flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Login prompt causes browser freezeup

Post by flowrush » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:36 am

I get this recurring situation where when I am prompted to login to a site (ie http://www.terrastack.com) and I close the login box with the [x] instead of hitting ok or cancel- the browser locks up and if I click anywhere inside the browser I just get a windows 'bump' sound, something you would get say if you open the Avant browser options and try to click outside of it. It's as if the login prompt dissapears from view but is still active and cannot be remedied without closing Avant altogether via the tray icon. Then if Avant saves the session I am usually able to close that specific tab out before this problem occurs or the browser just crashes and I can uncheck the tab from the restore session screen.

Kevin872
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Login prompt causes browser freezeup

Post by Kevin872 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Sounds like one of the oldest Avant bugs around, and one which apparently will never get fixed. Honestly, it's the one thing that really drives me nuts about this program! Assuming it's the same one I am thinking of, where the login prompt kind of half disappears / goes invisible and basically locks up the browser. There is a workaround (to rename the Avant EXE to iexplore.exe, if I recall correctly) but it must be done after every Avant update and you need to adjust your shortcut. Personally, if I will be using a site that causes this lockup, I just use IE instead.

Although honestly, I thought this was a pretty well-known and complained about problem way back... it just never got fixed. Really a shame because like I said, it's about the only complaint I have about this program.