What do I do?

Post general questions related to skin development here. Skins in development may also be placed here to solicit comments.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
When posting a topic about a new skin you have released, follow the sample posts here. If your post does not closely resember the sample post, you risk getting it deleted. This is not to try to make you life difficult, it is to keep a consistent look throughout the forum to assist the downloaders.
Shewolf526
Avant Version:

What do I do?

Post by Shewolf526 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:32 pm

Im feeling really stupid cause i dont know how to use the avant custom skin plug-in i downloaded this morning. I made something but how do i get it to go in the browser. I tried downloading some cool stuff i found here, but i havent any idea how to get any of that going either.
I have windows xp.. avantbrowser 11 if you need anything else for info on my pc please let me know.

Shewolf526
Avant Version:

Re: What do I do?

Post by Shewolf526 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:34 pm

*next post*
Last edited by Shewolf526 on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shewolf526
Avant Version:

Post by Shewolf526 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:22 pm

To get your skin to show up in Avant Browser, you have to exit the browser completely and start it up again. Then go into Tools -> Skin -> Your Skin to load up your skin

I dont have the YOUR SKIN option.

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:01 pm

Be sure that when you download the skin that it's installed into the skins folder in Avant Browser. On my machine, it's located in Program Files/Avant Browser/Skins.

If the skin you downloaded is somewhere else, locate it, highlight it, then click Edit and select move to folder and move it to the skins folder that way.

Pip

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

Shewolf526
Avant Version:

Post by Shewolf526 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:15 pm

ok, they werent in that file but i did successfuly move them to where they should be. However im still not getting that option even after a few times of closing the browser and restarting it. what am i doing wrong?

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:29 pm

This option is not called "Your skins".
You just need to pick the name of the skin under Tools>Skins.
To make it easier,It's better to "Auto-Install" the skin by changing "http://" with "abs://" in the URL string.

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:12 pm

That didn't work for me Mike. It installs as dload.skn.

Pete

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

Shewolf526
Avant Version:

Post by Shewolf526 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:17 pm

ok new problem...HUGE! i figured out the skin thing and i even found 1 i liked.. i added several from a page i found here in the fourms...lol NOW i get no browser, I had to open IE to get here. while opening extration files 1 stopped and cause windows to stop funtioning. i had to manually shut down and now avant only opens to the icon and freezes. ive rebooted twice, an ddeleted out the extracted files ect... what went wrong?

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:21 pm

Pip wrote:That didn't work for me Mike. It installs as dload.skn.

Pete
Same here but the skin works fine.
Shewolf526 wrote: ok new problem...HUGE! i figured out the skin thing and i even found 1 i liked.. i added several from a page i found here in the fourms...lol NOW i get no browser, I had to open IE to get here. while opening extration files 1 stopped and cause windows to stop funtioning. i had to manually shut down and now avant only opens to the icon and freezes. ive rebooted twice, an ddeleted out the extracted files ect... what went wrong?
Are you using the online-storage feature?Or you're storing your data locally?

Shewolf526
Avant Version:

Post by Shewolf526 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:23 pm

This is where I got the files from, and it was only the zip files that cause me issues... http://forum.avantbrowser.com/dload.php ... y&cat_id=3

ok i noticed under properties, avant is tring to open from the skins...is that correct. is that where its supposed to open from

Shewolf526
Avant Version:

Post by Shewolf526 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:24 pm

Are you using the online-storage feature?Or you're storing your data locally?[/quote] Not storing it online at all.. i was downloading straight to the pc into the skins..:(

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:32 pm

What I meant was...
When you've first started Avant Browser,Did you registered for an online storage account?Or you've selected to store all your data locally?
If you've selected to store it locally,Please try to go to C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Avant Profiles\.default & try to rename the conf.dat file.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

Shewolf526
Avant Version:

Post by Shewolf526 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:59 pm

I didnt register..I use another online storage. I understand what you mean also.
I feel better I fixed the problems...lol I unistalled avant (fustration does that) and reinstalled. But before i did i moved the files in skins i wanted to keep to the desk top. the moved them back..NOW evrything is working fantastic. and i see what i did wrong before.
thank youall for tring to help..:P BTW incase you wanna laugh what i did was I saved those zip files right to skins, and opened them there as well. ooops ...lmao