Fine tuning skins

Post general questions related to skin development here. Skins in development may also be placed here to solicit comments.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
When posting a topic about a new skin you have released, follow the sample posts here. If your post does not closely resember the sample post, you risk getting it deleted. This is not to try to make you life difficult, it is to keep a consistent look throughout the forum to assist the downloaders.
vicntc
Avant Version:

Fine tuning skins

Post by vicntc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:00 pm

Hello Mr. H (hornakapopolis),

I've been using AB for a while and enjoying the visual benefits of the skinning feature. My personal favourite is the skin(s) based on the Qute work by Arvid Axelsson.

I am currently using the Qute skin ported by gfdd.net. However, since upgrading to AB 10.1 build 17, the "system" icons for "Maximize", "Close All" etc reverted back to the black default icons. I'm not sure if they (gfdd.net) have any plans to update their port so I went looking for alternates.

I then found the Qute version 3 you recently posted here and decided to try it. While very similar/true to the previous versions, I noticed a couple of differences I was hoping you might be able to address:

1. The GFDD.net port has a more "rounded" feel to the tab toolbar. I suspect it's a matter of shading and personal preference. This is carried through to the menu's where the selection bar has a much more "3D" or rounded effect.

2. Icons for "Organise Links" and "Add the current page". It may be my eye sight but I find these two particular icons difficult to see/relate to their function. They don't seem to fit/match well with the other Qute icons in the set. I do like the icons you chose for the Xplorer Qute skin but then I lose all the other Qute icons of the set. I also prefer the replacement system icons you chose/used in the Qute set as opposed to those in the Xplorer sert (sys or nosys). Ideally, my preference would be to incorporate the system, "Organise Links" and "Add the current page" from the GFDD.net port into your version.

3. Menu/Selection bar. As referenced above, the menu/selection bar could benefit (IMHO only perhaps) from a little more attention. For example, if you could replicate/borrow the effects from the AB Xito or Tristan skins (not the skin but the menu selection bar effect only) or even the GFDD.net port, I would propose that would greatly enhance the overall completeness of your efforts (and make me very very happy). :)

4. Again, it may just be my eye sight/resolution but the icons in your port vs those in the GFDD.net port, appear to be a tad more jagged around the edges. Maybe it's the colour choice or gradiation effect in the GFDD.net port that aids in the reduction of jagged appearance or maybe I'm just seeing things.

Overall, as a highly unartisticly skilled person, I wanted to thank you (and the other folks as well) for all their efforts in creating skins for AB. I hope my comments will be received as positive feedback (as they are intended). Thanks again.
Regards,

John <vicntc@nospam.gmail.com>
Remove "nospam." when responding via email

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:19 pm

Thanks for attention to the skin. It's appreciated. :)

I'm running a little late, so I'm going to have to make this quick.

1. I'm not sure what you mean here. The only thing skinnable on the tab bar is the "Working" icon. The appearance of the tab itself is standard through out Avant.

2. One of my favorite things about the Qute icons is the actual Qute logo. It's hard to combine it with anything though because it's so thin. Since this is really a "preference" thing, I'd recommend downloading Skin Factory and inserting the other icons. Hopefully, gfd won't mind that I took the liberty of uploading them to ImageShack. ;)

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/3186 ... add9pc.png

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4823 ... org8jg.png

ImageShack seems to convert BMPs to PNGs, though. When you save them , save them as BMPs.

3. In Skin Factory, you can change this by choosing a different Visual Style. Again, personally, I'd consider this a preference thing as I wouldn't really like the silver from Xito and have never liked the dual colored bars.

4. I'd agree that they are more jagged. I considered going through and softening them a bit, but ultimately decided against it. I might still, though. I'll think about it more now that it's been brought up. I kept them the way they were, though, because most are direct copies of the icons in Arvid Axelsson's downloadable file.

Thanks again for the mention and let me know if you have a problem with the two icons in Skin Factory.

vicntc
Avant Version:

Post by vicntc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:00 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply!

