How To Place Bookmarks on the Bookmarks Bar

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

epiac1216
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

How To Place Bookmarks on the Bookmarks Bar

Post by epiac1216 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:06 am

I just downloaded latest version of Avant Browser Version 11, Build 46 and can't place my favorite bookmarks on the Bookmarks Bar.

In other browsers its just a "drag and drop" operation, but here they just won't move to the Bookmarks Bar.

Can you please show me how to do this? It's frustrating to see an empty Bookmarks Bar having so many useful bookmarks ready to move to this spot.

Thank you in advance,

Omar.-
Last edited by epiac1216 on Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:08 am

It's nothing your doing wrong. Avant does not currently support Drag and Drop for saving bookmarks. You'll have to use the traditional means.

epiac1216
Avant Version:

Post by epiac1216 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:10 am

Hi Denny

Thanks. But what is the traditional means? I've tried everything and nothing seems to work.

Regards,

Omar-

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:45 am

epiac1216 wrote:But what is the traditional means?
Sorry... by keyboard or mouse.

You can open the save bookmarks menu by:
  • Pressing CTRL+D
  • Clicking Bookmarks -> New Bookmark in the top menu
  • The bookmarks bar also as a New Bookmark button on its far left. (Although, if you've right-clicked another Bookmarks folder and chose Set as the Root of Bookmarks Bar, that button, along with Organize disappears.)
  • The button is also available in the sidebar under the Bookmarks area
  • And finally, you can also right-click the tab and choose Add to Bookmarks

epiac1216
Avant Version:

Post by epiac1216 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:00 am

"The bookmarks bar also as a New Bookmark button on its far left. (Although, if you've right-clicked another Bookmarks folder and chose Set as the Root of Bookmarks Bar, that button, along with Organize disappears.) "

Hi Denny:

By mistake I did just that (Set as the Root of Bookmarks Bar), and all my Bookmark folders that I had on my Bookmark Bar disappeared.

Is there a way to get the New Bookmark button? I went to the sidebar under the Bookmarks area but did not see any button. Can you be more specific. I think we are near a solution to my problem.

The icons I can see in the Bookmarks area are:

1. Search
2. Bookmarks
3. RSS
4. History
5. Blocked URLs

If I remove my current Avant Browser and download another copy, will I get my buttons back?

Thanks a lot.

Omar.-

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:51 am

Before I even answer your post, let's get this out of the way (especially since it might pertain to your issue). Avant's Bookmarks Bar is essentially the Bookmarks menu as a toolbar. (As in File Edit View Bookmarks AutoFill Tools... etc.) In IE, the Links folder acts as the toolbar, so in Avant, you can choose a folder to act as IE's Links folder. The catch to this is that the folder must be directly under the Bookmarks menu. (Like Bookmarks -> Links, not Bookmarks -> Links -> Microsoft Links)

To set a folder to act as the root of the toolbar, select that option while right-clicking on it. To de-select, click the option again.
epiac1216 wrote:By mistake I did just that (Set as the Root of Bookmarks Bar), and all my Bookmark folders that I had on my Bookmark Bar disappeared.
As I wrote above, if this is all that you did, then right-clicking the folder in the Bookmarks menu and clicking the option again will de-select it. If you can't match up your bookmarks and so you're unsure which folder it is, simply right-click another folder, choose it as the root, and then unselect it.
epiac1216 wrote:Is there a way to get the New Bookmark button? I went to the sidebar under the Bookmarks area but did not see any button.
From your list below, it sounds like you didn't go far enough.
epiac1216 wrote:The icons I can see in the Bookmarks area are:

1. Search
2. Bookmarks
3. RSS
4. History
5. Blocked URLs
This isn't the "Bookmarks area." This is the Sidebar. Clicking on the Bookmarks icon that you mention will take you to the Bookmarks in the sidebar.
epiac1216 wrote:If I remove my current Avant Browser and download another copy, will I get my buttons back?
No, you'd have to delete the configuration file. That might be worth trying to if none of this works, but it's really overkill for this issue.

epiac1216
Avant Version:

Post by epiac1216 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:01 am

Hi Denny:

I tried right-clicking all the folders located in he Bookmarks Menu and I get the following options in all the folders:

1. Open all links in this folder
2. Create new folders
3. Expand
4. Rename
5. Edit
6. Delete
7. Sort by name

I don't see the "Root of the Toolbar" option.

I also clicked on the Bookmarks icon inside the Sidebar and this took me to the area outside of the Bookmark sidebar.

What am I doing wrong? This is very confusing to me. It seems to me the other web browsers are much easier to use. Don't you think so?

How do I delete the Configuration File if all of the above doesn't work?

Regards,

Omar.-

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Re: How To Place Bookmarks on the Bookmarks Bar

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:11 pm

I'll admit that Avant could certainly use a new Help file. But I'm getting the feeling now that it's basic terminology that's getting in our way. Take a look at this screenshot. Make sure you're checking the Bookmarks menu, not the toolbar.

