[INFO] This almost ....

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

[INFO] This almost ....

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:54 pm

... makes me wish I lived in the US (we could do with this over here)
Telemarketers and their lobbyists are attempting to circumvent state "Do Not Call" lists in the United States. No, I'm not talking about the Federal "Do Not Call" list. After several lawsuits and at least two separate acts of Congress, the Federal "Do Not Call" list is in effect and there really isn't much they can do about that.

There are, however, a number of individual states with their own rules about telemarketing. Five states in particular have regulations which are stricter than the Federal law. The Federal law allows telemarketers to pester call you if they are calling on behalf of a company with whom you have an "existing business relationship". Indiana's Attorney-General says that under the Federal law, simply buying a cup of coffee would entitle the coffee shop to start calling you at home, even if your number is on the "Do Not Call" list.

The states which have the telemarketers hot and bothered - Indiana, Florida, New Jersey, Wisconsin and North Dakota - don't allow telemarketers to call anyone on their lists for any reason whatsoever, no exceptions. Florida even bans the use of automated computers to make telemarketing calls.

Telemarketers want the Federal government to overrule the state governments so that they can again annoy the people in these states during dinner. They claim that it is unfair to have to follow different rules in different states and want a single, national law.

Boohoo. If telemarketers want to do business in those states, they will have to follow the laws of those states, just like everyone else. Why should they be allowed to break the law? For crying out loud, these people have put themselves on a list so that the telemarketers will leave them alone.

Honestly, I wish Congress would work up the nerve to simply ban telemarketing completely. Telemarketers are among the worst of the scum in this society. I would be more embarrassed to admit to someone that I worked as a telemarketer than I would be to admit that I was a drug dealer. There are some people who LIKE drugs. Nobody likes a telemarketer.
Source: http://www.spywareinfo.net/july31,2005

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:20 am

Criminalize it!
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:55 pm

I find an air horn blast keeps them from calling back...
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary