Memory usage/leak (version 11.0 build 5)

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

EricB2
Windows Version: Windows 8 Professional x64
Avant Version: 2013 build 107
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 10
Skin: Aero

Memory usage/leak (version 11.0 build 5)

Post by EricB2 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:24 pm

I have noticed since installing version 11.0 build 5, that when AB is running (generally sitting idle in the task tray), as the day goes on, the VM size used by AB consistently goes as high as 85,xxxk.
Typical use is first thing in the morning open a group of about 30 pages, and scan and close them, then minimize AB to the task tray. Throughout the day 1 will open 1 or more pages doing research, and then close these pages so that AB is running but no pages are open. If I look later in the day, the VM size keeps increasing.

See my post "Processor usage (version 11.0 build 5)" for specifics about the machine configuration.

Thanks,

Eric

avuser
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by avuser » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

I have the same problem, and this issue was present for all versions 10.x that I have used. Currently I am using the latest build, Version 11.0 Build 12 which exhibits this problem as well.

Task Manager by default shows "Mem Usage" and this column seems to be reasonable. However, in Task Manager, go to View-->Select Column, then enable "Virtual Memory Size" and "Thread Count". When you open as many as 16 to 30 tabs, VM Size goes up, as high as 100MB+. Thread count also grows and doesn't seem to go close to the original value after you close all tabs.

After closing some or all tabs, VM Size drops, but not close to the original value, and when you open more tabs, the figure increases. It seems like Avant doesn't release references to closed IE instances, but keeps them in memory. After 3 days, the system becomes slow and the only choice is to restart Avant. Note that "Mem Usage" would still show reasonable memory use, like 10-32 MB, especially that it goes down in size after a while. However, VM Size and Thread count always grows up, seemingly to "infinity".

I hope this is a simple to fix...

My environment:

XP Pro + SP2
AMD XP 2000+
768 MB RAM

Thank you

Don_Reba
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Don_Reba » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:50 pm

Same here. Happens with all versions of Avant. It typically grows to >100MB and does not shrink.

hal35a
Avant Version:

Re: Memory usage/leak (version 11.0 build 5)

Post by hal35a » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:33 pm

I have the same problem. After using the AB for a few hours it slows down and I have to go to another borwser or restart the computer. I only have this problem with AB.

Moved from Unconfirmed to Confirmed. - hornakapopolis

sugarprincess
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.5_21
IE Version: IE6

Post by sugarprincess » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:17 pm

Ever since I upgraded, AB has slowed my browsing to a CRAWL! It seems like every 20 minutes, I have to either restart the browser or restart my system! At times, AB can get up to 70-85% of my system resources! :shock: Add this to the new features and things it messed up from my previous settings, I do not like this version.

diverjerry
Avant Version:

Post by diverjerry » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:04 pm

I have had a lot of CPU issues that I only noticed with V11. I am on build 12. Still have a lot of CPU activity. I have looked around and I have lots of I/O other. It is jumping 5 - 10 thousand at every refresh of taskmgr. I don't know why I have so many thrteads, I guess maybe threads means something different here than they do on a mainframe running CICS? I have a count of 45 threads.

The I/O other is going crazy, but it is not internet traffic, the Networking tab would show that as well as zone alarm.
Thank You
Divejerry aka Divemaster, pigfarmer

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:50 am

Don_Reba wrote:Same here. Happens with all versions of Avant. It typically grows to >100MB and does not shrink.
same here

caref
Avant Version:

Post by caref » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:15 pm

I have the same problem!!!

The VM could go as much as 1GB, and memory increased to 300MB just 10 minutes ago. 50% of the time, I have to use Task manger to kill Avantbrowser to shut it down (part of the reason is because my computer normally is always on :) ).

I am a big fan of Avant and have been using it for more than four years, although one of my coworkers is always trying to pursuade me that Maxthon is better.

For now I am going to stick to Avant for a while to see if anything is going to be done on the memory leaking problem......

StainlessSteelRat
Avant Version:

Post by StainlessSteelRat » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:32 pm

I've had it with Avant unfortunately. I've also spotted the memory leak, couple that with the refresh bug, increasingly poor performance, and the annoying management of favourites now... suffice to say thanks for the nod to Maxthon as I've tried it and it's great!

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:37 pm

Weirdly enough but I could never confirm any memory leak issue even on my old PC.
Memory usage has never went beyong 30-45MB for me with a lot of opened tabs.
"and the annoying management of favourites now" "refresh bug"
What do you mean?

StainlessSteelRat
Avant Version:

Post by StainlessSteelRat » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:50 pm

I was hitting over 500Mb, albeit not as high as 1Gb. I didn't quite twig what was up with my PC until I opened Task Manager. So every few hours I had to exit Avant and reopen.

I'd rather Favourites was not defaulted to a bespoke system for storage. Also as far as I can see I can't export any new added favourites in this bespoke system back to the standard IE favourites system, that is the favourites folder.

I would have much preferred they stick with the old system. I don't see what benefit there was in changing it.

