Making bookmarks "local" or "public"

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

realmgic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Making bookmarks "local" or "public"

Post by realmgic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:25 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to "tell" the syncronizer which bookmarks I want to syncronize and which one belongs to that computer only.
for example: I'm using 2 computers - my desktop at home and the one at my office.
Some of the bookmarks I have at my office are irrelevent (most of them anyhow) to my desktop at home. Some of the bookmarks at my desktop at home shouldn't be at my office.
What I'm looking for is a way to tell a bookmark if it's "local" or "public".

Thanks and congrats for the new version,
Zohar

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:25 am

Avant doesn't have bookmark by bookmark synchronization. (Personally, it seems to me that if you have a lot of bookmarks, you'll soon just be asking for a headache.)

Would it mess things up too much to simply have two sets... one for home and one for the office? Using File -> Export, you could export all of your bookmarks so that you have them somewhere as a backup. Then either setup a new online account for the office (or use the account you already have), remove all of the bookmarks you don't use there, and then setup a second online account for use at home doing the same thing for there.

While that setup sounds confusing (let me know if I need to explain it better), it's not as difficult as it reads and that's how I separate mine.

You could also just create separate folders for the two. Taking that one step farther, you could change the root of the bookmarks bar depending on where you're at.

Just to be clear, though, you do realize that Avant is using its own proprietary bookmark format now in Version 11 and not IE's Favorites, (unless you have that option selected) right?

realmgic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Making bookmarks "local" or "public"

Post by realmgic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:50 am

Thanks for the quick respond.

1. I understand that it's proprietary bookmarks and it works fine for me since I've been using the Avant for two years now and I can't work without it.

2. The big deal about online accounts is that I can syncronize some things between diffrent computer I use. for most things - it's great but for some it's very bad. I don't want my hobbies link to be sent to the office the same way I don't want my links to internal servers (intranet) sent to my home.

3. what would be the benifit by haveing two accounts at the same time?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:00 pm

By having the two accounts, your Avant setup would look the same depending on which account you're logged into. When you're at home, you'd log into your home account and your hobbies bookmarks would show up in your list. While at the office, you'd log into that account (keeping in mind that both of these computers would 'login' automatically, so there's nothing you'd have to remember) and your intranet bookmarks would show up there automatically.

If at some point, you decided you needed a link from the other, you'd go to File -> My Account -> Switch Account and long into the other one.

I, for instance, have about 1600 work links and many, many more at home. I have two different accounts, so each is here I need them to be, but the other is always accessible with the online storage.

It's essentially two sets of bookmarks. Hopefully, that answers 2 & 3.

hughwolfe
Avant Version:

Post by hughwolfe » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:12 am

Last edited by hughwolfe on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:32 pm

First, I fixed your quote BBCode. ;)

You missed my point on the "bookmarks/headache" thing. I'm not saying that having a lot of bookmarks means you're asking for a headache, I said that having bookmark by bookmark synchronization with a lot of bookmarks would be asking for a headache... meaning that having to synchronize site by site would take forever with a lot of bookmarks.

For instance, even if it would mean you might have some dupes, wouldn't it be easier to split those into two groups depending on where you need them (work or home) than go through all 1100 one by one and making sure it is synched?