Windows Version: Winodws 10
Avant Version: Version 2016 build
Default engine: chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Aluminum

Drop-down menu does not work

Post by Nomad247 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:43 am

Hi people,
This is probably a "stupid user" question, so bare with me. I have a website that I always have open when on my computer. There are drop-downs at the top that are used to take me to my profile, but in Avant, that one drop-down for going to my profile does not work, but does work in IE. I have gone through all the Avant settings to compare with IE but have not found the reason this 1 single menu does not work. I am using IE for this one purpose. This is the only site I know of that this quirk occurs. The web address is http://www.supportspace.com/. In the lower left corner of Avant, the address appears the same except the is the number sign at the end. In IE, I can hover over this menu, My account", and the drop down appears ans in the lower left coner, the address shows
http://www.supportspace.com/#
http://www.supportspace.com/support/expert#
Have to be signed in for this to work
Drop downs.jpg
Screen shots

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Re: Drop-down menu does not work

Post by Jasmine » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:38 am

The drop down menu appears here. I tested disabling ActiveX stopped it from appearing. Try to uncheck Tools->Disable ActiveX, and remember to reload the page and try again.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Victor Delta
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 10
Avant Version: Ultimate 2019 b2
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE 11
Skin: Office XP

Post by Victor Delta » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:40 am

Hi

I had a similar problem with drop down menus not working on a site I use frequently. Having checked that Java scripting etc was not disabled by security settings (which it wasn't), I then found this http://wiki.avantforce.com/index.php?ti ... ing_Engine.

I tried the site in IE8 compatibility mode and sure enough the menus didn't work. So I then followed the instructions in the link and now the site works fine in Avant.

V

PS Not sure why "By default, Avant uses the Internet Explorer 8 compatibility mode if Internet Explorer 8 is installed and will therefore be recognised as Internet Explorer 7 by websites" but it would be interesting if one of the experts here could kindly explain.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:34 pm

IE 8 has a new compatibility mode which, for all intents and purposes, is a full copy of the IE 7 rendering engine. This compatibility mode, by default, is used by all programs that use the IE rendering engine. It was essentially developed so that old websites developed for IE 7 and before still render correctly when used in the much more standards compliant IE 8.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

Victor Delta
Fan
Fan

Post by Victor Delta » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:53 pm

André

Thanks for that. So if I understand this correctly, currently an undoctored version of Avant (ie no add-ons, registry tweaks etc) will never use the IE8 rendering engine so as to avoid display problems with old websites etc.

I presume that, as time goes by, this policy may change as the IE8 standard becomes more widely adopted...?

V

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 am

Victor Delta wrote: PS Not sure why "By default, Avant uses the Internet Explorer 8 compatibility mode if Internet Explorer 8 is installed and will therefore be recognised as Internet Explorer 7 by websites" but it would be interesting if one of the experts here could kindly explain.
Avant 12 will use IE 8 Rendering Engine by default.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Victor Delta
Fan
Fan

Post by Victor Delta » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks for that. Will Avant 12 also include a 'compatibility' feature so as to avoid, for example, the current display problems with Gmail?

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:12 am

Well, it's not directly a fault of Avant as it is the default behavior that Microsoft decided on. However, Avant, and other pieces of software, can change this by adding an entry to the registry.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:02 pm

André wrote:However, Avant, and other pieces of software, can change this by adding an entry to the registry.
But that is the whole point of Victor Delta's question: "Will Avant 12 also include a 'compatibility' feature so as to avoid, for example, the current display problems with Gmail?"

Will this compatibility mode be included as part of the normal function of Avant 12? Will there be some GUI button, switch, option, or whatever in Avant 12 that let's us switch between IE compatibility modes?

No, we do NOT want to do this by adding entries/hacking the registry. We want to be able to do this as a normal, regular, supported function of Avant browser.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 am

Sorry to be coming to this discussion so late..

Bksening, any normal function of Avant that would be implemented would do the exact same thing as the IE7mode/IE8mode switcher plugin that has been around since IE8 was first in beta. There is no other way of changing the mode that Avant uses. All the plugin does is change a registry value from 7000 to 8000 and back again depending on which mode you want to use.

As of 11.7 Build 45, Avant is now defaulting to IE8 mode at installation. You will need to use the IE Switcher plugin in order for you to avoid the display problem with Gmail but that would involve you having to go back to using the IE7 compat mode. This is a problem on Google's side not ours as they force IE8 users to use the IE7 mode when you use IE8 itself.

I will ask if this plugin can included into Avant 12 as a built in feature. To beable to switch back to IE7 mode if needed.
-- Matt --