XP Takes BIG ****!

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

XP Takes BIG ****!

Post by vtel57 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Here's a copy of a posting that I recently posted at the Computer Haven forums:

Well folks,

Sorry for my absense of late. Tuesday's MS patches somehow corrupted the boot sector on my hard drive causing total failure of my system. I spent 10 straight hours on Wednesday trying every trick I know to revive the system... all to no avail.

I spent all day yesterday and most of last night reformatting and reinstalling XP. In the past 3 years, I've had 4 system failures, two required clean installs, the other two required hours of debugging to save the system. EVERY one of those failures was a direct result of installing a Microsoft patch. I'm pretty much done with that now.

As of this installation, I'm not updating AT ALL. I'm using the XP as it came out of the box. I'm going to trust my third party software to protect me. I have a pretty tight system, security-wise. We'll see how this works out. NO MORE PATCHES FOR ME!

Do I seem a bit aggravated? Well, that's because I am. I'm so aggravated that I installed a secondary IDE 30Gig hard drive on my system (I already run a primary 80Gig RAID 0 set-up) and installed Ubuntu Linux on it last night. I'll be learning and playing around with Linux from now on. If I get comfortable enough with it, and find that it will do everything I need to do, then I may say good bye to Windows forever. By the way, I have NO faith in Vista. It'll just be another MS forever-beta OS... patch, patch, patch.

Ah well...

*NOTE: What I'm doing here is in NO way meant to be a recommendation or even a suggestion of how others who may read this should set up their systems. And while I'm currently somewhat aggravated with Microsoft, this post isn't meant as a generic MS-bashing post. MS has changed the world as we know it. I believe they've created a lot of wonderful software and technology.

Hmm... will Orca run on Linux? ;)

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:17 pm

Rofl, neither Orca nor Avant will run on Linux, save perhaps, using VM software such as Wine.

I've got to admit, though I detest MS's lack of resolving issues before releasing the system, as a developer myself, I can understand it ..... we can only test and debug to a certain extent.

Whilst I would recommend turning of AU, I wouldn't recommend avoiding patches all together as some of them are too important to not install.

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:55 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:...I wouldn't recommend avoiding patches all together as some of them are too important to not install.
Myeh... we'll see. Image

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:11 pm

Does SP2 come in the box you have...?

I've never had any trouble with the patching, I wonder what's different with your system.

(I did have to do a reinstall just a couple of weeks ago, but that was entirely my own fault. Never go "I wonder what this does..." when using PartitionMagic!)
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

TOMaxwell
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by TOMaxwell » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:26 pm

My Laptop runs on Ubuntu only. I love it, but don't use it all that often.

My next boxen will be winders-free.
Some days, it's just not worth biting through the leather straps :-#

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

Post by angeldust » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:00 am

TOMaxwell wrote:My Laptop runs on Ubuntu only. I love it, but don't use it all that often.
My next boxen will be winders-free.
So how much do you know about Ubuntu, Eric needs all the help he can get. :roll: :lol: :twisted:
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro, Vista, Win 7
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46SR
IE Version: 8.0.7600.3865

Post by KY Dave » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:06 am

I would recommend starting with SP2 and updating until it's completely done, oh around 45 updates...

then leave AUTOMATIC UPDATING on to stay up to date and STAY AWAY from third party add ons.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and your mileage may vary!
KY Dave

Family Blog

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:16 pm

Sergei wrote:Does SP2 come in the box you have...?

I've never had any trouble with the patching, I wonder what's different with your system.

(I did have to do a reinstall just a couple of weeks ago, but that was entirely my own fault. Never go "I wonder what this does..." when using PartitionMagic!)
No. My Pro disk is from 2002... before SP2.

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:18 pm

WebGuy wrote:I would recommend starting with SP2 and updating until it's completely done, oh around 45 updates...

then leave AUTOMATIC UPDATING on to stay up to date and STAY AWAY from third party add ons.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and your mileage may vary!
This was precisely how my system was set up. I was fully patched/updated till this past Tuesday. Those patches from that day are what caused the failure. Or more accurately, those patches in conjunction with some other aspect of my system caused the failure.

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43

Post by abfan123 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Weird
Last time I've reinstalled Windows on my old PC was approximately (Sp) 2 years ago & ALWAYS installed all the WindowsUpdate patches & beta software.
No problems so far.
As for the newer PC,I've reinstalled just once cuz incorrectly installed a new video adapter.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by KY Dave » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:48 pm

vtel57 wrote:No. My Pro disk is from 2002... before SP2.
Windows XP SP1 and SP1a support ends on October 10, 2006

Final customer notifications about the end of Windows XP SP1 and SP1a support

Support for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Service Pack 1a (SP1a) ends on October 10, 2006. Microsoft will end support on this date. This also includes security updates for these service packs. Microsoft is providing final notifications to customers regarding the end of support for these products.

Microsoft Support Page
I would attempt to update to SP2 as soon as possible. Then if something goes wrong, you still have time for another attempt.

