Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Win 8.1 64 PC/Win 8. 64 laptop
Avant Version: Both AB Lite 2016 v2
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE 11 on PC and laptop
Skin: Aluminium

AB won't show toolbar

Post by Arandora » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:07 pm

I have just downloaded and installed FreeRecorder Toolbar. It has installed successfully in Internet Explorer but I cannot get it to show in AB. It is enabled under AB Add Ons and ticked under View, Toolbars. Any suggestions to rectify this please?
Laptop Windows 8.2 64 bit, IE11; PC Win 8.1, IE11. Both AB Lite 2016 b 2 IE Favorites, IE11 Standards rendering engine.

daveshrop
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: 8

Re: AB won't show toolbar

Post by daveshrop » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Some Toolbars do not work in Avant,that is no doubt, one of them.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:40 pm

This is bizarre! When I rebooted my PC today it still wasn't there. After refreshing all my open windows, it has appeared - but my RoboForm toolbar which has been a permanent trouble free add-on in both IE and AB has disapperared from AB but not IE has gone???!!! Both are enabled under AB Add-ons and both are ticked under View, Toolbars. What's going on?????? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Laptop Windows 8.2 64 bit, IE11; PC Win 8.1, IE11. Both AB Lite 2016 b 2 IE Favorites, IE11 Standards rendering engine.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:14 pm

System Restore did not restore the settings to show RoboForm so I reinstalled it. Initially it installed it but at the bottom of window and I coulds not shift it (which on searching find that this also a problem other RoboForm users have experienced. However, when I refreshed a window, the RoboForm toolbar disappeared again. When I unticjed View, Toolbars, FreeRecorder nothing happened. When I unticked View, Toolbars, RoboForm (still checked) the FreeRecorder toolbar disappeared!!!
So I restored AB's default settings, followwing procedure previously advised by Addonsfan, enabled RoboForm and toolbar rfeapperaed but FrreRecorder won't. So, thankfully, I am now back in the position I was this morning with RoboForm, which is vital to me, working and visible and FreeRecorder lurking somewhere in the background in AB but not showing but both showing and working in IE7.
That's where I'll leave it I think until anyone comes up with a solution. (I'm not holding my breathg as I think this is oner of the very frustrating AB quirks that isn't high on our worthy developers list to get sorted! :(

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:25 pm

The problem is that Avant's interface is totally different from Internet Explorer. IE toolbars are designed to work in IE, not Avant so it's no surprise that many of them simply do not work. It's not as easy as you seem to think to get other toolbars to work in Avant. Many of them need the cooperation of the toolbar developer to get working correctly which is usually hard to come by.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:47 pm

I don't know whether it is easy or not. I'm not that expert! However, for an IE based browser, and in the absence of VERY EXPLICITY warnings to the contrary there is a not unreasonable assumption on the part of users that toolbars that work in IE will work in AB.The fact that they used to but don't now (like Google Toolbar or RoboForm and RoboForm toolbar in my case) is, as I said, very frustrating. A warning in Tools, AB options that an IE plug-in "may result in a fatal program error" is, in my view, not a satisfactory advisory nor is it in an appropriate place. It smacks of "try it and if it works, great, if it doesn't well we did warn you!"
Well, for that warning to be effective, it should be upfront wherever/whenever there is a download, whether it's a new user (especially if it is a new, unused to AB user who may soon be quicly disillusioned from his/her expectations) or, like me a totally committed AB user and supporter
Yes, show AB's strengths but don't let users struggle so much in finding its deficiencies.
Didn't want to start a discussion here as there is a separate forum for that and perhaps the thread should be moved there....
... but please not unttil someone has offered either a solution or said sorry there isn't one to your problem, in which caseit's a bug report!

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:39 am

Well, after a good night's sleep - both me and my PC - when I rebooted this morning, AB showed both toolbars! #-o :thumbup:
(Bear in mind I rebooted several times yesterdayu with no effect!)