To create a new configuration file, do this. With Avant closed, look for the Documents and Settings\Your Windows username\Application Data\Avant Profiles\.default if you're not using online storage or your e-mail address if you are\conf.dat and rename it.

Renaming it will allow you to go back to it if this doesn't work.

Avant stores its advanced settings in that Avant Profiles folder, but further located in conf\conf.dat. I would doubt that this setting is stored in that file, but you could try that one, too, if the first one doesn't work.

epiac1216
Avant Version:

Post by epiac1216 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi Denny:

I'm afraid my knowledge on computers is limited. I could understand very little of what you said about the configuration file.

I think I'll just go back to using Firefox and Flock which are more user friendly.

Thanks a lot for your guidance and support.

Regards,

Omar.-

Babylon5
Avant Version:

Post by Babylon5 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:23 pm

What happened to the small icon that used to sit next the the links folders (by default) to bookmark or add the current page directly to the links bar? You would click that and a window opened listing all the folders under the links section to add to the bookmarks directly. That was so simple and easy.

It was there under 10.x. Ever since 11.x I cannot find that to turn it back on, was this removed?

That was one of the most handy things to have to add bookmarks.
That small feature is one reason I started using Avant to begin with.

PLEASE bring that back!!

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Those buttons were a feature of the links bar, which was removed in the 11 Series ...

daveshrop
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: 8

Post by daveshrop » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:25 pm

I think epiac is making a big deal out of configuring the
Bookmarks Bar!
I find it quicker to use the bookmarks option in the Menu Bar
& keep the Bookmarks Bar unchecked & hidden.
Avant far outweighs FF in its speed etc. to let a minor point like a Bookmarks Bar be a stumbling block :roll:

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:30 pm

No offence Dave but, a minor point to and easier for, yourself isn't necessarily of similar status to others.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:44 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:Those buttons were a feature of the links bar, which was removed in the 11 Series ...
...if you're using IE Favorites or not using Avant's default Bookmarks folder as the root of the toolbar.

Babylon5
Avant Version:

Post by Babylon5 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:40 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:Those buttons were a feature of the links bar, which was removed in the 11 Series ...
Why? What possible reason would you remove something so small and unobtrusive yet so powerful? Just hitting that icon and adding my current page to my links was extremely handy.

It would not hurt to have an option to turn that back on would it? I have my links bar across the screen above the tabs. So I have a nice neat cascading menu system for my bookmarks. This was why I started using Avant (for sometime now BTW) in the first place. The book mark organization. So now your nurfiing the functionality???

This along with Avants constant CPU issues is reason to use FF and believe me I really do NOT want to use FF!!

Avant is really cool but removing features is annoying.

Also can you leave my current setting alone when I upgrade????
I am about tired of updating Avant to only have to re-set everything up again. Including, but not limited to, all my search settings. Again, another reason leave it.

Please do not make me abandon AB, it is great otherwise...

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:03 pm

Babylon5 wrote:Why? What possible reason would you remove something so small and unobtrusive yet so powerful?
I think, technically, "not placed on the new IE Favorites interface" might be more accurate than "removed." We all need to keep in mind the history of this thing. Anderson decided to drop IE's Favorites to use his own proprietary bookmarks and then later decided, through user requests, to add IE Favorites back. My guess would be that the toolbar isn't the same toolbar that it was before.
Babylon5 wrote:This was why I started using Avant (for sometime now BTW) in the first place. The book mark organization.
Avant used IE's Favorites and interface before when it came to bookmarks. Nothing was Avant's. It was all IE's. This doesn't make sense to me. Just curious.
Babylon5 wrote:Also can you leave my current setting alone when I upgrade????
I am about tired of updating Avant to only have to re-set everything up again. Including, but not limited to, all my search settings. Again, another reason leave it.
This has been addressed elsewhere (being fixed for some and not for others), but you might want to make sure Avant is completely closed when you update. This doesn't happen to everyone, so there must be a mitigating factor somewhere.

PVTele
Avant Version:

Post by PVTele » Sat May 12, 2007 11:28 am

This may cut through some of the confusion - a small fact I discovered when trying to solve this issue msyelf...

There is a folder named Links among the folders in the main Bookmarks menu. That's the menu next to File Edit View at the very top of the AB interface - I'm not now talking about the sidebar. (If there isn't a Links folder in your bookmarks, you can create one, just like creating any other folder, in the Organize Bookmarks dialog.)

If you set this folder as the root of the Bookmarks Bar as described above (right-click it in the Bookmarks menu) you have a links bar. To add links to it, just use the normal New Bookmark dialog, and select Links as the folder to add to. Done!

Really, as someone who's moved from Firefox to Avant, it's not "less user friendly," just different... there's a little learning curve, just like there was moving from IE5.5 to Firefox 0.9, back in those dim and distant days :wink:

anthonyjohn41
Avant Version:

Post by anthonyjohn41 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:35 pm

I am not a techie, but where is the problem if you just want to add to bookmarks?. there is the sidebar, there is the small icon, one of three, next to the X at the top of the sidebar. Just click on that if you want to save a bookmark, a box pops up which lets you save it in any folder you choose, or make a new folder to put it in.