image toolbar doesn't recognize jpgs

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

zdoon
Avant Version:

image toolbar doesn't recognize jpgs

Post by zdoon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:31 pm

UPDATE: Fixed. Go to my second post on page 2 to read about details.

Hi!

Long story short, against my "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule, I updated to the new 11+ avant (I was previously using 10.1 xx version).

Anyway, since then I noticed the floating image toolbar doesn't pop up for jpg images. However, it does come up for .gif files.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the older version of Avant but I still have the problem, hence I'm posting now.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks a bunch. :)

ps: Yes, the hold ctrl option is disabled. I have also rebooted my computer, I have also disabled IE toolbar...
Last edited by zdoon on Thu May 24, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:11 am

Can you provide a link to a page where it isn't appearing. Maybe someone can duplicate the problem.

zdoon
Avant Version:

Re: image toolbar doesn't recognize jpgs

Post by zdoon » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:40 am

Hi!

Here's the problem: Absolutely NO .jpg files work with the toolbar; it doesn't matter what page they're on, what their url is. The toolbar simply does not pop up for them, whereas it pops up for .gif files wherever they are.

To give you an example page:

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9453 ... p00xc7.jpg

The above won't give me floating toolbar. Whereas something like:

http://forum.avantbrowser.com/templates ... _phpBB.gif

...will give me a floating toolbar. Floating toolbar comes up for any gif, larger gifs etc..

I rebooted several times. I have even tinkered a bit with the registry, changing jpegs to gifs and deleted all traces of avant, and reinstalling again.

Any clue?

One more piece of information: The toolbar does appear if I hover my mouse over a picture while it's still loading on the page. But after it's loaded, then nothing.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:58 am

Try right-clicking on the picture while holding CTRL. I spend a decent amount of my day searching and copying pictures, mainly JPGs, and sometimes get annoyed by the floating toolbar... but I also have a hard time getting it to come up in your example. I think the difference is our behavior, so I"m curious to see if right-clicking does anything for you.

You're right, though, it comes up easily with the GIF, as it should with the JPG.

zdoon
Avant Version:

Post by zdoon » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi hornakapopolis.

I've tried right clicking while holding various combinations of buttons, the left ctrl, the right ctrl, etc.. It's still ineffective.

The image toolbar is one of those features about Avant that I love and so this is not something I can ignore.

Any other suggestions?

I'll tell you exactly when the problem appeared. After I updated to the new Avant, everything was working fine, but then I decided to click on the "hold ctrl down for image toolbar" feature through the toolbar itself. Since then, it hasn't been appearing.

I've tried enabling the hold ctrl option and disabling it several times to make sure it wasn't stuck in that mode. And, again, I installed, uninstalled, fresh installed, as well. Still nada.

ps: I'm using Windows XP, sp 2.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:19 pm

You could try renaming your conf.ini file. That resets your settings, but maybe it's an issue there. (%userprofile%\Application Data\Avant Profiles\Avant Profile Name\Bookmarks.

Another option is to rename Avant's executable to iexplore and then use IE's Image toolbar and automatic image resizing.

zdoon
Avant Version:

Post by zdoon » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:21 pm

This is a bit sad and frustrating.

I tried both suggestions and both are ineffective. Renaming the configuration file set my Avant to fresh default settings, and the problem is still there.

I renamed avant.exe to iexplore.exe but still nothing.

Sadly, I can't do a system restore either since I missed the restore point since this problem's been around for a few days...

ps: I did do a registry restore to a backup I made in February. Still nothing. But oddly enough when I log into other accounts on this computer, avant works just fine. (note: I have even tried taking the application data from those other accounts and using them on the present one but to no effect...). I don't think the problem I have relates to Avant settings in particular, but something else even though the only problem that I'm seeing on my computer relates to this toolbar. Everything else is fine. I'm hoping someone with knowledge of this would know what to do. I'm currently doing a spyware check.

zdoon
Avant Version:

Post by zdoon » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:15 am

Another piece of the puzzle is this:

I can get a toolbar to appear for any jpg on my computer that I open in avant. So if the image address is something like c:\\desktop\picture.jpg and I have it open in a tab then I can get a toolbar to appear for it as normal.

Is there any computer genius here who can solve this?

Sure, I can do without the image toolbar but I'd really like to know what the problem here is and what the solution is, as a matter of principle.

zdoon
Avant Version:

Post by zdoon » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:11 pm

No suggestions?

Here's another weird thing.

If in the current account I do a diagnostic startup (boots basic service only) or even safe mode reboot, the problem still remains.

Now isn't that weird? In every other account (guest and administrator) the toolbar works. And, again, it doesn't matter what the application data for avant browser is.

I've tried doing registry repair and restoring registry and everything and nothing.

Please help me out.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:36 pm

The image toolbar in Avant is exactly that... in Avant, so it doesn't seem like some of what you tried would be helpful.

...But, the only other thing I can think of is that there's something causing Avant not to recognize those images as JPGs.

Does this account use a different default image viewer or anything like that? (Admittedly, this is grasping at straws.)

zdoon
Avant Version:

Post by zdoon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:40 am

But why does Avant recognize jpgs if they're opened from a local address (eg c://windows/picture.jpg) and doesn't recognize the same picture when it's opened from an internet address (eg. http://imageshack.com/picture.jpg)?

