Apple announces Windows browser

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Apple announces Windows browser

Post by josephrot » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:26 pm

This sounds like a good area for this:

"Monday June 11, 2007

Apple announces Windows browser today [Monday June 11, 2007)] where thousands of developers are attending a conference.

Apple has launched a version of its web browser Safari for Windows, competing head to head with Microsoft's Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.

Chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple "dream big" and wanted to expand the 4.9% market share Safari enjoys.

Mr Jobs was speaking at a conference of developers for Apple products in San Francisco, California.

He said Safari was "the fastest browser on Windows", saying it was twice as fast as Internet Explorer.

A test version of Safari 3 for Windows XP, Vista and Apple Macs running OSX, is available for download from the Apple website:

Code: Select all

http://www.apple.com/safari/
Apple is hoping to replicate the success of iTunes, which has proved enormously popular on both Macs and Windows machines.

"We think Windows users are going to be really impressed when they see how fast and intuitive web browsing can be with Safari," said Mr Jobs.

Mr Jobs used the conference to lift the lid on new features of its forthcoming operating system (OS) for Macs, called Leopard. ..."

=== end ===
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 pm

Hmm, interesting.

Moved to General Discussion

Circumlocutus
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by Circumlocutus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:46 pm

Very interesting, seeing that Apple has done the work of making the KHTML rendering engine (which is subject to LGPL) Windows compatible.
WARNING

This post contains one or more words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash your eyes after reading.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:50 pm

bigC wrote:Hmm, interesting.

Moved to General Discussion
I was just having a discussion between three of my friends...me, myself and I.... and it appears that if Apple can develop a less-than-half-as-good-as-Avant-is Windows browser....

...maybe in the future, Anderson can produce an AvantApple version, or make a nice juicy code sale to license AvantApple....or would that be a McAvant ??

Taking a quick look through Safari Windows....it's an interesting browser.

Still, looks like the Apple users will need something like AvantApple to see what they are missing.
Last edited by josephrot on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Circumlocutus
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by Circumlocutus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:01 pm

josephrot wrote:...maybe in the future, Anderson can produce an AvantApple version, or make a nice juicy code sale to license AvantApple....or would that be a McAvant ??
SAvant sounds good to me
WARNING

This post contains one or more words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash your eyes after reading.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:03 pm

Terranaut wrote:
josephrot wrote:...maybe in the future, Anderson can produce an AvantApple version, or make a nice juicy code sale to license AvantApple....or would that be a McAvant ??
SAvant sounds good to me
Yes, indeed... That's a good one. 8)

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:10 pm

Has anyone tried it?

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Pip wrote:Has anyone tried it?
Yup, just now. I didn't like it. I didn't care for the gui and the tab browsing implementation is pathetic especialy compared to Avants. And one annoying thing is that you can only resize the browser by grabbing the bottom right corner. I didn't really pay much attention to the page rendering.

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro, Vista, Win 7
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46SR
IE Version: 8.0.7600.3865

Post by KY Dave » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:03 pm

C'mon guys, everyone knows that anything to do with apple has to have a name begin with an 'i'. :wink:

It almost would have to be "iVant".
KY Dave

Family Blog

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:54 am

Pip wrote:Has anyone tried it?
My humble response after spending two+ careful and attentive hours with Safari (Win) ...

- OK, so what ?

It's not REALLY all that fast, no real plug-ins or capability, the user interface is far too "Mac" in all reality.

- So it has tabs? Oh, wow...
- My impression is that Safari is a runtime for iPhone developers...period.

It's not a browser that everyone really needs or should drop what they are using for.

However, people WILL initially come in droves to "Win Safari", drawn more by claims and pretty video or screen shots than by substance.

- Safari promises a different design, and that may be good for giving us all choices...
- Safari more or less has a fancy "roll up" sort of interface, or at least it tries to. That COULD be an interesting feature to see more of in an upcoming Avant...
- And Safari speed? Well, if you didn't have much of what Avant already does or Avant 11.5 will soon have... you might be "faster" too.
- Safari does NOT seem to have a "look and feel" that's conducive to easy or intuitive use.

Conclusions

If you have a Mac, get Safari, as, shucks, people, that's about the only real and useful choice you have.

