Memory usage is unacceptable!

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

StringFellow
Avant Version:

Memory usage is unacceptable!

Post by StringFellow » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:31 am

I just downloaded 11.5 build 11 and noticed that the memory utilization is unacceptable. Currrently with 5 tabs opened, the avant.exe process is using 106M. :shock: Why is this so high? The release notes for this release stated that memory utilization was addressed.

Is anyone actively looking into reducing the memory utilization for AV?

Unless something is done with memory usage, I will be moving onto other browsers that consume less memory.

-S

blitzmaster
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x86
Avant Version: 11.7 build 26
IE Version: IE 8

Re: Memory usage is unacceptable!

Post by blitzmaster » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:47 pm

hmmm...

using my old P2 acer w/ 256 memory running xp2. i opened 5 tabs all the same (avant forums). what kind of websites are you opening? my experience is that playing at yahoo games 3 tabs open i'm at almost 70Mb.

By Any Means Necessary!

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:11 pm

51 tabs=127MB here.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

avuser
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by avuser » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:18 pm

This has already been confirmed here, although the title says a different version.
XP Pro + SP2
AMD XP 2000+
768 MB RAM
IE 6.0.2900.2180

DutchGemini
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 2000, XP, Vista, 7 (32/64bit)
Avant Version: Always the Latest
Default engine: Chromium
IE Version: 11.0.9600.18282
Skin: Aluminum

Post by DutchGemini » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:26 pm

I have 3 open tabs (this forum, http://WWW.AD.NL and http://WWW.CORRIERE.IT).

The memory is use by AB is 100,204K of Mem Usage and 89,812K of VM Size.

Dutch

DutchGemini
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by DutchGemini » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:28 pm

Killed AB via TaskManager, reopened all the 3 tabs and now it is using 68,220K and 61,716K, respectively.

Still a lot more than the 30Megs given above...

Dutch

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 pm

StringFellow wrote:I just downloaded 11.5 build 11 and noticed that the memory utilization is unacceptable. Currrently with 5 tabs opened, the avant.exe process is using 106M. :shock: Why is this so high? The release notes for this release stated that memory utilization was addressed.

Is anyone actively looking into reducing the memory utilization for AV?

Unless something is done with memory usage, I will be moving onto other browsers that consume less memory.

-S
Although Avant is not an innocent party in all this...

Remember also that the browser process infomation usually also includes whatever memory that the web page(s) in question are demanding, and that will include any or all of the Java, JavaScript, Flash, PHP and etc. that may be called for by the web site or pages in question.

Also, "badly" coded web pages -- say for example those with bad PHP, Java, JavaScript and so forth errors -- can and will most certainly cause memory drains to occur from time to time, especially if the web pages never seem to be "fixed right."
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:55 pm

The amount of RAM a program uses is directly proportional to the amount of RAM in your system up until a certain point. If you only have 256MB of ram like blitzmaster, obviously Avant can't use >100MB of RAM because that is almost half of it. But, if you have 1GB of ram, using >100MB of ram is only 10% of the RAM. All programs will use as much RAM as they need but will be limited by the physical amount and well as the amount of available ram.

With that said, I believe Avant still has a few memory leaks in it's code because at times, the RAM usage keeps rising as it is open longer.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:54 pm

RE: << With that said, I believe Avant still has a few memory leaks in it's code because at times, the RAM usage keeps rising as it is open longer. >>

I tend to agree on the memory-leak being around somewhere in Avant, be it small or large.

The sometimes strange thing is that not every Avant user is seeing such leaking, although that could be chalked up to perhaps their not using a certain feature or part of Avant.

...However, with web apps, they can consume or call for the OS to allocate RAM and resources too.

A little leak there, a little leak here...and pretty soon, you could well have a small flood.
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

StringFellow
Avant Version:

Post by StringFellow » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:04 am

DrDrrae wrote:The amount of RAM a program uses is directly proportional to the amount of RAM in your system up until a certain point. If you only have 256MB of ram like blitzmaster, obviously Avant can't use >100MB of RAM because that is almost half of it. But, if you have 1GB of ram, using >100MB of ram is only 10% of the RAM. All programs will use as much RAM as they need but will be limited by the physical amount and well as the amount of available ram.
Saying a program will use up as much RAM as possible is a statement that just is not true! You are basically saying, the more ram you have, the more memory an application will use. That maybe true as you use the application and run added functionality to the application, but initial use should not.

