Page 2 of 2

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:31 pm
by AB_france
Anderson wrote:I removed the "Text Size" and "Encoding" Buttons, because those two buttons won't work for Orca, and in my opinion those two buttons are less important.

Text Size is under view menu, and Encoding is available under context menu of the web-page. Please let me know if this is enough, and lets discuss shall we bring those two buttons back.

Thanks,

Anderson
Please, come back the "text size" button. For me, it's very usefull.

Merci beaucoup,
DM

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:32 pm
by Andante51
Just wanted to add that I am lost without the text size button, use it dozens of times a day; it was one of the features I especially loved in Avant. When you use it so often, digging it out of the menu is very inconvenient.

Was disappointed to download the latest version today and see that it is still not back.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:30 pm
by AXEMAN
Sure i am with you guys but i would think anderson did this for a reason as u may have read. But alot of people do seem to need these functions . So i agree with everyone else unless there is more problems because of it but i can't see any.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:50 pm
by flowrush
Agreed.

Just so people know I myself do not have this issue of the selected text size not being rememebered on restored sessions. No idea how many people including SilverDragon it actually affects.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:37 pm
by ElimGarak
I wrote in other two topics that I badly need the "Text size" button back where it was.

I really don't understand why AndersonChe doesn't ASK users before removing an item that has been there for so long. Just because he doesn't find something useful, it doesn't mean that a LOT of us don't need it.

We had to wait a lot to have the system buttons back where they were, we're still waiting for tab width and lost the battle to have Groups back. Let's see this time how it's going to end...

:-|

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:05 pm
by ABman

"Customize Button" on Avant 11.7

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:18 am
by atlfelix
Hello,

The "Encoding" and "Size" customize buttons are no more available to select on AB 11.7 while they are still available on AB 11.6.

Kindly consider to allow these two options in the coming releases.

Thank you.

Merged with previous thread. - DrDrrae

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:31 pm
by notestracker
flowrush wrote:oust so people know I myself do not have this issue of the selected text size not being remembered on restored sessions. No idea how many people including SilverDragon it actually affects.
Just for the record too, my own problem with remembering text size is that if any one tab has text size set to (say) "Largest" because the site's font is tiny, then when Avant is restarted every tab then has the "Largest" setting and not just that one tab.

This makes all those other pages (in the other tabs) for sites which don't have tiny text appear abnormally huge, which is not nice!

The way to fix this problem, discovered by chance, seems to be: Switch to the first tab, alter its text size to "Medium" and select "Save All Open Pages and Exit" after which when you restart Avant all of the tabs have "Medium" text size. Is this what other people find?

So, I reckon that text size needs to be remembered on a per-tab basis, there seems no other way around doing this.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:26 am
by André
When you restart Avant (and IE) the setting will be whatever the last change was. For example, if you select largest on any tab then close Avant, it will start back up as largest for all tabs; if you select smallest on any tab then close Avant, it will start back up as smallest for all tabs.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:52 am
by notestracker
DrDrrae wrote:When you restart Avant (and IE) the setting will be whatever the last change was. For example, if you select largest on any tab then close Avant, it will start back up as largest for all tabs; if you select smallest on any tab then close Avant, it will start back up as smallest for all tabs.
Yeah, DrDrrae, this is how I described it and it's exactly what I do not want!

If I have some number (say, 50 or 100) tabs opened, and change the text size to "Largest" in one of the tabs because that web site has tiny font, then when I restart Avant I certainly don't want the other 49 or 999 tabs to be set at largest -- that's a really terrible thing to happen.

As I said, the only proper thing to do usability-wise is to keep track of the text size setting for each tab [and not use a single text size setting for all tabs]. If I have some tabs set at "Smallest" and some at "Medium" and some at "Largest" (others maybe at the other two text size settings), I definitely wouldn't want them all to have same text size when I restart Avant.

This is one of the many programming challenges for tabbed browsers. Another one, supposedly handled by Google Chrome, is not to crash the entire browser if one of the tabs bombs out. (Does anybody know if any browser apart from Chrome make this claim?)

