Multiple running avant.exe processes

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

andy2004
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Multiple running avant.exe processes

Post by andy2004 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:45 am

I too have multiple avant.exe running currently, but heres the thing, i got an avant.exe running just after i boot my computer in my process without even running avant <<after its been turned off for 8+ hrs but normally i only have 1, i'm running the latest 11.6 build 19. I just rebooted my computer, ctrl + alt del to bring up process manager and lo and behold avant.exe process running, I used firefox to write this out.

andy2004
Avant Version:

Post by andy2004 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:11 pm

to my previous post, I just used my backup that i made on the 18, it had avant latest build also, but only 1 process, as a note to before i used the recovery image, i just remembered seeing my antivirus popup and tell me that avant.exe was trying to access the internet and to check the firewall that it was allowed, without me trying to run it just after i rebooted.
With the above info, I would say its sounds more like a virus / trojan than a bug in avant.exe, something running avant.exe at boot process, trying to infect the system with another virus.
Cause no matter how many times I tried to stop the single automatic running avant.exe in my process list it would immediately come back.

mdv921
Windows Version: XP-SP2
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7

Post by mdv921 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:20 pm

I too had this problem and no matter how many times I closed out the extra running Avant it would pop back up. I found that I had a trojan running in windows/system32 called nvst.exe. Once I got that removed my extra Avant stopped popping up.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:02 am

andy2004 wrote:I too have multiple avant.exe running currently, but heres the thing, i got an avant.exe running just after i boot my computer in my process without even running avant <<after its been turned off for 8+ hrs but normally i only have 1, i'm running the latest 11.6 build 19. I just rebooted my computer, ctrl + alt del to bring up process manager and lo and behold avant.exe process running, I used firefox to write this out.
Do you mean seeing an Avant.exe running in the task manager even though you didnt start it up?
mdv921 wrote:I too had this problem and no matter how many times I closed out the extra running Avant it would pop back up. I found that I had a trojan running in windows/system32 called nvst.exe. Once I got that removed my extra Avant stopped popping up.
Do you mean seeing two Avant.exe running in the task manager though you only started up one and the extra one would automatically come back after you'd ended it?(Note Avant has a help process named as avant.exe as well to execute some other tasks i.e. sync with the Online Storage Server and the helper would be call back by Avant main program anytime needed)
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

andy2004
Avant Version:

Post by andy2004 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:41 pm

sometime when booting my computer and running the taskmanager aka Ctrl alt del and without running avant.exe I saw avant.exe running in taskmanager, when i tried to close it, it would pop straight back up. I never use the Online Storage Server, I dont think i ever used the helper service either. When i used my backup to go back just 3 days, if fixed the problem, I dont think i had a trojan called nvst.exe in mt system32 folder either. Just updated to the new build 20, and still only 1 avant.exe running.

Butcher_ss
Avant Version:

Post by Butcher_ss » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Same problem/situation here, once i start my pc there is always an avant.exe process even though i never started AB. NOD32 doesn't find anything when i scan my pc.

Butcher_ss
Avant Version:

Post by Butcher_ss » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:12 am

Definitely something going wrong here, after i uninstalled avant browser just to see what would happen, i got a duplicate for iexplore.exe which tells me i must have a virus or trojan here which duplicates the browser process.

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: 10
Skin: default

Post by darth » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Something like this happen to me once I deleted the current version of Avant, I'm using in add/remove. Did'nt delete my config files, I thank you call them. Downloaded the oldest Version I could find on Steven's site. Played around with it(quite snappy by the way) Deleted the old version in add/remove. Re download my curent version. But could not open it, msg said "Avant is currently running. Went to task manager killed "avant.exe. Open Avant with no problems from then on.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits

Butcher_ss
Avant Version:

Post by Butcher_ss » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:21 am

As i said in my previous post, for some reason, whichever was the default browser, it was being duplicated, i had 2 avant.exe when Avant browser was the default, i had 2 iexplore.exe when i uninstalled avant browser and then i had 2 browser.exe when i installed 11.7 alpha2a. After reinstalling windows this is gone now.

andy2004
Avant Version:

Post by andy2004 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:10 am

well upto yesterday i only had 1 browser.exe, but as i needed to use googlemaps i decided to turn on my computer 00:50am and kaspersky told me it found a trojan, and rebooted to remove it, then on booting i found i had a browser.exe running without actually running avantbrowser, so i ran firefox instead to write this, now unlike the previous person, I dont do reinstalls, as it takes to long, I do a backup usually once a week, and therefore i can recover in around 5min, I currently have the latest alpha version installed 11.7 alpha 2a, I havent installed any software 10/07/08 at all, so how i managed to get the trojan in the first place when shutting down is a mystery.