upset & need help with 11.5 build 8 vs 11.0 build 46

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

sls5s
Avant Version:

upset & need help with 11.5 build 8 vs 11.0 build 46

Post by sls5s » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:07 am

I am having this same problem everytime I update the avant browser. I loose all my bookmarks and also my autofills. I wish like the other browsers, it will do the updates w/o loosing everything. Now I am having trouble finding all of my bookmarks and also my autofills w/o going back and trying to remember everything...can someone please help me asap...thanks... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I've edited the font size and emphasis of your post. - hornakapopolis

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:20 am

Are you using online storage? Was Avant closed when you updated?

sls5s
Avant Version:

Re: upset & need help with 11.5 build 8 vs 11.0 build 46

Post by sls5s » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:03 am

no, i was not using the online storage, i shouldn't have to in order to keep my updates, you dont have to do this with the other browsers... :? :cry:

Ardwych
Banned
Banned
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Ardwych » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:56 pm

[Lose. You lose your wallet; you loosen nuts on bolts. :) ]

This suggests a very disrespectful aspect of behavoiur in Avant whenever we upgrade a version - many of us run the browser with a number of tabs open but when we run an install and restart, the previously saved session is entirely lost! We lose the last session!

Is it just me or is it an instance of thinking 'inside the square'..?

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:23 pm

When the basic browser coding changes, as has happened recently, there is no way to ensure saving a session unless you save the sites in a folder under Bookmarks.

Sara :D

Ardwych
Banned
Banned
Avant Version:

Post by Ardwych » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Why, Sara? Why should a coding change make it impossible for a session to be saved? It's just data, it's user's data that should be preserved before a new null set is written. And, it's just courtesy.

Programming is programming; we can make these things do anything.

It's a severe case of 'inside the square' to me. There's been a hellava lot of upgrades since the first edition of AB.

BTW, where's a kind warning presented to upgrading users in the notes, FAQ or Help? Nowhere I can see. Do it for the joy it brings, eh?

____
AND, what's this My Account nonsense?

I just tried Switch Account on the File menu; Pow! went my browsing, tabs and all, and up came a totally new session of AB, single new home tab - all past tabs completely lost!
Tried to revert with Switch Account again: nothing!
Session, tabs lost.
In the Help? Not likely..

What gives with this program?

C-O-U-R-T-E-S-Y.
It's practised up there in the north, is it not?
Sheesh! :x

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:47 am

Ardwych wrote:C-O-U-R-T-E-S-Y.
I would say yes, since there's about 100,000 posts here all from volunteers. Let's get it running in both directions, all right?

gahpah
Avant Version:

11.5, build 8 Problem auto loading when start comuter

Post by gahpah » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:15 pm

I updated 11,build 46 to 11.5, build 8 and had problems with Avant not auto starting when I started my computer even tho I had the exe in the start menu. I had to start Avant manually. In order to load web sites I had to check file and click start a new avant browser. I then had two avant browser tray icons, one didnt work and the later loaded one did.
I uninstalled the new version and reinstalled 11, build 46 and Avant works fine.
I have windows xp sp2, internet exlorer.
Last edited by gahpah on Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ardwych
Banned
Banned
Avant Version:

Post by Ardwych » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:47 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:I would say yes, since there's about 100,000 posts here all from volunteers. Let's get it running in both directions, all right?
What's that you're saying, Horny?
I say it's discourteous for a programmer to ignore users' data - and you say it's discourteous of me to mention courtesy?
:o

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Ardwych wrote:Why, Sara? Why should a coding change make it impossible for a session to be saved? It's just data, it's user's data that should be preserved before a new null set is written. And, it's just courtesy.

Programming is programming; we can make these things do anything.

It's a severe case of 'inside the square' to me. There's been a hellava lot of upgrades since the first edition of AB.

BTW, where's a kind warning presented to upgrading users in the notes, FAQ or Help? Nowhere I can see. Do it for the joy it brings, eh?

____
AND, what's this My Account nonsense?

I just tried Switch Account on the File menu; Pow! went my browsing, tabs and all, and up came a totally new session of AB, single new home tab - all past tabs completely lost!
Tried to revert with Switch Account again: nothing!
Session, tabs lost.
In the Help? Not likely..

What gives with this program?

C-O-U-R-T-E-S-Y.
Your post, and many of your other ones are laced with attitude, not explanation. At the very least, it doesn't even follow our rule about posting one topic per thread... and it's not even your thread. The only reason you're receiving responses is courtesy. That first post was my polite way of saying work on it when you post here.

Show your complaints about Avant all your want. Complain about bugs, complain about new features, complain about features being removed, I don't care. Just do it respectfully. If you feel like you can't post without the attitude then either take a class on it or refrain from posting. If you don't want to refrain on your own, then I can do it for you.

I've addressed this in another post. If you have read that one already, then the same thing applies if you'd care to continue this conversation. There shouldn't be a need to add it to every thread in which you've posted.

gahpah
Avant Version:

Post by gahpah » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:14 pm

Please respond to my inquiry dated June 18. As stated, i upgraded from 11,build 46 to 11.5 build 8 and the program will not load from the start menu. It must be loaded manually and unless I reload by clicking file and start new browser, Avant will not load any website page. I have windows xp sp2, internet explorer.
I would appreciate a response as a later post was answered with no response to my inquiry.
Thanks

gregg57
Avant Version:

Post by gregg57 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:43 pm

The upgrade is a disaster!!! I've just lost all my bookmarks, URL aliases and autofills! This really is ridiculous... every other program I have updated in the past saves the settings from previous versions.

There is no mention on the download page...well no highlighted message that I saw, that mentions you LOSE ALL YOU DATA with the upgrade.

I've been using AB for years now and love it and have taken all the upgrades and I don't remember this happening before!!!

I'm really annoyed!!! I literally have to go and try and remember 50 autofills now..some passwords were random numbers and letters...so I'm really stuck!

The least you could do is make it abundantly clear that this is an issue with the upgrade.

Is there any way to recover this data??? If I switch back to an earlier version will it pick up whatever file was there??

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:15 pm

Have you tried File->Import?

Sara :)

gregg57
Avant Version:

Post by gregg57 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Well my faith is restored..almost! :lol:

Yes file Import has worked but it has created another level in that I have to click Autofill/From Local and then the autofill to activate it.

I've tried Organize Autofills and show all bookmarks under this folder (this folder being the autofills folder). It does show them altogether in the pop up but when I go back to the browser, they are still in the local folder.

Any idea on that?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:53 pm

When you're in Organize AutoFills, select all of them (click the first, scroll down using the scroll bar, hold Shift, and click the last), and then drag them to the left to the top-level AutoFills folder.

The import places them in a folder of their own in case you have other AutoFills. The same thing happens when you import bookmark files.

Are you using online storage now? It seems that that's the only way it would allow you to import them from your local account. Otherwise, your local account should have already been there or completely lost.

Were you using a local profile before in the previous version?

PatG
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by PatG » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:33 pm

Just another helpful hint: Before doing ANY upgrade of a program, I always backup the program, even Avant. Then is something goes awry, save myself a lot of time / frustration / anger by just restoring that particular file/program. Works every time! :)
AB 11.0 build 46 (to stay for a while) on XP Pro SP2

gregg57
Avant Version:

Post by gregg57 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Yeah I am using online storage now so it should be fine. Also your solution fixed the autofill issue....so all is good!!

While I do agree that it might be 'best practice' to do a backup, I have literally installed hundreds of programs and upgrades over the years...none of which have ever caused me to lose info like this. I'm not sure most people would know how to do a backup even...so it boils down to having some clear indication that the issue may arise with Avant and attaching instructions on how to backup.

Thanks a lot for your help tho...its been really useful and is great to know that this forum is here!!

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:24 am

From most posts on this, I think what is happening is that users had been using their local profile with 11.0 and then sign-up for online storage with 11.5. (I'm not sure if the online storage prompt was made more apparant with this version or what.) Then, when they've signed up for online storage, they start off with a blank profile... no AutoFills, bookmarks,, aliases, etc.... and believe they've lost all of their data.

We have posts that refute this, but some of those posts post screenshots showing they're using online storage when they say they weren't.

shagz7
Avant Version:

Post by shagz7 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:59 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:From most posts on this, I think what is happening is that users had been using their local profile with 11.0 and then sign-up for online storage with 11.5. (I'm not sure if the online storage prompt was made more apparant with this version or what.) Then, when they've signed up for online storage, they start off with a blank profile... no AutoFills, bookmarks,, aliases, etc.... and believe they've lost all of their data.

We have posts that refute this, but some of those posts post screenshots showing they're using online storage when they say they weren't.
I know this was the case with myself. I just upgraded to 11.5 (i typically upgrade each time i get a prompt about a new version) and don't have to worry about importing anything cause it is always there. I am assuming from what you're saying that the problem may be caused from the switching from local autofill/bookmark/etc storage to online storage and not the switch to the new version.

In any case, I was able to re-import my autofills (bookmarks were still intact) by going to: File > import > user data from another account > From my local Avant Browser profile.
Originally I was searching for a file to copy from the profile folder or program files folder, but this is much easier!

When I upgraded there was a little box which popped up in the foreground when I started the browser which asked about using the online storage, I decided I would try it. That's my story.

I'm a happy camper now. I fell in love with the browser a few years ago and have been converting people ever since! Thanks for your time and effort Horn and sara and everyone else!!! :D :D :D