May I ask how you extracted the icons? I downloaded the files and used IrfanView to convert them to BMP files (Skin Factory couldn't read them when I just renamed them so Imageshack must actually convert them). This worked quite nicely. I'd like to continue with a few more personal "tweaks" if you don't mind and being able to mix-n-match icons would be first on the list. Of course, if it's okay with the powers that be, I'll upload here with full credit to the original creators etc.

I also tried to go to Arvid's web site but neither IE or AB would display the site properly. I'm guessing I should be seeing images or files for download but all I got was a numbers (e.g. 1.) then blanks.

Any other tips and pointers would be appreciated and thank you again for your assistance.
Regards,

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:27 pm

In the future, you can click on that link to show the image, and then when you're saving it, choose BMP from the Save as type list. That should save you the hassle with hacing to convert them elsewhere.

As for extracting the icons...

In my skins, I save all of my files because I got sick of having to do the second method whenever I wanted to start from scratch. (So, if there's any you need, just let me know, or you can get them from the downloads section of my site (if you register).

Arvid's site has always been a "properly coded" haven, I guess. Going there in a Gecko browser will let you see everything.

As for my skins... do whatever you want with them. If it turns out bad, you don't have to reference me at all. ;)

vicntc
Avant Version:

Post by vicntc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:29 pm

Thanks. Registered, downloaded, now off to fiddle...
Regards,

vicntc
Avant Version:

Post by vicntc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:12 pm

Hello Mr. H.,

Making good progress however I've come across a couple of missing icons in your set.

In the "new" system icon area there is a big black X for Exit (similar but not the same as Close). I saved one of your other images that I wasn't going to use (popups) in 13x13 for the time being. It seems to fit quite well.

I was wondering if you had an Exit icon for the system area?

Ditto for Minimize and Minimize Avant browser (I used the same icon for both again but wanted to check).

Thanks.

PS I think I'm about done. Shall I sen it to you for review?
Regards,

vicntc
Avant Version:

Post by vicntc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:30 pm

PS I have also come across one icon in the System area that isn't listed (or I can't find) in ABSkin.exe

If you select Compact Style, an icon appears in the bar for "Restore Avant browser". If you select this, AB is set back into Windowed mode (from Full screen?) and another "new" icon is dsplayed in black. Hovering over that icon displays the text "maximise Avant Browser".

I can't find/see this icon anywhere in ABSkins to adjust.

Lastly, is there a list that defines what each of the icons is in the "Other images" section? Sure would make it easier to assign icons.

Thanks.
Regards,

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:58 pm

Yes, the Compact Mode has four additional icons. You probably easily found the "Hide" icon. The rest are the same icons used in the System Bar. (At least, for mine they are.)

As for the "Maximize"... I have no idea where that is at in Skin Factory. I'm not able to check it out right now, but I know I haven't added it to any of my other skins.

I don't think it's in Skin Factory to replace. Can someone else verify this?

As for the icon "legend"... you can download an older one at MysteryFCM's site. It's missing some of the newer "Other" buttons. I'll try to update it when I get a chance. It's nothing pretty. It's just something I used for myself and thought I'd pass it along. (So don't expect much ;) )

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:01 am

It look like it's there for me.

BTW.. That's BigC's Seed Skin
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

vicntc
Avant Version:

Post by vicntc » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:42 am

Yes, I saw that, however if that is the correct icon then it's not being replaced properly.

I mapped all of the "black" icons showing under "other" with icons from Mr. H's Qute set and the only one that never gets replaced is the "maximise Avant Browser".
Regards,

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:18 pm

DrDrrae, are you sure you're getting an icon for the "Maximize" button in Compact Mode's toolbar, not the regular system bar one shown all of the time?

Also, I think it'd be hard to tell with that skin because the maximize button looks like the default button in Avant.

In your screenshot, it doesn't show a Maximize button for the Compact Mode toolbar.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:34 pm

I was just guessing. I didn't try anything because I didn't have the time. If this/these buttons are really missing from ABSF, then this needs to be brought up with Anderson.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:43 pm

Personally, I wasn't going to bring it up if someone else was saying that it was there for them.