Why has Avant Browser gotten SLOW??

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

xenafan40
Windows Version: xp pro
Avant Version: latest
IE Version: latest 8 i think

Re: Why has Avant Browser gotten SLOW??

Post by xenafan40 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Don't know about slow, i've found for quite some time it simply locks up when starting and when using and i don't use these rss feeds which someone mentioned as a cause of locking up, i don't even know what rss feeds are, i like things simple and i liked the look and stability of avant and have used it for some years but due to the sluggishness and frequent locking up to the point i need 2 restart my system, which doesnt stop it stalling or freezing again, i've found myself looking at explorer again, initialy just to see if it had same problems, which it doesn't. It is flying and gives me tabs as avant does and after 3 days of use not one stall nor lockup.
I used to dislike the whole look of explorer and outlook express which i still don't use, but right now explorer is superior simply cause it doesnt hang. Obviously the popularity of Avant etc has got microsoft to make changes and i don't find it as bland as it once was.
I tried ALL the browswers in the past , NONE were stable, not sure about firefox, it was simply unappealing in it's use and design, i dont care if it's more secure, i don't like it atall.
Anyway avant had all you might want or at least i'd want, but for whatever reason it's going downhill and i'm back to explorer.
While i'm ranting i might add WHY did they change the default search to Avant, it's terrible, i used to keep a copy of version 10 which still had google as default, i've lost count of how many times i've had to search at length for the google search address to replace the now rubish default.
If you make changes make them Improved ones not take steps backward.
Ok, thats me done.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Hey guys i have noticed that going backwards in avant verstions seems to fix almost everything that has been going on. The new releases makes the problems worse with every new version .I don't claim to know the answers .But with my experience going backwards is much better i don't know why but it is the truth

abhinavrm
Windows Version: winXP
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 35
IE Version: 6.0.2900

Post by abhinavrm » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:24 am

After I observed the "Hanging" of Avant in newer releases , I migrated back to a version from a couple of years back : Version 11.0 Version 46 and this works like a charm with IE8 !

I was really fed up with the hangs which last almost 10-15 seconds ! I feel Avant has a lot of plus points compared to Firefox / chrome and I don't want to see Avant lose the battle to plethora of browsers available today . I would suggest Avant developers to fix the memory leaks and hangs and get back to being "The fastest browser on earth" and not just claim being the fastest !

Avant Browser , now is the time to delight your users.

ftboomer
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version: Latest
IE Version: IE8 x64

Post by ftboomer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Just dropped back to 11.0 RC4. WOW what a difference. Very quick and snappy.

Win 7 build 7100 RC1. :clap:
Give me a dirty martini and a great cigar, cause nothing beats a nice tight white ash!

The Living Legend
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 b22
IE Version: 6

Post by The Living Legend » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Same here. Avant constantly hangs for no apparent reason. I first thought it might be due to running other internet applications at the same time, so I made a point of not running any, and it didn't improve Avant's performance. I then assumed it may be an issue with the number of tabs I have opened, so I made sure I only had a minimal number open (2 or 3 max at a time), and still no improvement! And when I say "constantly hangs" I really do mean that, it's hung on every single word I've typed in this post and it also does so when entering passwords (aside from being irritating this can lead to security leaks if I'm not constantly aware of it). I'll try reverting to an older version myself and see if there's an improvement.

And Bullroarer, with regards to Chrome, being a new browser it's still riddled with bugs. Almost everyone reporting them claim they "go unoticed for quite some time and surface at the most unexpected moment" (a number of people have used this exact quote). While it has a number of possitives (some of which have been copied by Microsoft) it's still a newbie so be very careful when recommending it to anyone :-)
We Are Watching - FREE E-Book Creation For Everyone! Plus Graphic Design Services, FREE Online Services & Games, Online Store & Community & A Whole Lot More!

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:07 pm

DrDrrae wrote:Anderson does have a couple of extra programmers working for him.
Then why is this then apost from abfan123 There's only one programmer and he's not responding to threads in this forum too often.
Do you have the ads blocker enabled? (Please look under the Tools menu)
If yes, Please try to disable it. ??????? :)

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm sorry for the incorrect information in my previous posts.
Anderson told me that there are other programmers working on Avant just a few days ago. Anderson used to be the only developer, But things have changed since then.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Avant Version:

Post by André » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Yes, for a very long time, there was only one programmer, Anderson. Since then, though, things have changed.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

lhorwinkle
Windows Version: XP SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 18
IE Version: IE7

Post by lhorwinkle » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm rather late to this discussion ... but I've had the same problem.

I've always been loathe to use Firefox. For 3 or 4 years, I've used Avant, preferring its native features and usability ... and especially the better tabs.

But the browser slowness (and the developers' lack of responsiveness to the frequent complaints) got me to try Firefox. Trust me ... it takes a lot to get me to move. But Avant's problems are just intolerable.