Certainly Avant locks up or crashes on me if something bad happens in one of its tabs, leading me to have to restart Avant a number of times each day. Same for Firefox, and probably all the others (except perhaps Chrome).

There's no shortage of work for Anderson in overcoming such challenges, so we need hom as much as ever!

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:31 am
by André
I believe, though am not 100% sure, that the text size "bug" is a limitation of IE/Trident. Now, that's not to say there isn't a way to code around it or even completely write that component from scratch solely for Avant.

IE 8 is completely threaded like Chrome but that won't just carry over to Avant. That would most likely have to be coded from scratch for Avant.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:01 am
by notestracker
Dedra wrote:I believe, though am not 100% sure, that the text size "bug" is a limitation of IE/Trident. Now, that's not to say there isn't a way to code around it or even completely write that component from scratch solely for Avant.

IE 8 is completely threaded like Chrome but that won't just carry over to Avant. That would most likely have to be coded from scratch for Avant.
My design/programming skills are in fields quite distinct from browsers and the like. You're quite likely correct about the Trident engine shortcomings.

I had a system crash in July and completely rebuilt Windows XP (so far, I refuse to install my copy of Vista even though it's a perfectly valid licence). I deliberately chose to leave IE6 installed and have resisted upgrading to IE7, just to see what happened. One thing seems certain, or at least highly likely: while running IE6 in my newly-reinstalled Windows XP Pro system, I have not had a re occurrence of the Avant memory leaks that plagued my system before the crash.

Other people have complained in these forums about Avant chewing up memory too, but it may be IE7 that's the culprit and not Avant. When I have 50 or more tabs open (which is most of the time, sometimes up to 100 or more tabs), I used to find Avant using over 1 GB of memory. But since the system rebuild (and under IE6 not IE7) Avant hardly ever even reach 500 MB much less getting close to or over 1 GB.

I think Anderson will need to take advantage of the new IE8 rendering engine if, as you say, it manages tabs as separate threads so that crashing one thread won't crash Avant completely. Modifying Avant to cope with the IE8 rendering engine as well as the older engines will be yet another workload challenge for Anderson, eh? Glad it;s not me!

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:54 pm
by AB_france
Anderson wrote:I removed the "Text Size" and "Encoding" Buttons, because those two buttons won't work for Orca, and in my opinion those two buttons are less important.

Text Size is under view menu, and Encoding is available under context menu of the web-page. Please let me know if this is enough, and lets discuss shall we bring those two buttons back.

Thanks,

Anderson
Please [-o< Come back this button. It's very usefull.

Merci.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:56 am
by AcurA
Same request from me for the txt size button to be bought back. My 2c
Ragards.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:37 pm
by crusader666
Please bring back the Text Size button. I use this feature often and it is VERY frustrating not to have this button, which is standard for any browser!

Thanks.

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:27 pm
by AXEMAN
Mr ANDERSON said this. I removed the "Text Size" and "Encoding" Buttons, because those two buttons won't work for Orca, and in my opinion those two buttons are less important.


Thanks,

Mr Anderson I am thinking avant/orca should remain as separte browsers for now is this how it is does not appear so everyone chime in please :)

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:39 am
by AcurA
AXEMAN wrote:I am thinking avant/orca should remain as separte browsers for now is this how it is does not appear so everyone chime in please :)
Que?? :wtf:

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm
by mbrazil
abfan123 wrote:
flowrush wrote:
abfan123 wrote:How about creating an auto-execute script that wil automtically increase/decrease the text size?
Look here and copy the script...
Or Avant could simply be modified to remember set text size in previous session?
Per-site basis? Maybe
I don't think that everyone want to globally modify the text size. And if it's possible to create a script then why to wait for this feature to be implemented?
I'd very much like to have the text-size button back, and the ability to assign a text size to be used every time for individual sites would be really great!

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:15 pm
by AcurA
How about a default size for on startup and for all new tabs?
I always resize to medium anyway - for some reason txt size always seem to drop to one below medium for me. :wtf:

Re: v11.7 build 15

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:36 pm
by AcurA
BUMP...