Where has the Ad blacklist gone?

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

molokov
Avant Version:

Where has the Ad blacklist gone?

Post by molokov » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:56 am

I just upgraded to Avant Browser 11.0 build 5 this morning, and after re-adjusting all the settings to my liking (kind of annoying that it didn't pick up the v10 settings) I decided I'd flush out and recreate my Ad blacklist,
using the suggestions from the old Community Adblack.dat thread.

In any case... I edited adblack.dat and my changes are definitely there. But when I load Avant Browser, the ad black list shown in the ad blocker dialog box is still my old data... and yet even when I change it, the changes are not placed in adblack.dat.

I even added a new entry 'newadtest.com', saved the new link, exited Avant Browser, and then searched my ENTIRE HARD DRIVES for this text, and it's not in any files modified today....

So I don't get it. Where is the ad blacklist data stored now?

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:02 am

It's stored in one of the files in <drive>:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Avant Profiles\ (%appdata%/Avant Profiles) which is encrypted. There is no way to modify these files outside of Avant anymore.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

Frankster
Avant Version:

Post by Frankster » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:16 pm

good idea to encrypt the file, bad idea to not let the user import the data from the old version.

and yet another flaw with v11 - another brick in the wall build to block v11.

v11 development is going into the wrong direction.

all the little gadgets like autofill or storing profiles online are pretty great - but not good if you want at least a tiny piece of security.
instead of developing such thingies it would have been a much better idea to leave rss as it was - functional!

I stick with v10 for now...

ps: Avant development reminds me on Zonealarm .. 6.1.744 working flawlessly, now we're on 6.5.7xx, and since 6.1.744 every version was crappier than the one before. :(

scotthco
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Where has the Ad blacklist gone?

Post by scotthco » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:20 pm

I agree that if users are not going to be allowed to edit the ad blacklist outside of AB, there absolutely needs to be some sort of import/export functionality added. To be forced to add sites to the list one by one is not very user friendly.