UserData

Suggestions for making Orca Browser even better go here. Note that Orca is no longer in development, and no new builds or versions of Orca are planned.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Darklord
Windows Version: Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

UserData

Post by Darklord » Thu May 14, 2009 12:13 pm

I was just wondering... Why isn't there an option to decide where to place the "Orca Profiles" folder that per default winds up in local settings under my user? Thing is, the folder "...\Orca Profiles\.default\mozdata\UserData" is pretty big, and I personally don't like programs deciding for me where to put stuff.

Couldn't find anything on the forum about this, so maybe it's just me, and other people don't mind. ;)

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: UserData

Post by kudos » Thu May 14, 2009 12:47 pm

The folder location is hardcoded within Orca, you cannot change it (unlike Firefox where you can modify profiles.ini).

If you create a folder named .default (note the dot) within the Orca folder, then Orca switches to protable mode and all of your settings are stored in that folder. (Note that online storage is not available in portable mode.)

The reason for using the application data folder is because newer versions of Windows do not allow writing to the program files folder, and the Microsoft recommended solution is to use the folder stored in the %appdata% environment variable. You will find many/most applications nowadays will store their (non-registry) data there.

To second your request - it would be nice to have the option to change it.

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics