New version of Avant not working....

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

hbzadeh1
Avant Version:

New version of Avant not working....

Post by hbzadeh1 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:01 pm

I just installed the new version of Avant. But it doesn't work: "The page cannot be displayed". I carried out the tips given in the page. Still no use. I have no problem using IE or other mail or browser tools. So what's wrong? Can I go back to an earlier version? How? It was working well in previosu versions.

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro, Vista, Win 7
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46SR
IE Version: 8.0.7600.3865

Post by KY Dave » Fri May 04, 2007 3:45 pm

You might try giving Avant access to the internet through your firewall. Some firewalls require each version of a program be approved.
KY Dave

Family Blog

hbzadeh1
Avant Version:

Re: New version of Avant not working....

Post by hbzadeh1 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:35 am

Thanks for the tip. Alas still no use. I did give access to the new version in Firewall, but no change. I event urned off Windows Firewall, but it didn't help either. Is it possible to go back to an ealier version of Avant?

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Sat May 05, 2007 10:42 am

hbzadeh1 wrote:Thanks for the tip. Alas still no use. I did give access to the new version in Firewall, but no change. I event urned off Windows Firewall, but it didn't help either. Is it possible to go back to an ealier version of Avant?
An earlier version of Avant isn't the problem or cure.

You have a settings issue, likely between your firewall, and Avant, or between another protection software that you have running and Avant.

Very common for most any application that accesses the Internet, and the version or something major changes, will tick off the firewall. Enough so that the firewall access must be re-allowed, and that may well be the issue here.

Forgot to ask earlier... what firewall and version of it are you using?
Last edited by josephrot on Sat May 05, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat May 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Was there a new answer there? :?

Info on older versions can be found in this thread.

There a re a few firewalls out there that we have experienced that block even after their uninstalled. Have you ever used a firewall besides Windows'? ZoneAlarm and another that I can't think of the name right now is known to do this.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Sat May 05, 2007 1:29 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:Was there a new answer there? :?

Info on older versions can be found in this thread.

There a re a few firewalls out there that we have experienced that block even after their uninstalled. Have you ever used a firewall besides Windows'? ZoneAlarm and another that I can't think of the name right now is known to do this.
Only answer is sometimes for the end-user to use the software properly...including firewalls, or perhaps try another one if at all possible.

Among the have-used firewalls... AVG, CA, Jacso, Webroot, Ashampoo, ZoneAlarm, MS's pathetic loser one, Kaspersky's, Norton's, Symantec's.

Currently, have found good fortune with... AVG's, Webroot's and Ashampoo's firewalls, based on safety, effectiveness, they protect both incoming and outgoing, and they place a minimal load on the systems, too.

Come to think of it... we did see one firewall that stayed put or active even after it was removed...might have been Symantec's one, but not real sure of that. Talk about your staying power(!)

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat May 05, 2007 1:59 pm

My point, josephrot was "Was there anything new you were adding?" Your post recommended the same thing KY Dave recommended. And when the poster asked for something else, you told him that that wasn't a fix. Okay, that's great, but that's what the poster wanted.

If someone here gets tired of troubleshooting and wants to revert, we don't withhold the information until we accomplish what we want to accomplish.

Actually, reading your posts, I'm getting the idea that you don't read other replies, you just read the original post and then answer. That would explain why you duplicated the first response and then posted this..
josephrot wrote:Come to think of it... we did see one firewall that stayed put or active even after it was removed...might have been Symantec's one, but not real sure of that. Talk about your staying power(!)
"Come to think of it"... :?: :!: It was in the post right above yours! Sheesh...

hbzadeh1
Avant Version:

Post by hbzadeh1 » Sat May 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for all your tips. It is now resolved. I had to give access using my Norton firewall - and now it works.

With thanks to you all.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Sat May 05, 2007 5:41 pm

There is no need to run more than one Firewall--and it can lead to problems if they are at odds. I use the free Zone Alarm, which checks things inbound and outbound, which the Window's one doesn't) and have never had trouble. It always asks permission when I upgrade, I've never had it block (at least not since one really bad build some time ago).