My 512M system at work today had >100M usage for the new version of Avant....3 tabs, < 30min run time, and nothing special on each tab. Tonight, I have a 2G system with an older version of Avant and it is using <25M. Remember, RAM isn't completely free...windows takes some, email takes some.....soon you have about 1/2 left and then Avant sucks up 100M...something is wrong. If the old version uses <20M and the new version uses >100M, something is wrong with resource allocation or some badly implemented code.

I really think the Avant developers need to address memory issues as a serious issue. Adding content and updating the display is great, but if you introduce high memory utilization and memory leaks, what is the point. At work, I have moved onto another browser with similar functionality at a fraction of the memory utilization (<25M) (and no, it isn't firecrap).

-S

jfs1234
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by jfs1234 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:22 am

I am having the same issue. Since going to 11.5b11 the memory usage is over 100MB with three or four tabs open. With prior version, it never used that much memory even with ten tabs open.

vin!
Avant Version:

Post by vin! » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:11 pm

DrDrrae wrote:The amount of RAM a program uses is directly proportional to the amount of RAM in your system up until a certain point. If you only have 256MB of ram like blitzmaster, obviously Avant can't use >100MB of RAM because that is almost half of it. But, if you have 1GB of ram, using >100MB of ram is only 10% of the RAM. All programs will use as much RAM as they need but will be limited by the physical amount and well as the amount of available ram.

With that said, I believe Avant still has a few memory leaks in it's code because at times, the RAM usage keeps rising as it is open longer.
Avant consumes memory at increasing rate if new page is opened and reduces it at decreasing rate if the same page is closed. There's workaround for this. Minimize Avant for a second if you feel it's running slow and restore/maximize it again. Avant will get rid of unnecessary memory usage! What ya people say???

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:21 pm

I had 3 tabs open and the memory usage was 32568, I then added another 7 tabs and the memory usage is now 34708. I have never had a memory problem. I think a lot of the problems are caused by running Avant continuously without closing down and restarting. When I've finished my internet session I always close down Avant. I think this maybe the difference.
Running AB 11.5 b11, XP/SP2 Home with 1GB memory.

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 am

DutchGemini wrote:Killed AB via TaskManager, reopened all the 3 tabs and now it is using 68,220K and 61,716K, respectively.

Still a lot more than the 30Megs given above...

Dutch
give it a couple of hours, it'll grow. that's what mine does now.

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:04 am

vin! wrote:There's workaround for this. Minimize Avant for a second if you feel it's running slow and restore/maximize it again. Avant will get rid of unnecessary memory usage! What ya people say???
Holy ****! That worked! At least for now.

Not a fix to the memory problems but, like you said, a workaround.

Thank you.

EDIT: It's been 5 minutes or less and it's gone from 68,387K to 101,287K with no additional tabs opened.
Last edited by Bob Loblaw on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:05 am

ABman wrote:I think a lot of the problems are caused by running Avant continuously without closing down and restarting. When I've finished my internet session I always close down Avant. I think this maybe the difference.
I would agree with you if IE or Firefox had the same problems. They don't.

DutchGemini
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Over 800Mb of VM with 2 open tabs

Post by DutchGemini » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:04 am

I was surfing one of Facebook's applications called Zoosk for fun ;-) and was wondering why my PC was spinning its hard drive regularly. Initially I thought it was the antivirus doing a schedule task, but when it continued to repeat itself, I opened Task Manager and I got the answer: AB 11.7b21 was using over 800MB of VM memory. Page file usage is 1.76GB, not so bad.

Every time I refreshed the 10 or so 'Daily Matches', memory continues to increase (between 1K and 6K each time but is never released.

I have now closed all tabs except this one on the forum but AB is not releasing any memory.

No idea if this is a memory leak of if the handles are not properly released.

Could Anderson take a look at it?
Attachments
ABHugeMemoryUsage.png
Over 800MB of VM size