All instances close and lost online data!!

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

The Living Legend
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 b22
IE Version: 6

All instances close and lost online data!!

Post by The Living Legend » Mon May 17, 2010 9:49 pm

As of build 46, whenever I close a single instance of avant all other instances close as well! Only way to prevent this is to ensure at least one tab within every instance is locked and hitting no when asked if I want to close it...

Also, this is an ongoing bug ever since I started using avant... the online storage feature seems to reset my account every so often, that is when I log in all my personal data (bookmarks, url alias's, settings and everything else) have all been lost/reset!! I realise it's a free app worked on by volunteers but I rely on the online storage more than any other feature so this has set me back a lot, and raised my stress levels! :(
We Are Watching - FREE E-Book Creation For Everyone! Plus Graphic Design Services, FREE Online Services & Games, Online Store & Community & A Whole Lot More!

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: All instances close and lost online data!!

Post by kudos » Tue May 18, 2010 2:12 am

I am unable to replicate the issue. Please provide step-by-step instruction so that I can try to replicate the problem.

Also, see this: Online Storage Recovery

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

The Living Legend

Post by The Living Legend » Tue May 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Well... I downloaded/installed build 46, commenced using it and every time I close 1 instance (I always have at least 2 open at once, one for personal browsing and the other for maintaining my websites...this is mainly to reduce the risk of either instance "hanging" when it can't handle the number of tabs open) the other one/s automatically close (or try to if I've remembered to lock at least one tab) a second or 2 later. Not really sure what else to add really :think: ... I'm on a different PC pretty much every day (the reason I rely on the online storage), have been for years, and the ones I use are fully reset to their original state after every use, so I can't see it being an issue with anything other than the browser... :?

On the subject of the online storage, I try to backup my bookmarks every week or 2, so the biggest pain is the loss of URL Alias's...I've come to rely heavily on it as a time saver and currently have more than 2 dozen, so it would be a great help if it were possible to back them up locally as well so they can be restored if/when this happens. That said, the Recovery Team is an awesome (and appreciated) idea, but the ability to backup settings other than bookmarks would be really helpful... 8)
We Are Watching - FREE E-Book Creation For Everyone! Plus Graphic Design Services, FREE Online Services & Games, Online Store & Community & A Whole Lot More!

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Tue May 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Hello The Living Legend you need to update your IE to atleast 7 or 8 i think that might work avant is based on it IE 6 Is to old :)

The Living Legend

Post by The Living Legend » Wed May 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Most of the PC's I use run the latest version of internet explorer...those that don't I use my own portable version of firefox in conjunction with orca (adding the multi-instance function to orca would be helpful too). Therefore it can't be an issue with Internet Explorer (and if anyone reading this has the same issue post it here, I refuse to believe I'm the only person on earth experiencing this issue)... :? :think: :?

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Wed May 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Let's see what going on with your system: run a HiJackThis scan on your computer and post the results log.
The Living Legend wrote:adding the multi-instance function to orca would be helpful too
See OrcaXtra for a workaround.

The Living Legend

Post by The Living Legend » Sun May 23, 2010 9:12 pm

I assume this is what you mean (the log file attached to this post)...

And OrcaXtra only works with the USB version of Avant, which doesn't have the Online Storage option...
Attachments
hijackthis.log
(6.07 KiB) Downloaded 324 times

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sun May 23, 2010 9:40 pm

I see that you have both Cyber Monitor and Steady State running. I wonder if one of them is interfering with closing instances. I have seen similar issues with other software where a closed window was intercepted (and logged off the user completely!). Can you disable them and try again so that we may narrow down where the problem lies.

The Living Legend wrote:And OrcaXtra only works with the USB version of Avant, which doesn't have the Online Storage option...
Indeed, the current builds of portable Avant/Orca do not support online storage. My bad.

The Living Legend

Post by The Living Legend » Mon May 24, 2010 7:54 pm

It sounds kind of feasible so I wouldn't rule it out completely, however the PC's I use have had these programs running for years and it's only build 46 of Avant that's had this issue (no other browser at all for that matter has presented anything like this), so there may at least be a conflict between the latest versions of one of those apps and Avant... Unfortunately, I don't own the PC's, they belong to a local internet cafe, so if I were to do what you ask I'd probably get into some kind of trouble (plus the majority of the staff base know very little about even using a PC, I know, seems ridiculous to hire them for an internet cafe, but what ya gonna do! :clap: )...