model.
-- Matt --

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:36 pm

But who's going to pay for the CPU and memory usage on their own computers? That's just stupid.
They already pay for the electricity consumed by the computer (With the current power saving technology on most Intel's & AMD's CPUs which is on by default, The CPU consumes less electricity if it's not using it's full power)
I see absolutely no reason nor advantage of paying additional fee for CPU & Memory consumption on my own computer, So I strongly doubt that Microsoft will ever use such model for standard users.
Main PC:

statm1

Post by statm1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:03 pm

Well, I didn't see it say that MS would be charging existing users? Or did I miss something? And Im also assuming that MS would apply this model on computers that have been considerably discounted. Kinda like cellphones where you get a free or discounted phone with your plan. And that would mean that they could do the pay-per-use model since its so cheap to get the computer in the first place.

Update: A better article: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1783
-- Matt --

Noyb
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro - up to date
Avant Version: 11.7 B23
IE Version: I.E. 7

Post by Noyb » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:02 am

statm1 wrote:Well, when I read the article it didn't really alarm me because OEMs aren't going to just stop making computers that you can outright buy. Its just another way of selling a computer. The first thing that came to mind is the analogy of renting an appartment vs. buying a house. You will always pay your rent it never stops, your electric and water, etc is metered. Its like anything else in the market if no one pays for it then it won't be profitable and they will stop providing it. But as also in the market there is always going to be someone who pays for anything that is out there. It then all depends on how many idiots there are in the world that would pay rent on the usage of their computer.

All I say is.. its just another business model.
I sure hope that's the case. :shifty:
Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz processor, Intel Pentium 4 Duo-core 3 GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP Home, Pro - Service Pack 3
Avant Browser 11.7 Build 23
Internet Explorer 7
AVG Antivirus Free Edition 8.0
Windows Firewall

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Pay as you go computing

Post by kudos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Microsoft specs out 'pay as you go' PC scheme
Files patent for metering hardware capabilities but admits overall cost 'may be higher'

Microsoft Corp. last week applied for a patent that spells out a "pay as you go" concept under which users would be charged for both the software they run and the computing horsepower they use.

According to the patent application filed last week with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the "Metered Pay-As-You-Go Computing Experience" scheme would meter software use and access to specific computer hardware. Fees would be charged against a prepaid or billed account.

"The current business model for computer hardware and software relies on a user purchasing a computer with hardware and software that is suited to the most demanding applications that the user expects to encounter," said Microsoft in the application. "Therefore, a user may buy a multi-core processor with a significant amount of memory and advanced video support for gaming applications that are only used on the weekend, while the user's day-in, day-out activities may involve little more than word processing or web-browsing."

Microsoft's plan would instead monitor the machine to track things such as disk storage space, processor cores and memory used, then bill the user for what was consumed during a set period.

"A different business model may allow a more granular approach to hardware and software sales," Microsoft argued. "A computer may have individually metered hardware and software components that a user can select and activate based on current need. When the need is browsing, a low level of performance may be used, and when network-based interactive gaming is the need of the moment, the highest available performance may be made available to the user."

Fees would be lower for low-performance chores, such as writing e-mail or surfing the Internet, and higher for high-performance tasks.

For consumers, Microsoft said, the advantage of such a model would be a lower price at the outset for a powerful PC. Computer makers would gain the ability to standardize on higher-end systems, it added. But the company admitted that the overall cost to the user might be higher than for a standard PC purchase. "Although the cost of ownership over the life of the computer may be higher than that of a one-time purchase, the payments can be deferred and the user can extend the useful life of the computer beyond that of the one-time purchase machine," Microsoft contended.

Key to the concept is something Microsoft called a "security module," embedded either in the hardware or provided as software, that would meter the computer's usage. "To make this model successful, a mechanism must be in place that supports a highly secure method of adjusting performance coupled with a secure, auditable measurement and payment scheme to allow a variety of pre-paid and post-paid mechanisms for capturing and settling highly granular, infinitely adjustable, performance variations," the patent application said.