After a few minutes of using Maxthon it seems to be markedly quicker in loading pages, which is kinda odd. Aside from handling tabs.

I ought to say I've loved Avant ever since I first started using it, and it was always far better for me than Firefox, and of course infinitely better than IE (or the horror of IE7). But sometimes it seems progress is not always forwards :(

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:17 pm

StainlessSteelRat wrote:I'd rather Favourites was not defaulted to a bespoke system for storage.
I have to agree here. Especially for people who don't visit this forum. One of the reasons I stay with Avant is that it uses IE favourites so on the very few occasions I use IE all my favourites are there. A user unaware of the change might get a nasty surprise if he then uses IE sometime after updating AB.
Sorry this isn't exactly the right thread for this comment but I just wanted to get it off my chest.

avuser
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by avuser » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:24 pm

To duplicate this problem:

- Set your home page to "Use Blank" in Tools-->Avant Browser Options-->Home Page.
- Close all tabs in Avant and exit. You may want to add all open tabs to a new folder in your bookmarks, such as "Last Used", in case you want to reopen them later after this test.
- Start Avant. It should have no tabs open. If so, close them.
- Make a note of "Mem Usage", "VM Size", and "Threads" in Task Manager.
- Open 20 or more tabs. The easiest way to do this is to go to one of your bookmarks folders and choose "Open All Links in This Folder".
- Wait until all pages are loaded.
- Close all Tabs.
- Repeat opening the same tabs as before with the same bookmarks as before. You will notice that there is a leak in "VM Size" column, which is not shown by default in Task Manager.

Task Manager by default does not show "VM Size" and "Threads" columns. To view them, go to View-->Select Column, then enable "Virtual Memory Size" and "Thread Count".

In my system, the memory leak as reported by "VM Size" is about 2 to 4 MB each time I open and close 20 tabs. As a software developer myself who made IE Addons, I know that Avant keeps copies of IE in memory for performance reasons. The number of copies of IE equals the maximum number of tabs that you have opened since you started Avant. So when you close some tabs and reopen new ones, Avant reuses one of the IE copies so the page loads faster.

I can tell that Avant keeps copies of IE in memory by watching the Thread Count. Each IE copy uses a thread of its own, plus several other threads based on the contents of the page, such as whether the page uses Flash, Java features and so on. The thread count grows to a certain point then stops. When Avant closes a tab, it tells IE to close everything, this reduces thread counts for the extra features, but not the thread used by IE itself. Some of these system resources are not released immediately, but after a timeout, or when you minimize the application, Avant in this case.

The memory leak maybe caused by IE itself rather than Avant, so the author may have to look for a workaround to this problem.

My environment:

Avant 11.0 build 12
IE 6.0.2900.2180

XP Pro + SP2
AMD XP 2000+
768 MB RAM
XP Pro + SP2
AMD XP 2000+
768 MB RAM
IE 6.0.2900.2180

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:37 pm

Can't confirm.
When I don't have any tabs opened,the VM size is always at 4-5MB.
When I open 25 tabs,The VM size is 35-40MB which is ok.
I've tried to close & reopen some 4 times now & always got the exact same results.

Win XP SP2 (I don't have any memory leaks with Windows Vista RC2 as well)
IE7 Final
Intel Pentium D 2.8GHZ
1GB DDR Ram

StainlessSteelRat
Avant Version:

Post by StainlessSteelRat » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:01 am

Perhaps IE7 solves it?... I was using IE6 like the previous poster, and had the memory issue.

StainlessSteelRat
Avant Version:

Post by StainlessSteelRat » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:04 pm

OK, so I've had it with Maxthon. I was getting a major performance issue switching between tabs. Also Maxthon has a propensity to lose all the tabs you had open.

I've gone back to the latest version of Avant and IE7.

The memory leak is definitely still there though (currently using 200Mb of RAM and climbing, with 5 tabs open!... Avant 11.0 Build 25). At least it won't lose all the tabs I have open, or perhaps I'll just have to switch to Firefox 2...

Ilta
Avant Version:

Post by Ilta » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:55 am

Yes, I've noticed this also. This is approaching a deal-breaker for me on this browser, which until now has been great. But sometimes it takes 30 seconds to load TV Guide's schedule ( http://online.tvguide.com/listings/default.aspx )!

Please fix this, Che! We'll love you forever!

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows Vista 64 Bit
Avant Version: Ver. 11.5 Build 21
IE Version: IE 7

Post by Lord Chaos » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:03 am

Yes, this happens in Build 35, it seems that whenever I go above 5 lines of tabs CPU usage will randomly go (and stay) at 60-100%, plus AB will memory leak.

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Lord Chaos » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:46 pm

No, I was a little hasty, its back even with only 5 lines, seems to like doing it when you're swapping in and out of the browser to another game/application.

Had to completely remove AB from several machines and go to FireFox until this is resolved.

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Lord Chaos » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:09 am

Issue still not fixed in build 39