Television Licence.

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Re: Television Licence.

Post by addonsfan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:34 am

angeldust wrote:Don't they still have the telly trucks that go about looking for a signal?
I think it is mainly North America that allows free tv, I know that a few other countries have tv taxes also.
And all the years, having the privilage of free TV, I would have never thought that TV wasn't actually free in most countries. Is it atleast commercial free?
ReleaseRoderick wrote:I`m not sure, angeldust, but my guess is that now its most likely a small hand-held device.
That reminds me of this small device I have, which is an FM transmitter. It's the size of an Ipod, and it's able to transmit up to 20-30 feet with frequencies 88-108 (US standard). There's no offcial range on the package, but that's about as far as I was able to get with it. Cool thing is that it only cost $8.
I assume one of these is absolutely prohibited?

Circumlocutus
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A

Post by Circumlocutus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:52 am

ReleaseRoderick wrote:I`m not sure, angeldust, but my guess is that now its most likely a small hand-held device.
I agree that the BBC should be funded from a licence and that some of it is for BBC radio
(the BBC World Service is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth office)but its the fact that you are considered guilty if you don`t have licence even if you don`t have a TV in the first place. Also, i think that the block(7 bed-sit rooms)landlord has a licence for the whole building yet we have had 3x7 letters making 21 in 2 months!
We are expecting the Spanish Inquisition by tommorow mornings mail.
Is that a special licence? I thought that multiple occupancies required individual licences for each resident.
WARNING

This post contains one or more words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash your eyes after reading.

Circumlocutus
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A

Post by Circumlocutus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:25 am

addonsfan wrote:And all the years, having the privilage of free TV, I would have never thought that TV wasn't actually free in most countries. Is it atleast commercial free?...
Yes, All BBC channels in the UK are free of paid messages, the only announcements that they show are between programmes and are for either other shows on that particular channel or on other channels in the BBC Family (including radio), or for the BBC's listings magazine "Radio Times".

Oh, they also show PSA's less frequently between shows also.

But they never break up a show to insert messages.
WARNING

This post contains one or more words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash your eyes after reading.

ReleaseRoderick
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: WinXP Pro
Avant Version: AV11.7build46forever
IE Version: IE.8

Post by ReleaseRoderick » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Hello Circumlocutos, I cannot confirm the multiple user status, l shall ask my landlord.

On the BBC News Web Pages today(tried to upload here)there is a piece about the German Licence collection agency sending a demand to Friedrich Schiller addressed to The Friedrich Schiller Primary School. This was despite the Headmaster writing a letter assuring the GEZ office that the addressee was in no position to possess a television. The good poet Schiller died in 1802, he wrote Ode to Joy, set to music by Beethoven.
I sure would like to have seen the wording of the Headmaster`s letter. Would have made an enterprising German Composition project for the young pupils.
Love,Light and Peace
ian