The security module would also lock the PC to a specific supplier, perhaps an ISP, much as a subsidized cell phone is locked to a specific mobile carrier for the life of a contract. "The metering agents and ... the security module allow an underwriter in the supply chain to confidently supply a computer at little or no upfront cost to a user or business, aware that their investment is protected and that the scalable performance capabilities generate revenue commensurate with actual performance level settings and usage," said Microsoft.

Pricing could be on an hourly rate, perhaps with different "bundles" priced according to the software offered and the hardware necessary to run that software. A bundle of productivity applications, for example, might include word processing and spreadsheet software that could access two of three processor cores and a medium level of graphics performance for, say, $1 an hour.

A "gaming bundle," meanwhile, would make available all the PC's processor cores and 3-D graphics support for $1.25 an hour.

"Both users and suppliers benefit from this new business model," Microsoft claimed. "The user is able to migrate the performance level of the computer as needs change over time, while the supplier can develop a revenue stream business that may actually have higher value than the one-time purchase model currently practiced."
FFS, of all the stupid bloody ideas - this one takes the biscuit!
Last edited by André on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Re: Pay as you go computing

Post by abfan123 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:19 pm

Already discussed here.
Doesn't seem to be as bad as it sounds, As they're apparently using this scheme in some poor countries only.
Last edited by André on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged.
Main PC:

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:26 pm

If the stanard users are billed .What could we do. I think we all would have to convert to the mac they won't be useing this i am sure and they know 95 percent won't pay this fee they could get a bunch of people going to them. What do you guys think if they do it i would get a mac what would everyone actualy do if this happens, please coment on if you would convert to a mac . [-X [-X

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 pm

It's not going to replace the current system for buying computers. That would be stupid and many, many people would revolt. It's merely a proposed system for users that only rarely use their computers where it could be cheaper to go this route instead of buy a whole computer that goes mostly unused.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by vtel57 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:38 am

*click for bigger pic

This message brought to you by:

Humor here, folks... just humor. :wink:

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:42 am

LOL!

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:50 am

MS would charge people by the hour to use their computers. It would be marketing suicide.

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
Skin: default

Post by darth » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Microsoft is still talking about pay-as-you-go recently. View http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9131981.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm

DrDrrae wrote:It's not going to replace the current system for buying computers. That would be stupid and many, many people would revolt. It's merely a proposed system for users that only rarely use their computers where it could be cheaper to go this route instead of buy a whole computer that goes mostly unused.
I am merley asking if this did happen still after your revolt what would you do then DrDrrae call me stupid again and as far as computers go you have to upgrade every now and then so microsoft verses apple is what i am asking what would everyone opt to do i guess i was not clear i was useing buy a mac as a example not that i was going to buy one. But if this did happen and i needed a new puter. What would you get then. It should be like a pole right now see what happens intresting i think. :)

statm1

Post by statm1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:31 am

Drdrrae did not call you stupid Axeman he called the idea stupid. Plus I agree with him. Microsoft would not make that the only you could use their software. It will only be an option.
-- Matt --

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:49 pm

statm1 wrote:Drdrrae did not call you stupid Axeman he called the idea stupid. Plus I agree with him. Microsoft would not make that the only you could use their software. It will only be an option.
You are not addressing my point if this pay as you go were actualy implamented what would you do. And i am asking all members that is all i am asking. Yes aggree with you guys to . But as you know there will always be people who will willing pay as they so no pun intended. As i said it is just a question :)

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 am

I would use Linux which I already use.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:39 am

I guess, I would continue using the version of Windows that I already have. I would think doing a pay as you go system would require an extensive reworking of certain components in Windows. So they couldn't just release an update and all of a sudden Vista or 7 doesn't work anymore because I havent paid my dues. So I dont really think it would effect me. Until Windows 7 becomes obsolete. Which will take quite awhile to happen.
-- Matt --