How to stay in the current tab?

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

noraretied
Windows Version: XP2
Avant Version: 11.5 B 21
IE Version: IE7

How to stay in the current tab?

Post by noraretied » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:19 am

How to prevent avant from activate the new opend tab and just stay in the current tab?

Noyb
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro - up to date
Avant Version: 11.7 B23
IE Version: I.E. 7

Re: How to stay in the current tab?

Post by Noyb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:23 am

Hi there,
You can do that by going to Tools, and unchecking "Open New Pages in the Foreground".

And, welcome to the AB forum! :)
Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz processor, Intel Pentium 4 Duo-core 3 GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP Home, Pro - Service Pack 3
Avant Browser 11.7 Build 23
Internet Explorer 7
AVG Antivirus Free Edition 8.0
Windows Firewall

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:54 pm

If it's opening a new tab when you left click a link, then it's probably the page that is coded to open that link in a new tab/window. Avant should only be opening new tabs when you hold Shift, Ctrl, dragging the link, middle-clicking, otherwise, it should be behaving the same as IE in regards to clicking links on pages.

If the page is coded that way, though, you can drag the link to the current tab.

noraretied

Post by noraretied » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Well, when I disabled the "open new pages on background" some thing else came up, there is a site i usaly pass by for a while and the links on that site used to open a POP UP window "actually it open a new tab but the focus goes to the Pop up" and when i finish with the pop up window and close it the "new tab" closed auto, and the focus returns to the site. now i have to go to the new tab to show the pop up, and later to close the new tab and return to the site.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:44 pm

I'll admit that I'm not completely understanding what you're talking about. When you described how the site used to work, are you talking about in Avant or IE? Avant (generally) doesn't allow popups in a new instance of Avant. Everything is contained within Avant, so popups would be opening as a new tab.

I'm not sure what you mean in your last sentence. Maybe a link to the site you're describing would help? Or a PM with the link if you'd prefer to not share it publicly.

noraretied

Post by noraretied » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:29 am

Dear Sir, it is AVANT Browser what I am talking about not IE.
The site i talked about, I use it to search for a specific items (within the site), the list generated as a linked titles, each title has a pop up window contains a details of that title with no further links in the pup up window (means it leads to no where, just details of he clicked title), but the pop up window used to take the focus automatically.
Now I have to click in the title of the new opened tab to move focus to the pup up window (The new tab it work just as a "switch key" means it has nothing and do nothing except when i click it's title it move the focus to the pop up), and when i close the pop up window the focus goes to the next tab in the sequence ( if any one opened ).
NOTE: the links in the site open one by one not possible to open multi links from that site as background tabs, when i try that, the new link replace the previous one.
Hope this make the subject i am talking about clear.
With all my respect and regards.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Can you post the URL of the site in question please because I can't understand what you're saying.

noraretied

Post by noraretied » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:45 am

Well sir please find bellow the URL for the mentioned site and followed by the page of list i talked about.

http://www.jobs-me.com
http://www.jobs-me.com/jobsearch.asp

Try to :
  • Enable the "open new pages in the foreground" and click in any "view Detail"
    Disable The "open new pages in the foreground" and click in any "view Detail" again
Try the above while the list page at the end of the opened-tabs sequence and while it is in the mid of the sequence.

With regards.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:47 pm

Well, for me, turning off Tools -> Open New Pages in the Foreground prevents Avant from activating the popup's tab when it is opened. If that's not happening for you, then there's probably a corruption in Avant's configuration file. Since this is what was initially answered, maybe that's the case.

In your next post, you said that "something else" popped up, but I don't think that "something else" was ever adequately described. You stressed "POP UP window," so I got the feeling you were looking for a new window, which I then explained Avant doesn't do in this case. In the same post, though, you said, "now i have to go to the new tab to show the pop up, and later to close the new tab and return to the site." So, to me, it sounded like it was doing what you wanted, but that now that isn't what you wanted. I was confused, though, by you saying that you had to go to the new tab to show it and then go to the new tab to close it. If you were already there to "show it," why would you have to go there again to close it?

Could any of this confusion be caused by the fact that this site has created a parent-child relationship to its page and popups? The site is coded so that only one popup is ever created. If you click View Detail for one job, it creates a popup. If you leave that popup open and click another job, it won't create a new popup. The new job will load in the current popup. This might not have been noticed before in IE, though, because the behavior was probably to click the View Detail, read the popup since it was opened right in front of you, close it to go back to the main IE window, and then click another.

If your goal now, though, is to open a bunch of these links at once in different tabs, there's no easy way to do that... of which I know. You could go to the original tab, right-click on the tab itself and choose Duplicate. This will create a new tab with the contents of the original "child" tab. The new links will still open in the "child" tab, but you can keep duplicating those tabs as you wish.

However, I realize that you made no mention of wanting to do this, so I realize that this explanation is probably for nothing.

noraretied

Post by noraretied » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:46 pm

Well sir, thank you for help and sorry for bothering you in such mean-less matter maybe i wasted your time, although the explanation you just favored, is very generous, and so close to the point, on the other hand i am sorry that my mother tongue isn't the English, the way i explained my point was the best i could write to explain it and seem i failed to do so.

with my respect.
Thanks.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Oh... well, I didn't mean for that to come off as rude. I was more concerned that you'd read that entire post and think, "That's nothing at all what I was looking for!" :lol:

If it is, then I guess I was reading the right things into your posts. A language barrier is a language barrier. No need to feel apologetic about it. ;)

To be clear, though, do you consider your problem fixed?