Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Win 8.1 64 PC/Win 8. 64 laptop
Avant Version: Both AB Lite 2016 v2
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE 11 on PC and laptop
Skin: Aluminium

Another backward step?

Post by Arandora » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:03 pm

Don't know whether it is a coincidence but I downloaded and installed Version 11.7 b18 on both my laptop and PC last thing yesterday and today the opening of new pages, refreshing existing pages, going to a page from a link in Outlook, in fact the whole browsing experience has been abysmal. When I do any of these things, most of the time my twin CPUs bang up to 100% and stay there until some CPU is finally freed. If I try before it takes its on sweet time, I get "Not Responding". Several times I have had to use Task Manager to end AB and then reload, which is painfully slow.
Anyone else experiencing the same with this release or is it just me? :thumbdown:
Laptop Windows 8.2 64 bit, IE11; PC Win 8.1, IE11. Both AB Lite 2016 b 2 IE Favorites, IE11 Standards rendering engine.

crawdad
Windows Version: Windows XP
Avant Version: 11.7 B18
IE Version: 7.0.5730.13

Re: Another backward step?

Post by crawdad » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:23 pm

I have installed the latest download (this week) and now the browsing experience is in slow motion. Something has gone seriously wrong with this version. I've been loving this browser for months until now.

I'm sure it'll be resovled quickly.

crawdad
Windows Version: Windows XP
Avant Version: 11.7 B18
IE Version: 7.0.5730.13

Post by crawdad » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:40 pm

OK it maybe it's me and my laptop... but after launching Avant Browswer a second time today it seems to be running normally again. Of course this would be after I posted. :-)

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:50 pm

As I am suffering other performance (or non-performance problems :evil: ) on my PC I am doing a complete reinstall of Vista tomorrow. I am going to keep it as lean and clean as possible and initially will only load AB, for browsing, and Office for Outlook as my Email client. I'll see what happens to AB after that and post back.
Initially I was going to say like the previous poster, AB is flying again until in the middle of this reply it locked again. So something is going on. May well be that my Vista install, which has never worked properly on this brand new PC since I got it last July, is the culprit but that doesn't explain the same thing happening on my XP laptop - unless like the previous poster I now go and reboot that and find it is OK. [-o< [-o<
Laptop Windows 8.2 64 bit, IE11; PC Win 8.1, IE11. Both AB Lite 2016 b 2 IE Favorites, IE11 Standards rendering engine.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Hello,
I'll ask the usual question:
Do you have any IE addons enabled in Avant? (Please go to Tools>Avant Browser Options...>Add-ons to find out)
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:58 pm

I have no Add-ons enabled but I have Download with DAP, ieSpell Options, Check spelling, Look up on Merriam Webster and Look up in Wikipedia checked in the IE Context menu, and RoboForm, Freerecorder and Google toolbars checked albei Google still dowes not work proprly as previously posted and included in an Ouststanding Browser Bug report. With the exception of Freerecorder, which is a recent addition, all the others are the same as I have consistently been using trouble free in previous versions of AB upto about V 11 b.7.
At the moment this is what my Task Manager is showing:

It has taken 8 minutes to make this post!

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Can you please try to disable (uncheck) all the toolbars and BHOs and test whether it'll resolve your problem?
Main PC:

daveshrop
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23

Post by daveshrop » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:43 pm

11.7.18 blazing fast here.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:20 pm

OK. Here's what happened.
1. I unchecked all the plug-ins on both my PC and laptop.
2. Closed AB and rebooted.
3. Reopened AB - response times VERY fast, CPUs stable and very low.
4. Checked just the Context Menu items - response times still VERY fast, CPUs stable and very low.
5. Added back the toolbars one by one - response times still VERY fast, CPUs stable and very low UNTIL I added Freerecorder on my PC (which was not on my laptop) and Weather Channel Toolbar on my laptop (which wasn't on my PC) at which point performance all but stopped CPUs straight up to 100%. TUnchecked them both again and performance back up, CPUs back down.
6. However, on both PC and laptop Google search funcion in Google toolbar still misbehaves as previously reported i.e. put a search term in search window, hold Shift and Enter/click to open in new window, works once or at most twice then a Google toolbar error comes up and AB closes or try and put a search term in and it refuses to accept first or subsequent characters until I unload and reload AB then I usually get the error message when I Shift + Enter.
So, I presume the message is I'll have to live without Freerecorder toolbar on my PC (I can use it stand alone in IE7 for when I want to record audio from the internet, say from YouTube) and Weather Channel on my laptop (there are other means I'll use for keeping track of weather) and forget about Google Toolbar until the AB bug is fixed.
Unless you can suggest something else.
Thanks for all the help so far. :)

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:30 pm

I can't seem to confirm the problem.
Please make sure that you've checked the toolbar and both BHOs (Notifier & helper)
Also, My Google toolbar's version is 5.0.2124.2070
If you have an older version, Please try to update to the latest version and try again. Before upgrading, It's recommended to disable it in Avant and re-enable once installed.

EDIT
Oh, Sorry, I was just able to reproduce the problem, But after 7th attempt or so.
If you'd like to open the search results in a new tab then please go to the toolbar's settings and select to open search results in a new window.
Main PC:

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:03 pm

I was on Version 4, upgraded to latest Version Version: 5.0.2124.2070/en-GB (GGLJ)
Notifier Version: 0.0.0.0 which had Open Search in New Window set as Default and problem appears to have been solved.
Thank you so much and apologies to AB :oops:
I am now very much an abfan123 Fan!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I will install V5 on my PC after reinstalling Vista and see if Freerecorder will work with it and do same with Weather Channel on my laptop. If not I am back to where I was under AB V 11.6 and hopefullywill now get for the first time the benefits of V 11.7
Thanks again
Hope my Vista reinstall cures my other more fundamental PC ills - but that's another day! :thumbup:

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:46 pm

Thats something I am now very much an abfan123 Fan!!!
LOL LOL LOL .I am glad the problem was solved i was starting to second guess myself.LOL :thumbup: