Changing Color of Skins

Post general questions related to skin development here. Skins in development may also be placed here to solicit comments.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
When posting a topic about a new skin you have released, follow the sample posts here. If your post does not closely resember the sample post, you risk getting it deleted. This is not to try to make you life difficult, it is to keep a consistent look throughout the forum to assist the downloaders.
MaryAnn
Avant Version:

Changing Color of Skins

Post by MaryAnn » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:51 pm

I love the beveled style of the "Dream" skin. The same as in Office Adaptive. I previously had this type of skin in several colors but with the upgrade to ll.5 20 build all my skins no longer work.

I downloaded the AB Skin Maker but really don't know what to do with it. I know where to pick the skin I want to work on but have no idea how to change the color. That's all I want to do----change the color.

Please help me to make my AB perfect again.

Thanks.........MaryAnn

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Re: Changing Color of Skins

Post by Sara » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:01 am

You can either run your old skins thru the new skin maker using the crystal setting and then re-save them. You might need to lighten the progress bar in the address bar sso the txt is visible. This will maintain the icons you have as well. Or take a small sample of the color you want, save it as a bmp file and then use it to change the top and bottom backgrounds. Click on stretch. You'll have the new default icons with this method. You don't need a big sample. You'll need a graphics program that can crop a sample for you. Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ is free and fairly easy to use.

Sara :)

MaryAnn
Avant Version:

Post by MaryAnn » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:21 am

I tried cropping a small piece of color I like and applied it as you advised. I can see how this works but I lose the bevel look. How do I keep that look?

Thanks for the help......MaryAnn
MaryAnn

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:39 am

That may not transfer well. You'd need a clean cut of the background (top or bottom) from top to bottom. and it may not line up as well as in the old skin. I tried to convert a couple of skins like that and they looked odd. Did you try the first method? You may have the same problem.

MaryAnn
Avant Version:

Post by MaryAnn » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:22 am

I tried both ways but still lose the bevel look.

I guess I'll just wait until someone else uploads a new release of the skins.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep playing with the Skin Maker.

MaryAnn

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:17 am

If you are talking about the old default beveled Drean skin, try this:
Dreamy.skn
(92.57 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Every time I tried to save it as Dream.skn it reverted to the new icons. I had to change the name to keep the originals.

If this isn't it, could you upload the one you want and I'll give it a try. BTW, I don't like the active tab color (orange), but I don't think we can change that yet--just the font color.

MaryAnn
Avant Version:

Post by MaryAnn » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:14 pm

Yes...that's the one I like...Dream/Dreamy.

I have it in light blue, med. blue and off white. I would love to have it in beige, teal blue or light yellow.

I don't know why, but I only like to use the bevel-look toolbars. It gives Avant a definite different look from any other browser.

Thanks again..........MaryAnn