Export Bookmarks not sorted right

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

GeneWald
Windows Version: xp sp2
Avant Version: 11.6.19
IE Version: 7.0

Export Bookmarks not sorted right

Post by GeneWald » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:15 pm

I have used Avant for quite a while now, and think it is one of the best IE replacements around, but... One thing that bothers me is that when I export the bookmarks to an html file (File -> Export Bookmarks) the resulting html file is not sorted in any way. Well, to be accurate, it probably is sorted, but the logic behind the sort is not obvious. It is not in the order they appear in the Bookmarks dropdown menu, nor is it in the order that you can put them in when you do an "Organize" (Bookmarks -> Oragnize Bookmarks). The resulting html file also contains some meta data about each bookmark: add_date, last_visit, and last_modified, but these are all set to "0000000000" so that gives no clue. Does anyone know how to sort these in some logical manner?
~Geno

adli89
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Build 7
IE Version: 8

Re: Export Bookmarks not sorted right

Post by adli89 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:50 am

I also noticed that. However when you import it back into Avant it will get sorted back well.. I also dunno how to sort the bookmarks in the html file, but it's working fine when imported back into Avant though. ;)

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:19 am

I tihnk the "00000..." entires were added to get AVant's exported file to import into IE, which was initially a problem.

Personally, my HTML file is sorted the same as my bookmarks in the menu. Most of mine are alphabetized, but some are organized in a "handier" manner. These show up the same in ym HTML file.

adli89, the bookmarks, once in the HTML file, can't be sorted since that is a static file created, just like a standard webpage.

adli89
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Build 7
IE Version: 8

Post by adli89 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 am

hornakapopolis wrote:... adli89, the bookmarks, once in the HTML file, can't be sorted since that is a static file created, just like a standard webpage.
I know, I'm telling the thread starter that I dunno how to sort it except avant browser itself sorts it anyhow..

GeneWald
Windows Version: xp sp2
Avant Version: 11.6.19
IE Version: 7.0

Post by GeneWald » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:08 pm

The sorting of the links in the output html file is not really a big issue, but from time to time I export the bookmarks to this file and then actually create a link to that location in my bookmarks. This gives me a quick way to pull up all bookmarks and do a "find" to locate a lost bookmark (I have several hundred, and my filing technique is never perfect). Sometimes I only have part of the addess to refer to, or I am looking to see if I have other pages in the same site saved.
~Geno