Outside of all the above, I love Safari! (sorry, that's just the little :evil: in me saying that)

It's in the same level of endearment as the scorpion and that small snake in my camping bed-roll, or that was.... I hope.

Considered Statement

The mark of Safari will be how long it holds our and other users interest, given that proven software like Avant and Opera is already in use.

By the way...someday soon, a limited set of real Macro's in Avant might make it more useful.

Well, that Safari interest didn't last long.... :D
Last edited by josephrot on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:30 pm

I couldn't get any of my mouse button functions to work with it.

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Re: Apple announces Windows browser

Post by ABman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:52 pm

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Re: Apple announces Windows browser

Post by josephrot » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Ahh, cruel digital world!

Apple Safari becomes yet another Zero-Day / 0-Day casualty...

It's just a browser-eat-browser world out there.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:35 am

RE: Safari for Windows from Apple...

One thought: Safari for Windows is a positive move for the web development community.

Windows web-site developers (i.e., those using Windows-based web tools) can now test Web apps for Safari on Windows machines. Thus you can design web sites in say, NetObjects Fusion or Adobe Dreamweaver, and test them out on IE type browsers like Avant, and on Firefox and now on Safari.

Who would have guessed ... :wink:

UPDATE: As mentioned in this topic area, many XP users can't use Safari Windows... seems to crash too often. Maybe that will clear up in the Safari beta testing BEFORE Safari finally ships to market.
Last edited by josephrot on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

blitzmaster
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x86
Avant Version: 11.7 build 26
IE Version: IE 8

Post by blitzmaster » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:59 am

so many web browsers!

avant, ff, opera, ie7, maxthon.

another one coming! whew!

i'll w8 for the final release and make my judgment! for now my question is will the change of OS affect safari's performance?

Avant 4 Life!
By Any Means Necessary!

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:19 am

I'm using it. As a web designer, it's nice to be able to test in Safari without having to find a Mac! But it would never be my day-to-day browser. When you're used to browsers with a huge range of practical, customizable features like Avant (or Firefox or, to a lesser extent, Opera) it seems so stiff and limited. ****, it makes IE look feature-rich.

Is it faster? Not that I could notice. It is excellently standards compliant, though of course in practice this just means that (like Opera) it's frustratingly picky about your HTML. Interestingly it's the only browser that can read the embedded color profile of Jpegs, making it better for people who really care about color accuracy like photographers. (Well the Mac version can, I'm just assuming this applies to the Windows port.) Annoyingly, it doesn't have the built-in advanced text editor that the original KHTML does.

It's good, but it's going to have virtually no impact on the Windows browser marketplace. There are already too many good browsers.

Oh yes, and it crashes in XP. I can only run it under Vista.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

It's funny you bring up the crashing, Sergei. I couldn't even get it installed on my office XP computer due to it not finding the installer in my temp files. I had no problems on XP at home, though.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:11 am

Actually it didn't crash so much as fail to run. There was no text - the menu bar wasn't populated, and I couldn't type into the address or search bars. It failed to fully download its homepage too, so the problem wasn't just the interface.

Works fine under Vista for some reason - I suspect my XP needs a reinstall at this point - but I see no advantage to using it. Unless you're a photographer and want a browser that understands embedded color profiles. (And then, you really want other people's browsers to do that...) Some of the features it lacks will just drive Windows users mad. No dropdown on the forward/back buttons? That's crazy.

The question everyone's asking is "Why the **** did Steve Jobs do this?" No one can think of a good reason for Safari in Windows. ****, it's not even the most popular browser on the Mac! Firefox is. It's notoriously bad with JavaScript, which in these days of Ajax and "Web 2.0" is a pain.

Incidentally, it isn't the first port of KHTML/WebKit to Windows. Swift did it first - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swift_(web_browser). But Swift is even more buggy and feature-poor.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro, Vista, Win 7
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46SR
IE Version: 8.0.7600.3865

Post by KY Dave » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Sergei wrote:The question everyone's asking is "Why the **** did Steve Jobs do this?" No one can think of a good reason for Safari in Windows.
From some of the articles I've read, I think it's going to be a user interface for the iPhone on Windows PCs.
KY Dave

Family Blog