Sara :)

daveshrop
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: 8

Post by daveshrop » Sat May 05, 2007 5:52 pm

Must agree Zone Alarm FW excellent,only reason i changed to Sunbelt Kerio was because i can specify exact ports on eMule.
It also deals with incoming & outgoing traffic.

obsolum
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 26
IE Version: IE8

Post by obsolum » Sat May 05, 2007 6:38 pm

Sara wrote:which checks things inbound and outbound, which the Window's one doesn't)
What does the Windows Firewall block then, exactly? In XP I've got a seperate firewall which has always done a fabulous job, but in Vista I haven't bothered to install one and I use the Windows one. So far I haven't had any malware or virus issues, but then again I use my common sense when surfing the web and don't visit any suspicious sites. I doubt I would have any problems if I used no firewall at all.

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro, Vista, Win 7
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46SR
IE Version: 8.0.7600.3865

Post by KY Dave » Sat May 05, 2007 6:48 pm

daveshrop wrote:Must agree Zone Alarm FW excellent,only reason i changed to Sunbelt Kerio was because i can specify exact ports on eMule.
ZoneAlarm Help File wrote:Blocking and unblocking ports
ZoneAlarm security software's default security levels determine which ports and protocols are allowed and which are blocked. If you are an advanced user, you can change the definition of the security levels by changing port permissions and adding custom ports.
ZoneAlarm is highly customizable if you know how...
obsolum wrote:
Sara wrote:which checks things inbound and outbound, which the Window's one doesn't)
What does the Windows Firewall block then, exactly? In XP I've got a seperate firewall which has always done a fabulous job, but in Vista I haven't bothered to install one and I use the Windows one. So far I haven't had any malware or virus issues, but then again I use my common sense when surfing the web and don't visit any suspicious sites. I doubt I would have any problems if I used no firewall at all.
XP's Firewall ONLY blocked inbound traffic. I don't have VISTA installed yet, but I'm guessing it does the same. There can be requests for communication links, probing for open ports, all kinds of stuff coming from anywhere on the internet.

With NO FIREWALL, hackers can probe your PC, find a weakness and steal data without you knowing it. I HIGHLY recommended that you don't try that.
KY Dave

Family Blog

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Sat May 05, 2007 6:57 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:My point, josephrot was "Was there anything new you were adding?" Your post recommended the same thing KY Dave recommended. And when the poster asked for something else, you told him that that wasn't a fix. Okay, that's great, but that's what the poster wanted.

If someone here gets tired of troubleshooting and wants to revert, we don't withhold the information until we accomplish what we want to accomplish.

Actually, reading your posts, I'm getting the idea that you don't read other replies, you just read the original post and then answer. That would explain why you duplicated the first response and then posted this..
josephrot wrote:Come to think of it... we did see one firewall that stayed put or active even after it was removed...might have been Symantec's one, but not real sure of that. Talk about your staying power(!)
"Come to think of it"... :?: :!: It was in the post right above yours! Sheesh...
I tend to read as much as I need to, and usually that means starting from the earliest and reading onwards.

I tend to try to cut-to-the-chase sometimes...for better or worse.

RE: << Come to think of it... we did see one firewall ... >>

I meant that reply meaning to be in agreement with you, that as you did, we also saw that same thing happen here.

Happy to see that the problem was rectified, sometimes those firewalls work too good.

Kudo's to hbzadeh1 for staying with it, and thank you for reporting back what the culprit was.
Last edited by josephrot on Sun May 06, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daveshrop
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: 8

Post by daveshrop » Sat May 05, 2007 7:06 pm

KYDave, Dont get me wrong eMule worked fine with ZA but having read the Help file on eMule it says it doesnt particularly like ZA & actually recommended Sunbelt Kerio!
You cant actually specify the ports in ZA unless you have the pro version,believe me ive tried.

blitzmaster
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x86
Avant Version: 11.7 build 26
IE Version: IE 8

Post by blitzmaster » Sun May 06, 2007 4:19 pm

yes, emule worked fine on my xp2! with ZA internet security firewall! i believe ZA is the firewall!
By Any Means Necessary!