Page 1 of 1

Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:45 pm
by fidi_gz
Hello,

I'm a veteran user of Avant Browser and since a few weeks I've detected that the alpha channel of PNG files doesn´t work well on this great browser.

Before opening a new topic here, I checked the same web site on other browsers (firefox, iexplorer, ...) getting good results for this files. If I try this browser over other PC I obtein the same bad results.

Could you help me?

Here you are a web site I'm building where you can see what I'm talking about.
http://www.vistahermosafs.tk

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:47 pm
by hornakapopolis
Avant uses IE's engine, so that will determine how PNG transparencies will show in Avant. However, it's odd that you're finding differences between Avant and IE... unless you're using IE8, but even IE7 had support.

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm
by fidi_gz
Yeah! You're right. I'm using the last ver of IE, ver 8. That's an awful problem. There's no solution, don't you?

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:57 pm
by hornakapopolis
Are you using addonsfan's IE8 "switcher?" If not, Avant is in IE's IE7 mode, or whatever they call it, but regardless, it seems that even that should be rednering the tranparencies in the PNGs.

Prior to 8, what version of IE were you using?

Also, can your provide a link to a page where this isn't working for you in Avant... and maybe post screenshots, too?

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:50 pm
by statm1
Are you absolutely sure the address is correct, right filename and all? Because this one works fine on the webpage in my copy of Avant: http://vistahermosafs.freeweb7.com/imaxes/marc_2.png It doesnt work as a direct link probably because freeweb has turned off hotlinking. Which means accessing a file from outside your website.

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:24 pm
by HuckFinn
I too have been having this problem. I recently upgraded to AB ver 11.6.11. After noting graphics issues I reverted to previous version of AB but graphics issues still exist. I have no problem with this in either Opera or Firefox but on reading this forum I checked IE7 and the same problem is there as well. IIRC MS released updates for IE7 at about the same time AB11.6.11 was released. I rarely (or never) use IE so didn't catch the connection. AB has been my default browser for quite some time now. I'd like to keep it that way.

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:59 pm
by statm1
To my knowledge.. MS didn't release any changes to the way IE/Avant shows PNGs in IE when we released AB 11.6.

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:56 am
by Jasmine
Cant confirm...PNG files can be shown in my Avant....

----IE8/XP SP2

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 am
by abfan123
Jasmine wrote:Cant confirm...PNG files can be shown in my Avant....

----IE8/XP SP2
Same here (IE8/Vista SP1/Avant is on IE8 Engine)

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:42 am
by josephrot
fidi_gz wrote:Yeah! You're right. I'm using the last ver of IE, ver 8. That's an awful problem. There's no solution, don't you?

IE 8 is nowhere near ready for the mass market, or for what many would term "production" usage.

Especially at this time, fully expect this and related problems in PNG's and other graphics and even a few standards as well.

JR ( another long-term MS tester 104011 )

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:15 pm
by josephrot
If this helps...

In testing various PNG's on web sites as well as on local HDD and calling them into the various browsers, Avant 11.6 B11, Firefox 2 and 3, SlimBrowser, and IE 6 and 7....

Both PNG's with and those without Alpha channel appear as normal, or at least as one would expect them to.

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:14 pm
by HuckFinn
Problem solved :D ,at least for me. My problem was for "all" graphics. Not just PNG. As it turned out I had installed a Bellsouth (now AT&T) disk for dialup access. This disk also installed a program called Propelac (Propel Accelleration) and the dialup won't work without it. It has a setting for graphics and the default was kinda low (for speed). I changed that setting to the best setting and got my graphics quality back. Avant was NOT the culprit after all. Thanks for the job you do and keep up the GREAT work.

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:12 am
by statm1
josephrot wrote:IE 8 is nowhere near ready for the mass market, or for what many would term "production" usage.

Especially at this time, fully expect this and related problems in PNG's and other graphics and even a few standards as well.
Technically, the current release of IE8 was never supposed to be perfect(not that Im implying you said it was), it was just a developer preview, to let the developers test the new engine and be prepared for when its released.

The next release this summer will be a release for everyone else that will include UI changes and bug fixes and improvements on the engine since the beta1.

Re: Problems with my .png files in AB

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:17 am
by josephrot
statm1 wrote:
josephrot wrote:IE 8 is nowhere near ready for the mass market, or for what many would term "production" usage.

Especially at this time, fully expect this and related problems in PNG's and other graphics and even a few standards as well.
Technically, the current release of IE8 was never supposed to be perfect(not that Im implying you said it was), it was just a developer preview, to let the developers test the new engine and be prepared for when its released.

The next release this summer will be a release for everyone else that will include UI changes and bug fixes and improvements on the engine since the beta1.
100% agreed here.

PNG and other oddities are what we all get for wanting to be on the bleeding edge of software and other technology.

Was more wanting to note that IE 8 is FAR from really being usable, stable, or correct in it's various displays and menu functions.