I just got an old Dell P3 and put in two 250 gig drives (refurbished) and then installed XP and had to d/l SP2 and then the 45 updates after that. Hope you've got at least a DSL. :wink:

There was no problem with ACTIVATION and WGA.
KY Dave

Family Blog

jis
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: WXPPSP3, WVHPSP2, W7U64
Avant Version: 11.7.0.46SR

Re: XP Takes BIG ****!

Post by jis » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:05 pm

My primary PC (notebook DELL Latitude C600) was installed on 2.2.2002 with Microsoft Windows XP Professional and I have Automatic Windows Update enabled. I have for example currently installed about 200 programs (and tested hundreds and hundreds) and I still have no one reason for reinstall. I only remember one problem after Windows Update with scrolling in IE, but it was repaired in the next update. I use only licensed or free software. I must change only keyboard and battery so far :).
Avant user since the year 2003.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:38 am

Incidentally, I'm glad I did do that reinstall. After nearly two years of messing with betas and suchlike, odd things were going wrong. Avant in particular was suffering instability due to something else wonky in there. Now it's all lovely and smooth again.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:50 am

WebGuy wrote:
vtel57 wrote:No. My Pro disk is from 2002... before SP2.
Windows XP SP1 and SP1a support ends on October 10, 2006

Final customer notifications about the end of Windows XP SP1 and SP1a support

Support for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Service Pack 1a (SP1a) ends on October 10, 2006. Microsoft will end support on this date. This also includes security updates for these service packs. Microsoft is providing final notifications to customers regarding the end of support for these products.

Microsoft Support Page
I would attempt to update to SP2 as soon as possible. Then if something goes wrong, you still have time for another attempt.

I just got an old Dell P3 and put in two 250 gig drives (refurbished) and then installed XP and had to d/l SP2 and then the 45 updates after that. Hope you've got at least a DSL. :wink:

There was no problem with ACTIVATION and WGA.
Who cares if they're ending support? I'll be 100% Linux by then. ;) Heh! I have an SP2 slipstream disk, so I can install it whenever I want.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Later...

~Eric

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:53 am

Sergei wrote:Incidentally, I'm glad I did do that reinstall. After nearly two years of messing with betas and suchlike, odd things were going wrong. Avant in particular was suffering instability due to something else wonky in there. Now it's all lovely and smooth again.
Windows (all versions) is like a never-maintained car engine. The more it runs, the more sludge builds up in the system till one day a sludgeball clogs something up. Most of the professional IT guys I know recommend fresh installs of WIN OS at least once every 12 months, never longer than 24 months.

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by KY Dave » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:08 pm

The IT guys I know, my son and a co-worker, take care of about 900 PCs at 6 schools. They just drop images of Windows on their PCs. Then all PCs come online with the same exact settings and such. Their USER DOCUMENTS are all stored on a CENTRAL SERVER with another for BACKUP. If an image becomes corrupted, they just drop a new image on the machine from their office and the next time the users logs on, their DOCUMENTS are right there just like nothing ever happened.

I'm beginning to use a backup system here at home. That was why I got the used Dell and the larger hard drives. I'm using SECOND COPY to backup anything I use on the PCs to the older Dell. I didn't get a monitor or keyboard for my $160, so I use REMOTE DESKTOP to change settings on it.
KY Dave

Family Blog

jis
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: WXPPSP3, WVHPSP2, W7U64
Avant Version: 11.7.0.46SR

Post by jis » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:07 pm

vtel57 wrote:Windows (all versions) is like a never-maintained car engine. The more it runs, the more sludge builds up in the system till one day a sludgeball clogs something up. Most of the professional IT guys I know recommend fresh installs of WIN OS at least once every 12 months, never longer than 24 months.
My Win XP run fine more than 53 months, so according to your recommendation I am either very good maintainer or incredibly lucky? I think that this recommendation is just nonsense, there are people which are able to destroy XP in a few days and on other side there are people which have XP stable for many years. I mean in similar conditions with OS's running on comparable quality hardware, with all updates, etc. It is not only depended on OS, but even on owner. Your analogy with cars is the same, someone can break his/her car quickly, someone give his/her car what it need and it can serve fine for many many years.
Avant user since the year 2003.

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:49 pm

WebGuy wrote:The IT guys I know, my son and a co-worker, take care of about 900 PCs at 6 schools. They just drop images of Windows on their PCs. Then all PCs come online with the same exact settings and such. Their USER DOCUMENTS are all stored on a CENTRAL SERVER with another for BACKUP. If an image becomes corrupted, they just drop a new image on the machine from their office and the next time the users logs on, their DOCUMENTS are right there just like nothing ever happened.
Yeah, man! That's the way to go! I have a nice Athlon XP box just sitting around here doing nothing. I'm thinking of dropping in two or three 120Gig Seagates in RAID array and run it as a file server/back-up on my home network.

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:01 pm

Hey vtel, why not 320GB ones. They're only $110 shipped. That 0.34515625 cents per gigabyte.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:09 pm

Because the Seagate 120s are on sale at Best Buy for $49 right now. ;)

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***