Moderators: André, AvantGuard

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Help recovering bookmarks & groups, please

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:35 am

When v11 came out I installed it new rather than upgrading (the reason isn't important). I'm now running 11.5 b11 and would like to combine the bookmarks & groups but I can't figure out how to do it. The files seem to be different formats starting w/ version 11.

Can anyone help?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

hornakapopolis 9400

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 pm

When Avant 11.0 ran for the first time, it should have automatically imported your IE Favorites and your Groups from Version 10 and below into its new Bookmarks system, creating a folder for the Groups.

If not, try going to File -> Import -> Groups from the Old Version of Avant Browser to import your Groups.

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Re: hornakapopolis 9400

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:01 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:When Avant 11.0 ran for the first time, it should have automatically imported your IE Favorites and your Groups from Version 10 and below into its new Bookmarks system, creating a folder for the Groups.

If not, try going to File -> Import -> Groups from the Old Version of Avant Browser to import your Groups.
The only Import options are "user data from other account" and "RSS feeds from the old version of Avant browser". When I click to import the user data there are 2 radio buttons. One for online storage & one for local Avant browser profile BUT it will not let me select the local option (it is greyed out). :(

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:53 pm

Using the old Avant Tip, I'd check to see if you still have a groups.dat file in the old Avant App Data folder.

If you do, you can then use abfan123's Groups2Bookmarks utility to convert that file.

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:10 am

hornakapopolis wrote:Using the old Avant Tip, I'd check to see if you still have a groups.dat file in the old Avant App Data folder.

If you do, you can then use abfan123's Groups2Bookmarks utility to convert that file.
Thank you. I have to convert each group to captor files one at a time (!!)so it's slooooow but it works. 8)

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Using the Groups2Bookmarks program?

I haven't used it, but I find it odd that abfan wuld set it up like that. Maybe he'll see this thread and offer a faster method.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:34 pm

CaptorGroup format is the format used by the NetCaptor browser and Avant is able to import this file.
Unfortunately,CaptorGroup format is only able to export 1 group per file.
You may import all groups/selected groups,But just to the bookmarks importable HTML file,Not CaptorGroups.
If you're currently using the IE favorites and just want to move your groups from 10.x to 11.x,Just copy the groups.dat file from %appdata%/avant browser into %appdata%/avant profiles/YourProfile (Change YourProfile with your email address if you use the online storage feature or .default if you don't.)
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.