That imageshack jpg above gives me a toolbar if I drag and drop the picture into a new tab and open it from the temp internet folder.

Anyway, jpgs on this user account are opened by that windows picture viewer thing, as usual.

Please continue to help me out. Every computer problem of this kind must have an intelligible cause and solution.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:43 am

I would wager Zdoon has a system problem, more than anything else.

Nothing wrong seen with the Zdoon example page here:

<< http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9453 ... p00xc7.jpg >>
or
<< http://imageshack.com/picture.jpg >>

or any others that can be ran as a test. Both of the above .JPG's display fine, and trigger the Image Toolbar correctly, and the Image Toolbar performs properly, on the systems we test and run on.

Many users or others that may use their PC's may likely have run one or more "improves your settings in XP/Vista or Windows in general" tools that alter system settings or display potentials.... we seen that more often than not on the 40-42 (so far) systems that I oversee, that run Avant 11 B46.

Most likely some setting in Avant (OR) also check the more "generic" settings under Avant > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced to be sure that these generic settings have not been altered.

Make sure especially, that the XP or Vista system is not set to disable any graphics or viewing of same.

Otherwise, this is clearly a system problem...
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

zdoon
Avant Version:

Post by zdoon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:04 am

Hi josephrot and thanks for the reply!
josephrot wrote:Many users or others that may use their PC's may likely have run one or more "improves your settings in XP/Vista or Windows in general" tools that alter system settings or display potentials.... we seen that more often than not on the 40-42 (so far) systems that I oversee, that run Avant 11 B46.
Would the above be relevant considering I have the toolbar problem in safeboot mode as well, but don't have the problem when I log in through other use accounts on this computer?
Most likely some setting in Avant (OR) also check the more "generic" settings under Avant > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced to be sure that these generic settings have not been altered.
I have reset internet explorer settings to default. The problem remains. Are you referring to something else?
Make sure especially, that the XP or Vista system is not set to disable any graphics or viewing of same.
I'm wondering if the above matters considering that the toolbar comes up for

1) .gif's
2a) .jpg's while they're loading
2b) .jpg's whose addresses are the local computer (eg c:\\desktop\\picture.jpg)

Thanks again.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:19 pm

About the only thing I can think that's going on here is that there's a in issue with how that extension is recognized... something between Windows and Avant. But, admittedly, I don't know what it would be or what function would have to be "interrupted." Even then, it seems to me that the only place something could be changed would be the registry... and that is all wild guessing.

All of this has made me wonder if an image originally saved with a different extension, like jpeg or jpe would make a difference.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:50 pm

...or maybe its something to do with proxies? I don't really know anything about proxies but maybe something there will pioint you in the right direction.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:06 pm

bigC wrote:...or maybe its something to do with proxies? I don't really know anything about proxies but maybe something there will point you in the right direction.
Hmm, now that could be a problem area. With a Proxy in between Avant and the remote web site, it COULD be possible that Avant is only able to display graphics as the remote site sends them -- and if the graphic URL is "stopped" by the Proxy address scheme....

However, if that were so, then there would be a great deal of the "red x's" in boxes that should be showing graphics or pictures, rather than the floating image tool bar not working or "energizing" to come on-screen and work.

Proxy as a problem would seem pretty remote... but these days, almost anything is possible.... :shock:
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

Kamugin
Avant Version:

Post by Kamugin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:12 pm

I'm experiencing the same issue: the floating toolbar that appears when we move mouse cursor over an image (jpg, gif, etc) disappeared. It is still active on Avant options and "hold ctrl for exhibition" isn't checked. I've already uninstalled Avant, erasing all saved configurations, then re-installed it, but that toolbar still isn't appear... the toolbar for selected text still appears normally. After reading all information submitted here, I think only a complete formatting and Windows re-installing can solve the problem :(

pisssed
Avant Version:

Post by pisssed » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:12 am

After reading all information submitted here, I think only a complete formatting and Windows re-installing can solve the problem

I dont agree with that got to many with the same prob at the same time??????????

But the again I'm just a floor cleaner :)

Kamugin
Avant Version:

Post by Kamugin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:33 am

That toolbar was useful for me when some webpages have that lousy script disabling right clicks on images, you cannot choose "save picture as". Disabling scripts and then reload the page can solve the matter sometimes, but there are most annoying pages that pictures open only via script, then disabling scripts isn't an option. The floating toolbar wasn't affected by scripts... this bug forced-me to install Opera browser, it has an iteresting feature that could be implemented in a new Avant browser release: javascript options can be configured, and the right click script can be disabled, while all others are still running. Another interesting feature is that small window that appears when we move the mouse cursor over a page tab, it shows the page content without the need to open it.

I think this bug first appear after I have a crash because some program I already uninstalled, but now I can't remember wich program was.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 am

Kamugin wrote:...and the right click script can be disabled
Try this Add-on.

Hopefully, some others will have some different ideas as I'm completely stumped. The toolbar still opens for me and is seemingly opening a little easier in the latest betas.