Avant freezes or non responsive on most webpages since 46

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

knightshotter
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11.7 build 46
IE Version: Windows 7

Avant freezes or non responsive on most webpages since 46

Post by knightshotter » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:06 pm

I upgraded to the new build 45 and then 46 and immediately noticed a problem that I will call freezing or nonresponsivenes. I go to a website where i am interacting with a form or web page. The system freezes and I may have to wait 3-5 minutes each time I enter a cell before it accepts it and I can go to the next part of a webform. Also noticing same non responsiveness simply in interacting with any web page.

henrym
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 46
IE Version: 8

Re: Avant freezes or non responsive on most webpages since 46

Post by henrym » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:50 pm

We have a similar problem - the forward and back (green) arrows don't work, links don't work. My wife can't close pages with the cross on the tab (cross on each tab), but I can (cross only on active tab). When can we expect a response from the organisation? Meanwhile I've posted using Firefox, and will try to revert to previous version.

Henry

henrym

Post by henrym » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Update - I've System Restored (and reloaded) Build 43. Now AB uses about 5% of CPU time, as compared to 40% with build 46, on a 2-CPU system

jamiesmithtn
Windows Version: XP Pro
Avant Version: 11.7
IE Version: 7

Post by jamiesmithtn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Similar problem reported here in this post.......
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 21&t=27238

has anyone found a fix or got a response from AB about this issue?

mekd
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by mekd » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 pm

Same here. Avant was always a big CPU consumer. But since built 46 it has become impossible to use. I reverted to built 43.

If I am to point only one new feature version 12 should include I must say better resources handling. That's all.

henrym

Post by henrym » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:20 am

One good feature of AB is that you can keep favourite tabs readily available. The disadvantage is that these tabs are active, and any with processes running (e.g. graphics, fancy smilies, audio, videos, etc...) consume CPU time. It would be better if only the tab being viewed was active, and that the others were inactive so that they did not use CPU time. However, with the current problem is that the same set of tabs used 5% of CPU time with build 43, but 40% with build 46.

This still does not explain why the navigation buttons were not offered, and that there were problems with links, etc.

knightshotter
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11.7 build 46
IE Version: Windows 7

Post by knightshotter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:45 pm

The problem is occuring for those of us here at my home with the very first tab being opened......We are all using Windows 7. This problem is unacceptable. The tab that is open has no special animation, graphics, etc....Just a simple page with 6 fields to enter...You can't even tab to the second field without waiting 4 or 5 or more minutes.....

In my situation, I don't have a bunch of favorites open or multiple webpages open which might be hogging CPU utilization. There must have been something else added to this build to make it almost impossible to use.

mekd
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by mekd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:22 pm

What I find frustrating is that after months of complaining there is no relevant response to this problem here at the forum from Anderson or any other Avant supporting team.

I appreciate the fact that this is a freeware program and no one has any obligation to solve any problem. Though there is a huge community here and avid fans of Avant that would appreciate Anderson addressing this acute problem

shasha
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 22
IE Version: 7

Post by shasha » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Using WinXP SP3 and having the same issue with the first page not being responsive and high CPU usage at times to the point that it freezes. This is build 46.

I'm going to roll back to 45 which was really solid for me.

henrym

Post by henrym » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Trying to help...

At about the time I updated to Build 46, I also updated Adobe Flash and AIR. It is a remote possibility that there has been some interaction between the new Flash and the new AB - old AB adn Flash seem to work OK without excessive CPU consumption.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:10 am

mekd wrote:What I find frustrating is that after months of complaining there is no relevant response to this problem here at the forum from Anderson or any other Avant supporting team.
As the developer is redesigning Avant 12 from scratch and the release date got delayed again and again so that you can't experience the improved features in time, which effectively prevents you from frequently suffering freezing and non-responding browser.