Firefox (formerly a slow poke in its early days) is now lightning fast. And the features are superb, becoming even better with a few add-ons.

Initially I was thinking that I'd go back to Avant if they fixed the slowness ... but that's now a moot point. After using FF for just a few days, it's now clear that Firefox is SOOOOOOO much better. No way will I ever go back to Avant.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43

Post by abfan123 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:25 am

IE8 with IE7Pro & a few plugins is much better than Firefox. ;)
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

brasax
Avant Version:

Post by brasax » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:16 pm

I also experience superslow startups, hangups, have been using IE8 out of frustration. Since I do not keep a library of all previous versions I would like to know where I could find a download for one of the older and faster versions.

Thanks!

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: 10
Skin: default

Post by darth » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:23 am

Go to Avant Browser Help>Avant Old Version Help. There you will find how to get an older version.

I use Avant 11_0 Build 46. It is stable and pretty darn fast.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits

hlndr
Windows Version: Win XP Home
Avant Version: n/a

Post by hlndr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:50 am

I belong to an online live action (played in a chat room) RPG. I first discovered Avant before IE became a tabbed browser. I had always hated IE because it was so slow and Firefox took up too much memory and also was slow. Avant was perfect for my role playing since there are times that I play more than one character at the same time. It allowed me to do that when IE wouldn't. Antoher feature I fell in love with was being able to customize where the tabs were. I prefer them on the bottom of the screen rather than the top. But as the years progressed...each upgrade of Avant seemed to become more and more problematic. Now....and I hate to say this...IE8 is more reliable and faster than Avant. The only thing is that neither IE or Firefox allow you to change where your tabs are. Also....with Avant....when I have a tab open to a site and click on one of my Favorites (bookmarks)...it automatically opens in a new tab. Neither Firefox nor IE do that. They open in the same tab which is a pain when I forget. I still use Avant because I'm stubborn and hopeful that the next upgrade will work more like the older versions but after successfully opening 4 or 5 websites Avant will either become incredibly slow or freeze up and I will have to use CTRL/ALT/DEL to close it out and reopen it. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't and when it does it's only temporary.

hlndr

Post by hlndr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:53 am

abhinavrm wrote:After I observed the "Hanging" of Avant in newer releases , I migrated back to a version from a couple of years back : Version 11.0 Version 46 and this works like a charm with IE8 !

I was really fed up with the hangs which last almost 10-15 seconds ! I feel Avant has a lot of plus points compared to Firefox / chrome and I don't want to see Avant lose the battle to plethora of browsers available today . I would suggest Avant developers to fix the memory leaks and hangs and get back to being "The fastest browser on earth" and not just claim being the fastest !

Avant Browser , now is the time to delight your users.

Where did you find that version? All I see in the archive is 11.0, 11.5, 6 & 7, Alpha, Beta and Release Candidate.
Whoever said that anything is possible
never tried to slam a revolving door.

hlndr

Post by hlndr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:53 am

ftboomer wrote:Just dropped back to 11.0 RC4. WOW what a difference. Very quick and snappy.

Win 7 build 7100 RC1. :clap:

Where did you find that version?

hlndr

Post by hlndr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:43 am

Bullroarer wrote:Give Google's Chrome a try. Better than Firefox and fast. Tabs are independent processes so if one hangs, it won't hang the whole browser.

Can you change where the tabs are dsiplayed?...(I like mine on the bottome of the screen and so far Avant is the only tabbed browser I have found that lets you do that.)

André
Administrator
Administrator
Avant Version:

Post by André » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:50 am

Not sure why you'd want to use a beta version but they are all in the Avant Archive.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

The Living Legend
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 b22
IE Version: 6

Post by The Living Legend » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Build 19 of 11.7 seems like lightning compared to build 35. Still experiencing some other issues but as far as speed performance goes it's much better. I only hope future versions will improve in quality rather than decline even more!
We Are Watching - FREE E-Book Creation For Everyone! Plus Graphic Design Services, FREE Online Services & Games, Online Store & Community & A Whole Lot More!

lucho20
Avant Version:

Post by lucho20 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:52 pm

look the test i make on a site i have developed

http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26225

jasarthur
Windows Version: XP Pro
Avant Version: 11.7, 39
IE Version: N/A

Post by jasarthur » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm having regular freeze-ups, too, and have to close with task manager. Bummer. But in Avant's defense, I get the same thing with Safari on my Mac!!!!!!! Might have something to do with my lousy AT&T DSL connection.

But the main problem is I can't access MSIE8. Although I've reinstalled it direct from MSN, there's no shortcut icon and no apparent .exe file for the app. Is Avant over-riding Explorer? If I want to use IE8, will I have to remove Avant?

BTW, though this might belong in a different board, Avant (41) keeps reloading all the default MSN and FOX bookmarks, even though I've deleted them 2-3 times. How annoying! Personalized bookmarks was the reason I started using Avant in the first place. It seems that option has been compromised.